Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone Not Recognizing "OK Google"

Anyone else having this issue? I was training the phone on the Google Now screen and I had to slowly and loudly say OK Google with the phone right in front of my mouth.
    When holding the phone at a normal distance it would not even respond.

sent from my OnePlus

Default Re: Phone Not Recognizing "OK Google"

Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    Anyone else having this issue? I was training the phone on the Google Now screen and I had to slowly and loudly say OK Google with the phone right in front of my mouth.
    When holding the phone at a normal distance it would not even respond.

sent from my OnePlus
    This is one thing that, for me, may qualify as a real gripe. I've become very used to ok Google on my N5. If it's ultimately trainable but just a slow learner then I wouldn't sweat it too much. If it can't seem to learn at all, well, that's a different story. The whole "okay snapdragon" bit with MKBHD was funny to watch.

Nexus 5
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post
    This is one thing that, for me, may qualify as a real gripe. I've become very used to ok Google on my N5. If it's ultimately trainable but just a slow learner then I wouldn't sweat it too much. If it can't seem to learn at all, well, that's a different story. The whole "okay snapdragon" bit with MKBHD was funny to watch.

Nexus 5
    Yeah will try again later but it couldn't even be trained, like I wasn't even talking. Calls worked so I know the mics are good. Just wondering if anyone can reproduce so I know if it is a simple software glitch.

sent from my OnePlus

It's not just the Ok Google, but your voice can be a bit quiet in calls as well. Couple things you can do, either root the phone and fix the values in the XML file that control the analog mic gain. Or root the phone and install the latest version of regular CM11, which also fix a few other issues. To root the phone you'll be unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the entire device, but the instruction is here. Or you could just wait until the next official update.

The XML file in questions is: /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, and you'll need to edit it with a root-permission text editor like the one built into ES File Explorer.

Search for "Analog input devices" in the XML file, you will see this section:
    Code:
        <!-- Analog input devices -->
    <path name="hph-mic">
            <ctl name="DEC5 MUX" value="ADC2" />
            <ctl name="IIR1 INP1 MUX" value="DEC5" />
            <ctl name="DEC5 Volume" value="84" />
        </path>

<path name="main-mic">
            <ctl name="AIF1_CAP Mixer SLIM TX7" value="1"/>
            <ctl name="SLIM TX7 MUX" value="DEC4" />
            <ctl name="DEC4 MUX" value="ADC3" />
            <ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="84" />
        </path>

<path name="anc-mic">
            <ctl name="DEC2 MUX" value="ADC5" />
            <ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="84" />
        </path>
    Simply change the: value="84" for each of mic to a higher value, such as: value="99". This will make the mic more sensitive. You might have to test voice call to see how the change in value effect the volume of your voice.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    It's not just the Ok Google, but your voice can be a bit quiet in calls as well. Couple things you can do, either root the phone and fix the values in the XML file that control the analog mic gain. Or root the phone and install the latest version of regular CM11, which also fix a few other issues. To root the phone you'll be unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the entire device, but the instruction is here. Or you could just wait until the next official update.

The XML file in questions is: /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, and you'll need to edit it with a root-permission text editor like the one built into ES File Explorer.

Search for "Analog input devices" in the XML file, you will see this section:
    Code:
        <!-- Analog input devices -->
    <path name="hph-mic">
            <ctl name="DEC5 MUX" value="ADC2" />
            <ctl name="IIR1 INP1 MUX" value="DEC5" />
            <ctl name="DEC5 Volume" value="84" />
        </path>

<path name="main-mic">
            <ctl name="AIF1_CAP Mixer SLIM TX7" value="1"/>
            <ctl name="SLIM TX7 MUX" value="DEC4" />
            <ctl name="DEC4 MUX" value="ADC3" />
            <ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="84" />
        </path>

<path name="anc-mic">
            <ctl name="DEC2 MUX" value="ADC5" />
            <ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="84" />
        </path>
    Simply change the: value="84" for each of mic to a higher value, such as: value="99". This will make the mic more sensitive. You might have to test voice call to see how the change in value effect the volume of your voice.
    Thanks I will check that out. Must not have looked hard enough earlier.

sent from my OnePlus