`OnePlus One phone - 2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: OnePlus One phone - 2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER? What do you think?

If cost/specs was a main concern then no one would buy iPhones, whose specs pale compare to android. For the best cost/spec ratio before the oneplus one, it would be the nexus series. But how well does the nexus smartphones sell? In online forums you see a lot of people talking about them, but in real life, I have never seen anyone with a nexus 4/5, but a lot of people with S3/S4/N2/N3.
I actually have seen Nexus phones out in the wild. Not as much as Samsung's flagships, obviously, but some. It's not about specs, it's about performance. The iPhone delivers performance, and Apple has a huge amount of brand loyalty. That's why it is doing so well.

The most important reason why it isn't a killer phone to me is because it's not being sold by carriers. It's already lost out on like 95% of the US market right there.
Could be, but there is a big and growing market outside the US, too.

I doubt it. Even with the Moto X and Nexus smartphones, Samsung prices haven't dramatically decreased at all. Adding the OnePlus One to the mix, I don't really see it as being a game changer at this time.
On the other hand though, carriers are now trying to switch away from the subsidized phone model - primarily because they realize selling phones on installments is a better deal for them (both because they don't have to subsidize it and because it is a better hook than contracts). And there is a small but growing market looking for good off-contract pricing. The impact of this, as with most economic changes is not going to be noticed over time but all of a sudden one year. Time will tell when that will be.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

People on those plans have the money to spend on phones so they don't care, lol

Haha exactly. Although not everyone is a Samsung fanboi, many have $ to blow on the latest and greatest from their preferred company. Personally, i love Samsung TV's, i own a 32" and a 42" and will most likely buy a 55" from samsung because they look better than the LG's and Vizio's i see in my family's or friend's living room's. But for mobile devices, I never had a good experience with them. Currently have an S3 for work and before that an S2.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

A phone from an untested newcomer offshoot of the Chinese Oppo company will never find its way into my device collection. Ever.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Is it really a "flagship killer" if its only available on 2 of the 4 major carriers? I'm not going to rush to buyout my contract for this.... It seems to me if one plus really wanted to dominate the market with this great product at an outstanding price then they would be compatible with Verizon and sprint as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Could be, but there is a big and growing market outside the US, too.

Yeah, but they still have the invite system which would limit sales anyway. They aren't going to be selling gangbuster amounts until they do what they have to to get rid of that wall. There's a huge market internationally, but the potential market for this product is only a fraction of that.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm just old or a tree hugger or something, but I could think of quite a few things to do with a used, no longer wanted smartphone than destroying it.

Personally, it sounds incredibly wasteful and outright foolish to be promoting this kind of activity just for the sake of marketing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They recently changed the promotion to "Donate your old phone" instead of "Smash it."

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
They recently changed the promotion to "Donate your old phone" instead of "Smash it."

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

At least that's better... Add "can't read" to the old, tree hugger comment above :) Hehe

Thanks for the update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep I can officially say this phone is the most over hyped flounder ever. They got people doing contest just to get an invite to buy the phone. I laugh at all that dance like little monkeys just to get there next phone fix LOL. I went and brought the phone I wanted without an invite, no silly contest, and it still beats this over hyped phone.

This thing is too little to late and will be crushed by the onslaught of phones coming down the pipe. 2014 flag ship killer? Don't make me laugh because it fails hard IMO.

Last edited: