Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By graffixnyc
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  • 1 Post By graffixnyc
  • 1 Post By graffixnyc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    PAC757's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

    Default OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    I don't know if Oppo is just cutting the price on the OnePlus for them ( the company OnePlus) or if there is any real or significant differences in the phones? I know the OnePlus is on 4.4 KK & CM11 and the Find7 is on 4.3 JB & Color OS. I had a chance to play around with a US version Find 7a running on AT&T, that a coworker had and it seems like a really well built phone, and Color OS is pretty cool and has some nice features. The phone ran smooth, didn't have any lag, web pages loaded quick and scrolling was smooth. Picked up AT&T LTE, but he did say it took some doing and had to build a new APN but it does work well on AT&T, same LTE speeds I get on my Nexus 5. I really like the phone but here's the thing: The Find 7a US and international versions are available now, the Find 7 will be available in the near future, (probably about the same time as the OnePlus One). The 7a is comparable on most specs: CPU, GPU, but comes with 16gb on board and 2gb ram. And the cost $499 USD, and when released the 7 will be $599 USD. So here lies my question what is it that makes the Oppo phones made by Oppo, cost do much more than a phone that they make for an offshoot company of theirs, namely OnePlus.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAC757 View Post
    I don't know if Oppo is just cutting the price on the OnePlus for them ( the company OnePlus) or if there is any real or significant differences in the phones? I know the OnePlus is on 4.4 KK & CM11 and the Find7 is on 4.3 JB & Color OS. I had a chance to play around with a US version Find 7a running on AT&T, that a coworker had and it seems like a really well built phone, and Color OS is pretty cool and has some nice features. The phone ran smooth, didn't have any lag, web pages loaded quick and scrolling was smooth. Picked up AT&T LTE, but he did say it took some doing and had to build a new APN but it does work well on AT&T, same LTE speeds I get on my Nexus 5. I really like the phone but here's the thing: The Find 7a US and international versions are available now, the Find 7 will be available in the near future, (probably about the same time as the OnePlus One). The 7a is comparable on most specs: CPU, GPU, but comes with 16gb on board and 2gb ram. And the cost $499 USD, and when released the 7 will be $599 USD. So here lies my question what is it that makes the Oppo phones made by Oppo, cost do much more than a phone that they make for an offshoot company of theirs, namely OnePlus.

    Posted via Android Central App
    As far as I know, Oppo doesn't make the OnePlus, they are different companies. Oppo may own OnePlus, but that doesn't mean they make the phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  3. #3  
    PxuLL's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    OnePlus One. End it here lads. Also the CEO of Oppo moved on created the OnePlus company and created the One. Nothing to do with Oppo have similar designs though comparing to the Find 7.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    PAC757's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by PxuLL View Post
    OnePlus One. End it here lads. Also the CEO of Oppo moved on created the OnePlus company and created the One. Nothing to do with Oppo have similar designs though comparing to the Find 7.
    I didn't know this, so your saying the OnePlus One is a completely new device not built by Oppo? Also why did you seem to infer that this is a taboo subject? "End it here lads"

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAC757 View Post
    I didn't know this, so your saying the OnePlus One is a completely new device not built by Oppo? Also why did you seem to infer that this is a taboo subject? "End it here lads"

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yes, I said this as well. Oppo doesn't make the OnePlus One. He was saying to get the OnePlus One instead of the Oppo.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    PAC757's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Yes, I said this as well. Oppo doesn't make the OnePlus One. He was saying to get the OnePlus One instead of the Oppo.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks, good to know, I never realized that this was a new phone, not a rebranded Oppo, I can't pass up on one of these at this price, now just have to wait till the become available to the general public, time to gather my old phone and hit eBay

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAC757 View Post
    Thanks, good to know, I never realized that this was a new phone, not a rebranded Oppo, I can't pass up on one of these at this price, now just have to wait till the become available to the general public, time to gather my old phone and hit eBay

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yea I would say this or the nexus 5 are the two best deals for flagship phones on the market today.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  8. #8  
    PxuLL's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAC757 View Post
    I didn't know this, so your saying the OnePlus One is a completely new device not built by Oppo? Also why did you seem to infer that this is a taboo subject? "End it here lads"

    Posted via Android Central App
    Just cos its the best phone. Also yes Oppo and OnePlus is TWO DIFFERENT companies.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    I own both the Find 7a and the OnePlus One. Both are excellent phones! I really can't decide which I like better..it's THAT close.. Price wise the Oneplus one wins so if I had to choose on price alone I would get the OnePlus One. Each has things I like over the other. It's a really tough choice..

    And for those saying they are separate companies.. yes, they are separate but they are funded by the same parent company, the phones were designed by the same designer and also made in the same factory.

    I'm friends with someone at OnePlus (and formerly Oppo) I first heard about OnePlus before they even had a name picked At BBQ 13 he told me why OnePlus was going to be formed.. I heard it straight from the horses mouth. Oppo was having a hard time competing in places like china because of so much competition like Xiaomi who were putting out quality devices on the cheap. This made oppo start to rethink things because compared to the competition Oppo devices are expensive (in China) They did not want to come out with a cheaper handset because they are known for quality. They felt if they did, it would dilute the brand.. So they decided to branch off and create what later became OnePlus. Yes, they are two separate companies and operate independently but the money all comes from the same place. I would consider them more like sister companies rather than saying "Oppo owns OnePlus"
    Thanked by 2:
    jdbiirav16 
    jdbii likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    I would get the Opoo Find 7a out of the three for several reasons, although providing you're willing to spend the extra $150 over the OnePlus 64gb version (no reason to buy the 16gb version).

    Why Find 7a over Find 7:
    -The Find 7a have a benefit of having 1080p screen, so it will have likely better performance than the Find 7 with 1440p screen, even if with less ram. This will mean better battery life too (unless the Find 7 will come out with bigger battery).

    Why Find 7a over OnePus:
    -The Find 7a have removable backcover, however, it's battery is removable as well, so you can use one of those qi receiver tag to get wireless charging, and keep it hidden inside the phone. With the OnePlus you would need to use the receiver tag with microSD port, which is not ideal.

    -VOOC charging.

    -MicroSD.

    -The Find 7a is also bootloader unlockable and very easy to install custom rom. You will get CM11S on it easily so it will get all the features that the OnePlus have.

    -Lastly, it's more accessible for purchase (oppostyle.com), no need to wait for invite system and worrying about how much they will manufacture. Also Oppo have good support (as I'm told), you can ship their devices to service locations within US for repair purposes. The OnePlus is online sale only, not sure how their warranty will be handled.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    jdbii likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I would get the Opoo Find 7a out of the three for several reasons, although providing you're willing to spend the extra $150 over the OnePlus 64gb version (no reason to buy the 16gb version).

    Why Find 7a over Find 7:
    -The Find 7a have a benefit of having 1080p screen, so it will have likely better performance than the Find 7 with 1440p screen, even if with less ram. This will mean better battery life too (unless the Find 7 will come out with bigger battery).

    Why Find 7a over OnePus:
    -The Find 7a have removable backcover, however, it's battery is removable as well, so you can use one of those qi receiver tag to get wireless charging, and keep it hidden inside the phone. With the OnePlus you would need to use the receiver tag with microSD port, which is not ideal.

    -VOOC charging.

    -MicroSD.

    -The Find 7a is also bootloader unlockable and very easy to install custom rom. You will get CM11S on it easily so it will get all the features that the OnePlus have.

    -Lastly, it's more accessible for purchase (oppostyle.com), no need to wait for invite system and worrying about how much they will manufacture. Also Oppo have good support (as I'm told), you can ship their devices to service locations within US for repair purposes. The OnePlus is online sale only, not sure how their warranty will be handled.
    Again, same as I said in the other post.. There is no need to unlock the Find 7a's bootloaer.. It's also unocked out of the box. Just boot into fastboot and flash away. And yes, while CM 11S runs pretty well without modifications (the rom came from my OnePlus One system dump and worked without changing anything except the device asserts in the updater-script) There are a few issues with it unmodified. The back camera is upside down, nfc doesn't work and the system also reports 3GB (but this was fixed by someone).

    As someone who owns both the Find 7a and the OnePlus one.. It's very close! I have the 16gb OnePlus one but in a few weeks they are swapping it for a 64gb and I only paid $1
    jdbii likes this.
  12. #12  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by graffixnyc View Post
    Again, same as I said in the other post.. There is no need to unlock the Find 7a's bootloaer.. It's also unocked out of the box. Just boot into fastboot and flash away. And yes, while CM 11S runs pretty well without modifications (the rom came from my OnePlus One system dump and worked without changing anything except the device asserts in the updater-script) There are a few issues with it unmodified. The back camera is upside down, nfc doesn't work and the system also reports 3GB (but this was fixed by someone).

    As someone who owns both the Find 7a and the OnePlus one.. It's very close! I have the 16gb OnePlus one but in a few weeks they are swapping it for a 64gb and I only paid $1
    Does the Find 7a feel anymore "premium" then then OnePlus One? If you knew nothing about Oppo or OnePlus, would you be able to differentiate between the two and say one is likely less expensive then the other?

    How did you get yours for a buck. Were you are smasher winner?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Does the Find 7a feel anymore "premium" then then OnePlus One? If you knew nothing about Oppo or OnePlus, would you be able to differentiate between the two and say one is likely less expensive then the other?

    How did you get yours for a buck. Were you are smasher winner?
    If I knew nothing of either I would say they look almost identical (especially if you have the white 7a like I do) I have had them laying side by side and meant to pick one up but picked up the other by mistake (granted I wasn't paying full attention when I grabbed one) I wouldn't say the 7a feels any more premium than the OPO. I actually prefer the feeling of the OPO in the hand. It actually feels more solid than the 7a. The texture on the back covers is different too. The silk white OPO feels really really nice on your skin. It feels like a baby's bottom to me. I hear the black feels more like a stone. The differences between the two are very subtle. There are some things I like on the 7a : notification light is awesome, sd card slot and I love the two silver trim bands in the middle section. The things I like about the OPO, That you get a stock android experience, feels better in the hand, will probably get updates faster etc.. at first I didn't know how I would feel about the screen being recessed but I really like it. the silver band around the screen makes it look really nice. Everyone who touches my OPO and finds out the price of it they immediately want one and that came from a couple iphone users too!!

    I was one of the 100 picked for the smash the past but I'm also close with some of the people at OnePlus as well as Oppo. I actually got an insane deal on my Find 7a because my relationship with them(I had helped them sell over 12 Find 5's at XDA Devcon)

    I had met a bunch of them at XDA Dev con last aug and again at the Big Android BBQ and became good friends with the whole Oppo crew (Carl, Ivy, Levi, Adam) And then Carl left for OnePlus. I actually have pics on my G+ page of a bunch of us at the Gun Range the last day of the Big Android BBQ.. it was me, chainfire, xplodwild, Jordan Keyes (xda tv) and Carl from OnePlus (at that time he was still with oppo)
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    jdbii likes this.
  14. #14  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by graffixnyc View Post
    If I knew nothing of either I would say they look almost identical (especially if you have the white 7a like I do) I have had them laying side by side and meant to pick one up but picked up the other by mistake (granted I wasn't paying full attention when I grabbed one) I wouldn't say the 7a feels any more premium than the OPO. I actually prefer the feeling of the OPO in the hand. It actually feels more solid than the 7a. The texture on the back covers is different too. The silk white OPO feels really really nice on your skin. It feels like a baby's bottom to me. I hear the black feels more like a stone. The differences between the two are very subtle. There are some things I like on the 7a : notification light is awesome, sd card slot and I love the two silver trim bands in the middle section. The things I like about the OPO, That you get a stock android experience, feels better in the hand, will probably get updates faster etc.. at first I didn't know how I would feel about the screen being recessed but I really like it. the silver band around the screen makes it look really nice. Everyone who touches my OPO and finds out the price of it they immediately want one and that came from a couple iphone users too!!

    I was one of the 100 picked for the smash the past but I'm also close with some of the people at OnePlus as well as Oppo. I actually got an insane deal on my Find 7a because my relationship with them(I had helped them sell over 12 Find 5's at XDA Devcon)

    I had met a bunch of them at XDA Dev con last aug and again at the Big Android BBQ and became good friends with the whole Oppo crew (Carl, Ivy, Levi, Adam) And then Carl left for OnePlus. I actually have pics on my G+ page of a bunch of us at the Gun Range the last day of the Big Android BBQ.. it was me, chainfire, xplodwild, Jordan Keyes (xda tv) and Carl from OnePlus (at that time he was still with oppo)
    Well it is really quite awesome to have an insider, or someone close to insiders, share so much first hand information.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Well it is really quite awesome to have an insider, or someone close to insiders, share so much first hand information.
    yes, it is. Sometimes I have to keep my mouth shut until after the fact I first learned about OnePlus at BBQ at the gun range actually. Carl told me and another friend about it. I kept that hush hush for a while until they announced OnePlus
  16. #16  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

    Default Re: OnePlus One or Oppo Find 7a or 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by graffixnyc View Post
    yes, it is. Sometimes I have to keep my mouth shut until after the fact I first learned about OnePlus at BBQ at the gun range actually. Carl told me and another friend about it. I kept that hush hush for a while until they announced OnePlus
    I imagine gun ranges are just one of those places that can bestow camaraderie and trust. Pretty cool that you knew so early. Even more cool to be one of the first 100. Are any of your OPO friends/acquaintances based in Shenzhen? Isn't that where OPO is based? I used to know the area quite well. I lived and worked in Shekou Shenzhen in the early 2000's. My old contacts tell me I wouldn't recognize the city if I visited today since so much has changed..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 06:07 AM
  2. Anyone went from the Galaxy S4 to the HTC One m8?
    By badelhas in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 03:32 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
  4. USB malfunction problem HTC one S
    By Wrymn in forum HTC One S
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions