Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Scott7217
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OnePlus One: Google Play edition?

Do we need a Google Play edition of the OnePlus One?

Right now, we don't have many options for phones with screen sizes greater than 5 inches in the Play store. The only one for sale right now is the Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition, which comes with a 6.4-inch screen and a $649 price tag. I think the OnePlus One would make a great addition to the lineup.

Default Re: OnePlus One: Google Play edition?

I thought the whole concept of GPE was to strip the bloat and skin from major flagship phones like the Galaxy S and HTC One series. Since the OnePlus One runs CyanogenMod, will supposedly be very easy to root, and promises no bloat, then there probably won't be much need for a GPE version.
    yfan likes this.

No, it make no sense. First reason is that it will come with CyanogenMod, which is already close to stock Android. I have no doubt the CM11S from the OnePlus will easily work on the Oppo as well.

Both the Oppo and OnePlus will be bootloader unlocked and while I don't own them, just from reading XDA I can tell it's extremely easy to root and install custom roms to them. There will be AOSP roms made for them.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I thought the whole concept of GPE was to strip the bloat and skin from major flagship phones like the Galaxy S and HTC One series.
    I believe that Google Play edition devices merely ship with stock Android. Some people may want a OnePlus One with stock Android straight out of the box.

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    I believe that Google Play edition devices merely ship with stock Android. Some people may want a OnePlus One with stock Android straight out of the box.
    Which is essentially what they are getting with Cyanogenmod. Sure, there are some modifications, but it is as close as it gets to pure Android. I should mention that even Nexus devices are not pure Android - they are pure Google.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

OnePlus strikes me as a different sort of player. It's almost like they are doing what Google did with the Nexus except they are doing it better with less. The "less" being they don't have deep pockets and they don't make the underlying code. I think Google Execs would be pretty peeved at OnePlus at the moment and would have no interest in putting the device on Google Play.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I think Google Execs would be pretty peeved at OnePlus at the moment and would have no interest in putting the device on Google Play.
    I'm not sure what OnePlus is doing that would upset Google. Take a look at Samsung. It's looking into incorporating Tizen into its phones. I'm sure Google is not happy about that, yet it doesn't mind selling the Samsung Galaxy S 4 in the Play store. I would think Google would be upset at Samsung, not OnePlus.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Other than getting source code into cm hands faster their is no reason for a 1gpe. Cm is very close to stock android. But to each's own you can't argue with choice.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

My biggest concern with this device will be the turnaround time from when Google releases a new software iteration to it actually being pushed to the OnePlus. I get that it's close to stock which is why I'm optimistic about it, but one can never be sure.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    I'm not sure what OnePlus is doing that would upset Google. Take a look at Samsung. It's looking into incorporating Tizen into its phones. I'm sure Google is not happy about that, yet it doesn't mind selling the Samsung Galaxy S 4 in the Play store. I would think Google would be upset at Samsung, not OnePlus.
    They "out-Googled" Google. In other words, they did with the OnePlus what Google did with the Nexus. They just did it better.

I would reserve judgment about whether or not they're doing it better until the phone actually comes out. There have been way too many devices that sounded great on paper, but were ultimately very mediocre for one reason or another.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
    jdbii likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    They "out-Googled" Google. In other words, they did with the OnePlus what Google did with the Nexus. They just did it better.
    A lot of people like the Nexus 5. If OnePlus did a better job than Google, then that's a good thing.
    jdbii likes this.