Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,175 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Does anyone else feel like One Plus has missed their window? I was once interested in this phone, but it has been awhile since I have heard anything about it and I have lost interest. With Google I/O coming with Android TV and Android Wear I am happy to have held on to my $$$.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Agree. They've been slow with the invites, had that ill-advised "smash your phone" campaign, and continue to hit speedbumps. I don't think they'll be the game changer they hoped to be.
    ChuckG73 likes this.
  3. #3  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,103 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    I am also inclined to agree. At the rate they are going, they are going to have to compete against the G3 and the Note 4. The longer they delay the more people will just get frustrated (especially if they need to upgrade from a damaged or aging device) and get something else.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    ChuckG73 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    At the rate they are going, they are going to have to compete against the G3 and the Note 4.
    Do you think LG and Samsung will release the G3 and the Note 4 (respectively) at price points that will be competitive with the OnePlus One?
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,103 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Do you think LG and Samsung will release the G3 and the Note 4 (respectively) at price points that will be competitive with the OnePlus One?
    No. But at the same time either between a subsidized price or payment options through carriers I think the price argument is almost negated.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. #6  
    Sophos's Avatar

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Do you think LG and Samsung will release the G3 and the Note 4 (respectively) at price points that will be competitive with the OnePlus One?
    Probably not. But I'll bet most of their potential customers (myself included) are at a point where they might just wait and see what Google I/O has to offer and what is to become of the Nexus program.

    I play with my food
    ChuckG73 and Golfdriver97 like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    With Google I/O coming with Android TV and Android Wear I am happy to have held on to my $$$.
    Let's say OnePlus had plenty of phones for sale on day one. Would you have bought one, even though it would mean you would have less money to spend on an Android TV or Android Wear?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    No. But at the same time either between a subsidized price or payment options through carriers I think the price argument is almost negated.
    I think a major selling point of the OnePlus One is the off-contract price. I would guess most people who would buy the OnePlus One are not interested in financing a phone through a carrier.
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,103 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    I think a major selling point of the OnePlus One is the off-contract price. I would guess most people who would buy the OnePlus One are not interested in financing a phone through a carrier.
    Which becomes irrelevant when more and more people say 'I give up waiting; I am getting something else.'

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    Probably not. But I'll bet most of their potential customers (myself included) are at a point where they might just wait and see what Google I/O has to offer and what is to become of the Nexus program.
    Perhaps the delay from OnePlus is a blessing in disguise. You might find something that interests you more at Google I/O. In that case, OnePlus did you a favor.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Which becomes irrelevant when more and more people say 'I give up waiting; I am getting something else.'
    If people want to spend more money or lock themselves into a contract, they are free to do so.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    If people want to spend more money or lock themselves into a contract, they are free to do so.
    Yep and most will... Or they'll wait for another Nexus. You lose customers when you hype them up and say oh wait.. Wait.. It's coming. Just look at Sprint ha .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Robbie317 and bobsacomano like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Yep and most will... Or they'll wait for another Nexus. You lose customers when you hype them up and say oh wait.. Wait.. It's coming. Just look at Sprint ha .
    The fact is, if you need a phone now, just go buy one now. There are a lot of good phones on the market already. If you change your mind, you can always sell your current phone and buy the OnePlus One when it's available.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    The fact is, if you need a phone now, just go buy one now. There are a lot of good phones on the market already. If you change your mind, you can always sell your current phone and buy the OnePlus One when it's available.
    Well yeah that's the case for anyone.. With any cell phone. The topic is about people moving on due to delay..

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  15. #15  
    Sophos's Avatar

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Perhaps the delay from OnePlus is a blessing in disguise. You might find something that interests you more at Google I/O. In that case, OnePlus did you a favor.
    Sure, and I'm not even bitter about it. In fact, I'm quite happy with my current phone. But that doesn't change the fact that had the One been available One+ would have my money.

    I play with my food
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Well yeah that's the case for anyone.. With any cell phone.
    Well, the OnePlus One is definitely a cell phone, so the solution I discussed is certainly applicable.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    In fact, I'm quite happy with my current phone. But that doesn't change the fact that had the One been available One+ would have my money.
    If you are happy with your current phone, then why are you concerned with OnePlus having your money?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Well, the OnePlus One is definitely a cell phone, so the solution I discussed is certainly applicable.
    Of course it is... But sticking to the topic about did they miss their mark for most consumers? Yeah they did... The thread isn't about can they sell an old phone and get this one..

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  19. #19  
    Sophos's Avatar

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    If you are happy with your current phone, then why are you concerned with OnePlus having your money?
    It isn't relevant to the topic of this thread. One+ missed their mark with me (and many others) by failing to deliver their product in a timely manner. My $350+ is just a fraction of the cash they are not because of that.

    I play with my food
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Of course it is... But sticking to the topic about did they miss their mark for most consumers? Yeah they did... The thread isn't about can they sell an old phone and get this one..
    So, what should consumers do if they cannot get a OnePlus One right now?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    One+ missed their mark with me (and many others) by failing to deliver their product in a timely manner. My $350+ is just a fraction of the cash they are not because of that.
    It is not unusual for manufacturers to run into product delays. Cell phones are sophisticated devices that are difficult to make. There's always a chance for any company to have problems during production.
  22. #22  
    DirkBelig's Avatar

    Posts
    1,285 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    There is a post on their Announcements forum - A Few Words on Production Capacity - OnePlus Forums - where they basically say, "We had no idea a 64GB monster-spec'ed phone for only $350 would be so popular and we're scrambling to get parts to make more, but it takes time to get sufficient quantities in the quality we need."

    This is the same mistake Google made with the Nexus 4 as they got DDoSed by all the people wishing to throw money at them. OnePlus not knowing that a phone with double the memory of a Nexus 5 at 12.5% lower cost may be popular would be like a bar in Ft. Lauderdale looking at Spring Break coming up and only ordering the usual amount of beer because you don't want to have it sitting around not selling. I can understand not wanting to bankrupt yourself on your first product, but barring it being the Yugo of smartphones, it's as no-brainer a sure-fire thing as offering free lap dances and having every frat boy within 100 miles showing up.

    I somehow lucked out and was notified that today that I scored an invite from their Storm of Invites contest, so I should be able to order one tomorrow. (I've already got a Nexus 5 so it's not as if I'm hurting for a phone, I'm interested in seeing what the OPO is like and whether it's going to be too large to handle.) I think part of 1+'s problems is that so many spoiled entitled people are too impatient to wait for anything; instant gratification takes too darn long for them. They're like the people in Louis C.K.'s "Everything's Amazing and No One's Happy" bit. Chill. Or buy something else. Just quit crying.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    It is not unusual for manufacturers to run into product delays. Cell phones are sophisticated devices that are difficult to make. There's always a chance for any company to have problems during production.
    Very true but for a new phone that isn't as well known? Makes some not want to try it. If Apple or Samsung have a delay most will still wait since they know their phones are good. Same with a Nexus...

    This is their first phone.. And it has issues.. Makes people sketchy. You're taking it as we say they won't sell one phone.. We aren't... But you can't deny an unknown phone being delayed won't hurt it..

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    You know what this reminds me of? That whole Grid 10 debacle from a few years ago: Where Did Fusion Garage, its Lawyers, and the Grid 10 Tablet Go? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Their 15 minutes.....did One Plus Marketing campaign backfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    But you can't deny an unknown phone being delayed won't hurt it..
    That's why I recommend just buying a different phone. If you have an alternative suggestion, I'd like to hear it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint GT3 7". Did you get KitKat already and how you like it?
    By STARGATE in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 09:46 PM
  2. Where did all my camera options go?
    By NickPorter in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 11:38 PM
  3. HTC One Mini headset jack not working
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 10:04 PM
  4. HTC One Mini headset jack not working
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 10:04 PM
  5. Top Vines~¦♦¦~ Millions of video gags in one app
    By cesear5 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions