I have a OnePlus One - ask me about it!

zachavm

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is rooting an option in the settings like standard CyanogenMod or do you have to do some acrobatics like with the Nexus? Also, what are the noticeable difference between this versions of CM and the community version. I wondering if anything got changed so as to adapt to being a Stock ROM.

- - - Updated - - -

You honestly expect an answer to that 20 minutes after posting?

-Eclipsed Moto X-

I think he's had it since the CM event, so a few days now.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Low light camera performance compared to other popular phones from HTC, LG, Sony, Samsung & Motorola?

Does it have it's own version of photosphere's?

Are there any custom software features, like Blinkfeed, Slide Aside, active notification, knock on, etc?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Forcedsignup

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
How is the always on voice-control compared to the Moto X? Is it as accurate or speedy? Does it support more or less commands than the Moto X? So far, I haven't really seen One Plus or Cyanogenmod talking about or demoing the feature. Any impressions would be great.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
How big is that bottom bezel in person? I know perspectives tend to be different from pictures to actually experiencing it.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
How are the speakers sounding? Comparable to any phone in particular?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Haven't used the speakers for music or anything yet, but they seem quite loud for notifications and ringtones. Will have to spend more time to compare, but they sound average right now.

Is there wireless charging or rapid charging like the oppo 7a

Sent from my Nexus 5

No-go on wireless charging. It has a Snapdragon 801 so i'll check on rapid charge.

How would you describe the quality and feel of the housing?

Very high quality, if maybe a bit heavy/dense. It's a 5.5-inch phone so it's getting a bit unwieldy, but the materials themselves are well put together. Even though the back case is removable it doesn't feel like it is.

How fast is the camera shutter when you press the button and how do the pictures look when using the flash?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Camera shutter seems fast so far. Haven't had a chance to use the flash — there's a dual LED one on there that should be bright, but every phone looks like crap when using a flash I wouldn't expect much here.

How does it feel in the hand? Do you find the phone to be too big or uncomfortable to use(need a lot of hand acrobatics)? I'm coming from a Nexus 5. And do you think that compared to other 5.5inch devices that the OnePlus One is reasonably sized or is there too much bezel? Looking forward to the full review!

As I touched on above, yeah the phone is a bit big and tough to hold onto at 5.5-inches. It's considerably larger than the Nexus 5. I'll have a better idea after I use it longer how I can adapt to using a large screen again.

Screen quality. How is it compared to SAMOLED or iPhone or nexus 5?

something like color accuracy, brightness (indoor/outdoor) saturation, contrast etc..

Haven't done any tight side-by-side comparisons, but the screen looks good. Crisp, bright and accurate. I'll have a better idea of outdoor visibility as i turn it into my primary device for a while.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you think I should upgrade to the OnePlus One from the Nexus 5?

Far more time needs to be spent with this before I can make a large comparison like that. Right now I can say the OnePlus One and the Nexus 5 are very different phones.

Does it have FM-Radio?

No app installed, and I don't believe it has the radio for it.

I would like to know how good are the speakers and the headphone port (pared with quality headphones).

Other points:

- How are the ergonomics? I was let down when I learned about the size. Does it feel more like a phablet than a big phone (M8, GS5, Z2)?
- Can it be handled with one hand with little or no discomfort?
- The camera. You can take some shots and post them or save them for an article.
- Is there something you already like about CM 11S that you didn't now it had before?
- Touch response. Is it on par with other flagships? Is there any lag on the OS?

The OnePlus One is a great device but I'm still mulling over its size. My only other option (and 1st on my list) is the HTC One M8 as I have had a great experience with the M7 for almost a year.

Thanks in advance!

Haven't even had the opportunity to put headphones into this thing. It's been 2 days :) .

I touched on this above, but it's definitely a stretch of my hand to get around the entire screen. It still feels like a phone than a "phablet," but it's a big phone.

I like the simple layout of CM11 as it reminds me of what i have on my Nexus — I also think the camera interface is interesting.

Touch response seems fine.

How long does the battery typically last before you have to recharge it?

Only had it 2 days and just put my SIM in it today. That'll take some time.

Does it run ART?

Screenshot_2014-05-02-15-26-33.jpg

Does it have all bandwidths/bands for AT&T?

Seems to. Took a bit to connect to the mobile network and find LTE the first time when I put my SIM in it, but it seems to be all square on bands.

Is rooting an option in the settings like standard CyanogenMod or do you have to do some acrobatics like with the Nexus? Also, what are the noticeable difference between this versions of CM and the community version. I wondering if anything got changed so as to adapt to being a Stock ROM.

I see no option to just tap and gain root in the settings.

CM11 S on my device is near identical to the community version. The only big new things are a fresh theme engine, the camera app and the gallery app.

How pocketable is the phone?? For people that wear normal jeans. Not skinny jeans.

Pocketable, but I, too, wear normal jeans.

Low light camera performance compared to other popular phones from HTC, LG, Sony, Samsung & Motorola?

Does it have it's own version of photosphere's?

Are there any custom software features, like Blinkfeed, Slide Aside, active notification, knock on, etc?

Haven't taken enough low light to make a judgement.

Panorama, but no photosphere at least on the software I have.

CM has TONS of software features. Far too many to list here. This isn't stock Android by a long shot. Yes, it has double tap to wake, silencing features and all that jazz.

Which sim card are you using with it? Specifically for T-Mobile what are the download speeds when compared to your Nexus 5?

AT&T SIM in there right now, but I'll test with T-Mobile over the coming weeks as well.

How big is that bottom bezel in person? I know perspectives tend to be different from pictures to actually experiencing it.

bottom bezel is small, about the size of the Nexus 5's.

Hosam Mohamed

May 2, 2014
Visit site
- Is the software upgrade restricted like normal Android software upgrade? (I mean the update comes to German (for example) first then 4 or 5 months later it comes to other country)
- How is the screen outdoor performance?
- How high the ringtone? (I got Galaxy S3, if it in pocket, I do not hear it ringing if I am outdoor)
- How the building quality?
- How is battery life?

Stakoman

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Faster than the nexus 5? and when i say faster is like switching between pages and opening apps like facebook camera then hangouts...multitasking a and if you feel any difference on using CM on the nexus 5 with the one plus it feels better?
sorry for my bad english lol

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Is there an option to have the capacitive buttons change behavior even if the lit-up images/icons don't change?

When given the option and seeing that the button areas are already there, I would choose capacitive over on-screen but I saw on AC's articles that the Back button is in the right side, just like what (amazingly awkward and unintuitive to UI navigation) Samsung has been doing on their phones for a long time.

The Back button should always be on the left IMHO.

Thanks for the already answered questions!

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
When you get a chance, could you try out USB-OTG please? Does it work as advertised and does it have a file manager to manage the content on an external USB mount?

Posted via Android Central App

HennersL

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
- Can you lock focus in the camera app by any means (like tapping and holding for instance)?
- Does the phone heat up at all under load and/or while charging?

kuri22

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, battery life is definitely one thing I'm interested in. Keep us posted Andrew! :)

Aside from that, how does the feel in hand and ergonomics compare to other phablets like the Note 3 for example? I find the Note 3 a bit too wide to hold one handed. I understand the OPO is a bit narrower, so is it much better in that regard?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
First impressions CM11?
Is it snappy?
Does it feel as fast as Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, and HTC One M8?

Feels snappy. Faster than the GS5, but that's not a great benchmark. It's maybe nearing the speed of the Nexus 5, but still feels maybe a touch slower. I'll see what I notice over time.

- Is the software upgrade restricted like normal Android software upgrade? (I mean the update comes to German (for example) first then 4 or 5 months later it comes to other country)
- How is the screen outdoor performance?
- How high the ringtone? (I got Galaxy S3, if it in pocket, I do not hear it ringing if I am outdoor)
- How the building quality?
- How is battery life?

The software updates come from Cyanogen, so they won't be region-locked.

Just put my SIM in it, so haven't used it outdoors much. It's a high quality LCD and seems to do pretty well so far though, we'll see over time.

Ringer gets loud. I'm usually pretty sensitive though, I keep my ringers turned down low on all my phones.

Read back to previous responses on build quality and battery life.

Faster than the nexus 5? and when i say faster is like switching between pages and opening apps like facebook camera then hangouts...multitasking a and if you feel any difference on using CM on the nexus 5 with the one plus it feels better?
sorry for my bad english lol

I talk about the speed a bit above. It seems quick, and I can tell there will be few slowdowns — it'll be something I'd need more time to notice. Just out of the box and setting it up everything seems fast.

Is there an option to have the capacitive buttons change behavior even if the lit-up images/icons don't change?

When given the option and seeing that the button areas are already there, I would choose capacitive over on-screen but I saw on AC's articles that the Back button is in the right side, just like what (amazingly awkward and unintuitive to UI navigation) Samsung has been doing on their phones for a long time.

The Back button should always be on the left IMHO.

Thanks for the already answered questions!

Right, the capacitive back button is on the right side, and there's a menu button on the left. I've turned on software keys, but if you leave the capacitive ones on you can set what the home and menu buttons do for both short- and long-press actions. for example you could set the menu key to work as a multitasking button.

When you get a chance, could you try out USB-OTG please? Does it work as advertised and does it have a file manager to manage the content on an external USB mount?

Posted via Android Central App

I will absolutely do that.

How is the voice wake recognition feature? Moto X worthy or is it kind of just there?

They have a Qualcomm-made "Hey Snapdragon" voice recognition that you can do. I've set it up but haven't played with it at all yet.

- Can you lock focus in the camera app by any means (like tapping and holding for instance)?
- Does the phone heat up at all under load and/or while charging?

You can lock focus by tapping, and you can set in the settings how long it'll lock for when you tap.

The phone gets hot when charging, but haven't had it heat up under load yet.

Yeah, battery life is definitely one thing I'm interested in. Keep us posted Andrew! :)

Aside from that, how does the feel in hand and ergonomics compare to other phablets like the Note 3 for example? I find the Note 3 a bit too wide to hold one handed. I understand the OPO is a bit narrower, so is it much better in that regard?

Refer to above answers on ergonomics. It's a huge phone, and it's harder to hold onto than the Nexus 5 or even the Galaxy S5. On the level of the Note 3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet