Upgrade tips (Moto X -> OnePlus One) - I need some help

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to be getting my OPO soon, I'll be upgrading from a Moto X on AT&T here in the USA. Is there a recommended guide to facilitate my transition? I've heard that there is a trick to keeping LTE coverage on the OPO as it's not officially supported by AT&T so it will possibly be relegated to HSDPA speed if I screw up.

I guess what I'm most confused about is how I activate the phone in the first place. I can't just transfer the sim cards as the Moto X uses a nanosim and the OPO uses a microsim card. If I go get a new microsim card from AT&T, what do I need to do/not do so I can keep my LTE? Or should I get an adapter tray for the sim card? I've read horror stories about those also... I'd rather use the correct sim card, so if it's possible I'd like to get a new microsim.

TIA

*disclaimer* - I'm a n00b to all this stuff, I had an iPhone until January of this year.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
"Tell them that you need a micro SIM card activated, but you don't have the device you'll be using with you present. Say that it's a Galaxy S5. The guys at the AT&T store will (probably) proceed to activate the SIM with a GS5, tricking AT&T into thinking that you're using that phone."

Does this look likely?

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a Moto X, my tip is to get some bigger hands.

That Sim card suggestion sounds reasonable and should work. If the rep you get doesn't go for it, just move on to another store.

Posted via Android Central App

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can always use a Nano to Micro adapter. Amazon has several available however I recommend spending the extra money and buy one where the Sim sits secure in the tray and not one held together by adhesive or tape. Your Lte should transfer over just fine.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
You can always use a Nano to Micro adapter. Amazon has several available however I recommend spending the extra money and buy one where the Sim sits secure in the tray and not one held together by adhesive or tape. Your Lte should transfer over just fine.

I'm looking at one called MediaDevil, seen here. Amazon.com: MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM card adapter kit (Nano / Micro / Standard): Cell Phones & Accessories

A guy at Anandtech is recommending this one. Thoughts?

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The brands I recommend are Sadapter, or Noosy. I've had good luck with both brands.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at one called MediaDevil, seen here. Amazon.com: MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM card adapter kit (Nano / Micro / Standard): Cell Phones & Accessories

A guy at Anandtech is recommending this one. Thoughts?

Just be cautious with these adapters. It's possible that they can get stuck in the device and if you try to force it out you can damage the SIM connections and cause real problems...like having to RMA your New device to China or wherever. Full disclosure: I was using a SIM adapter in my N5 (a carryover from the Moto x I used briefly), but I didn't want to risk getting it jammed in the oneplus. So I just picked up a new micro SIM from my local cricket store for $15. If you don't really need the adapter to hotswap between phones, I'd consider just picking up a micro SIM so you can use the tray the phone came with. Just My 0.02.

1+1/N5

bjbolduc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be getting my OPO soon, I'll be upgrading from a Moto X on AT&T here in the USA. Is there a recommended guide to facilitate my transition? I've heard that there is a trick to keeping LTE coverage on the OPO as it's not officially supported by AT&T so it will possibly be relegated to HSDPA speed if I screw up.

I guess what I'm most confused about is how I activate the phone in the first place. I can't just transfer the sim cards as the Moto X uses a nanosim and the OPO uses a microsim card. If I go get a new microsim card from AT&T, what do I need to do/not do so I can keep my LTE? Or should I get an adapter tray for the sim card? I've read horror stories about those also... I'd rather use the correct sim card, so if it's possible I'd like to get a new microsim.

TIA

*disclaimer* - I'm a n00b to all this stuff, I had an iPhone until January of this year.

I did the same upgrade and like both . The opo is indeed a big phone.
One neat thing is the one plus one has an adapter for both sized sim cards.
Also the sim replacement isnt straightforward and can be put in backwards

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are getting a new OPO, it will come with both a micro and nano SIM card tray. Just pop your SIM card in the OPO and you should be good to go. LTE will work just fine.

My OPO did not come with a nano tray but I used the sadapter from Amazon and it works great. I bought the OEM nano Sim tray for the OPO off of eBay for $10 and it works great. Now all three of my phones use a nano Sim card and I do not have to use an adapter.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I wound up buying a kit called SimDevil, came with 3 different sim adapters and works perfectly.

In the months since I got my OPO I've found that I like it a lot, with one exception: the radios (WIFI and LTE) are not as powerful as those in my OG Moto X. And I also like the Moto software features, hopefully the Lollipop update will bridge the gap between the OPO and the Moto X a bit.

marvin

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I use the SimDevil adapters and find them to work well.

Never put an empty adapter into your phone! It will hang up on the pins.

Always take your time inserting and removing your sim. Never force it in or out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo