Phone Not Recognizing "OK Google"

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue? I was training the phone on the Google Now screen and I had to slowly and loudly say OK Google with the phone right in front of my mouth.
When holding the phone at a normal distance it would not even respond.

sent from my OnePlus

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue? I was training the phone on the Google Now screen and I had to slowly and loudly say OK Google with the phone right in front of my mouth.

sent from my OnePlus

This is one thing that, for me, may qualify as a real gripe. I've become very used to ok Google on my N5. If it's ultimately trainable but just a slow learner then I wouldn't sweat it too much. If it can't seem to learn at all, well, that's a different story. The whole "okay snapdragon" bit with MKBHD was funny to watch.

Nexus 5

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This is one thing that, for me, may qualify as a real gripe. I've become very used to ok Google on my N5. If it's ultimately trainable but just a slow learner then I wouldn't sweat it too much. If it can't seem to learn at all, well, that's a different story. The whole "okay snapdragon" bit with MKBHD was funny to watch.

Nexus 5
Yeah will try again later but it couldn't even be trained, like I wasn't even talking. Calls worked so I know the mics are good. Just wondering if anyone can reproduce so I know if it is a simple software glitch.

sent from my OnePlus

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's not just the Ok Google, but your voice can be a bit quiet in calls as well. Couple things you can do, either root the phone and fix the values in the XML file that control the analog mic gain. Or root the phone and install the latest version of regular CM11, which also fix a few other issues. To root the phone you'll be unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the entire device, but the instruction is here. Or you could just wait until the next official update.

The XML file in questions is: /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, and you'll need to edit it with a root-permission text editor like the one built into ES File Explorer.

Search for "Analog input devices" in the XML file, you will see this section:
Code:
    <!-- Analog input devices -->
<path name="hph-mic">
        <ctl name="DEC5 MUX" value="ADC2" />
        <ctl name="IIR1 INP1 MUX" value="DEC5" />
        <ctl name="DEC5 Volume" value="84" />
    </path>

<path name="main-mic">
        <ctl name="AIF1_CAP Mixer SLIM TX7" value="1"/>
        <ctl name="SLIM TX7 MUX" value="DEC4" />
        <ctl name="DEC4 MUX" value="ADC3" />
        <ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="84" />
    </path>

<path name="anc-mic">
        <ctl name="DEC2 MUX" value="ADC5" />
        <ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="84" />
    </path>

Simply change the: value="84" for each of mic to a higher value, such as: value="99". This will make the mic more sensitive. You might have to test voice call to see how the change in value effect the volume of your voice.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not just the Ok Google, but your voice can be a bit quiet in calls as well. Couple things you can do, either root the phone and fix the values in the XML file that control the analog mic gain. Or root the phone and install the latest version of regular CM11, which also fix a few other issues. To root the phone you'll be unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the entire device, but the instruction is here. Or you could just wait until the next official update.

The XML file in questions is: /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, and you'll need to edit it with a root-permission text editor like the one built into ES File Explorer.

Search for "Analog input devices" in the XML file, you will see this section:
Code:
    <!-- Analog input devices -->
<path name="hph-mic">
        <ctl name="DEC5 MUX" value="ADC2" />
        <ctl name="IIR1 INP1 MUX" value="DEC5" />
        <ctl name="DEC5 Volume" value="84" />
    </path>

<path name="main-mic">
        <ctl name="AIF1_CAP Mixer SLIM TX7" value="1"/>
        <ctl name="SLIM TX7 MUX" value="DEC4" />
        <ctl name="DEC4 MUX" value="ADC3" />
        <ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="84" />
    </path>

<path name="anc-mic">
        <ctl name="DEC2 MUX" value="ADC5" />
        <ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="84" />
    </path>

Simply change the: value="84" for each of mic to a higher value, such as: value="99". This will make the mic more sensitive. You might have to test voice call to see how the change in value effect the volume of your voice.
Thanks I will check that out. Must not have looked hard enough earlier.

sent from my OnePlus

reynolpe

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

sent from my OnePlus

Just got my phone today and have the same issue. I don't think you should have to root to get this fixed. The mic works fine in phone calls, not having the issue where calls were real quite.

odoliam

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I went to settings, language &input, voice search and found an option to turn it on for all screens....but its disabled for english-UK. So I switched to US and its now working

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use it just fine on my OPO and it is the same as with my nexus 5. I got my OPO on 8/20/14.

Posted via Nexus 5

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Has this issue been taken care of? I recently got my OPO and had no problems here but I upgraded it to the latest OTA out of the box
It works well for me also, not quite as robust as the voice control/detection is on my Moto X but that was expected. Once I "knock on" it's almost the same as on my Moto.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Has this issue been taken care of? I recently got my OPO and had no problems here but I upgraded it to the latest OTA out of the box

In my opinion it has, yes. Prior to the last update it was almost unusable. I had to literally shout into the Phone mic to have ok google work--and even then it wouldn't always function. Yesterday while driving I said "ok google, launch pandora" in a normal speaking voice, and it worked swimmingly. Very pleased with the fix. And now I'm pretty darn close to 100% pleased with the phone....which is rare for me, lol.

1+1/N5

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't working for me, but just turned it on in Language & Input, Voice Search. You can set it to turn on from the lock screen and any screen. I kind of miss the GNL though. The app is a little disorienting. But I love the OPO. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2