Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By STARGATE
  • 1 Post By Kianski
  • 1 Post By jdk2
  • 1 Post By soma4society
  • 3 Post By thejesse
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Default Is the OnePlus One worth paying $500+ for?

I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while now and the OnePlus One would be my favorite device to get. However, just like everyone else, I can't seem to get an invite to get one. I have seen ones online at various retailers but they're all very expensive (as you can see from the title, a 64 GB model would cost $500+ including shipping). Is it still worth getting at this price or should I wait for/get another device (other devices I'm considering besides the OnePlus One are the Nexus 5, Oppo Find 7a, Nokia Lumia 1520, and the Moto X+1, if the leaks are accurate)? $500 is really the most I'm willing to pay for a phone.

Global Posts
    7,972 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Is the OnePlus One worth paying $500+ for?

Sounds like a good deal if that's the phone you want/need.

You need to be sure what phone you really need so you won't feel buyer's remorse afterwards.

Sent From Another Galaxy
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    andr0idralphie likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Matei View Post
    I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while now and the OnePlus One would be my favorite device to get. However, just like everyone else, I can't seem to get an invite to get one.
    Well, that solves that problem then, doesn't it?

I have seen ones online at various retailers but they're all very expensive (as you can see from the title, a 64 GB model would cost $500+ including shipping). Is it still worth getting at this price
    That's $200 up from the recommended retail price! That is an obscene rip-off. And obviously not worth it.
    At $300 it was/would have been a good deal. At $500 it's obviously not.

or should I wait for/get another device (other devices I'm considering besides the OnePlus One are the Nexus 5, Oppo Find 7a, Nokia Lumia 1520, and the Moto X+1, if the leaks are accurate)? $500 is really the most I'm willing to pay for a phone.
    Yes, I suggest you wait for or get another device with better value for the money.

Global Posts
    10,003 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 5.0.1

I wouldn't pay $200 more than the original price. The Nexus 5 is still a great choice

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8,573 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

moto x+1 doesn't exist yet so the only choice that makes sense IMO is nexus 5.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

¯\_()_/¯ Community Rules & Guidelines

Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Pro, Attentive & Helpful

Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings (including screen brightness), and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

Global Posts
    7,972 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I definitely agree with Indoler if money is an issue, especially if you can't get an invite.

Sent From Another Galaxy
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

The nexus 5 is an ace phone.
    andr0idralphie likes this.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

Check swappa.com. They have some at $425 and up for sealed, new in box devices.
    Thanked by 2:
    mhettrich likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kianski View Post
    The nexus 5 is an ace phone.
    I still love mine. But I have to confess I am really enjoying having a true full day battery again thanks to the 1+.

1+1/N5
    1+1/Nexus 5
    mhettrich likes this.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

If one+ launched this as a 500 buck phone I would say it's worth it. But I wouldn't pay 150-200 over retail price for it. I would wait or buy an n5 plus accessories. But that's just my opinion.
    Loving this Oneplus one!!

My first thought after reading this is its a clever way to ask for an invite.

My second thought was, no. 500+ is not worth it to buy this phone. It's a stellar phone but not worth paying more than it retails for.

Sent from my OnePlus One

This is really two questions. Is the OPO worth $500+? In my opinion, yes, it is every bit as good as phones selling for $600-$700.

Is it worth $150+ premium over retail to buy it without waiting for an invite? That, regardless of the opinions expressed in this forum, is a question that can only be answered by the buyer.

Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guinnkevinr View Post
    My first thought after reading this is its a clever way to ask for an invite.

My second thought was, no. 500+ is not worth it to buy this phone. It's a stellar phone but not worth paying more than it retails for.

Sent from my OnePlus One
    I wish I had an invite, but that's probably not going to happen.
    If I can find a 64 GB one for less than $400, that would be great, but if not, what's the second best option? I'm seeing a lot of Nexus 5s here, but while shopping around for OnePlus Ones, I saw that the HTC One M7 and Moto X can be had for under $400 too. Are those worth considering or should I just go for the Nexus 5/OnePlus One if I can find one?

Somebody already answered your question on where to get one. Swappa has them for around 400. You could also buy an invite off eBay for 25 if you want to buy one straight from Oneplus. There is one for sale on here in the marketplace also.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dRunzC0ld View Post
    Somebody already answered your question on where to get one. Swappa has them for around 400. You could also buy an invite off eBay for 25 if you want to buy one straight from Oneplus. There is one for sale on here in the marketplace also.

Yeah, I read it and have checked out Swappa. Thank you to the guy who suggested it.

I agree with the swappa route or buy invite. Would be the cheaper of the options. Other than that, the nexus 5 and moto x are great options.

Sent from my OnePlus One

Yup, swappa. I've used it to buy and sell phones for the past year or so. Very reliable, and the devices are usually in good condition as well.
    Current Devices: Note 5, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: Nexus 6, Moto X 2014, Note 4, Nexus 5, OnePlus One, HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

I'd recommend not buying one from a retailer other than OnePlus if you live in the US. They sell the Chinese variant not the international variant and the LTE won't work in the US. Buying from oneplus you get the international version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Matei View Post
    I have seen ones online at various retailers but they're all very expensive (as you can see from the title, a 64 GB model would cost $500+ including shipping). Is it still worth getting at this price or should I wait for/get another device ...?
    As much as I love my OPO, I would in no way pay more for it than retail. I'd go to swappa and buy a used but mint M8 instead with my $500.
    Moto X 2013 (AT&T) / Nexus 7 2013 WiFi / Moto 360
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

OK thanks everyone! I'll let you guys know what I end up doing.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7/scott Pilgr

If you didn't know the sticker price I say it would be worth it. It's worth $400-$450 IMO so why not 5. Now $500 compared to the actual price, no.

Posted via the Android Central App

For the MSRP the One is the better deal, for $500 I'd wait or get a Nexus 5 but I wouldn't pay $500 for a One over a Nexus 5 now. The Nexus 5 is a little smaller but it's a wonderful and extremely capable phone! I wouldn't be surprised if I sell my One when the rumored Nexus 6 is released.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~