A Better Camera App?

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
In HDR mode, Google's Camera app captured beautiful pictures on my Nexus 5 but I'm finding it doesn't produce the same quality on the OPO. I tried reinstalling it a couple of times because I was amazed that the images it captured, whether Auto or HDR, weren't as good as the CM 11S Camera app that is pre-installed on the OPO. The biggest flaw was the focus. In Auto, Clear Image and HDR mode, the CM 11S consistently captured better quality images than Google's Camera app, Camera FV-5 and ProCapture 2.

I'm finding that the Auto setting is great for quick shots and for more stationary subject matter Clear Image can produce some stupendous shots with smaller file sizes [than Auto].

Any feedback on better third-party camera apps?

Here's an image comparison chart from GSMArena as a side note.

Secondary question; there seems to be no setting to silence the Camera app, either...? Thanks.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, that was my number one 3rd party camera app. If it wasn't for the HDR+ setting on Google's Camera I'd have kept it on my Nexus 5.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
just installed procapture (it is on -75% sale). it takes decent panorama pics - better than stock cam app. doesnt have a vid feature though...

Sent from OPO.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the G3 it is a bit of a step down. Will give Pro Capture a go. Google camera is a wash with stock in my onion

Posted via the Android Central App

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the G3 it is a bit of a step down. Will give Pro Capture a go. Google camera is a wash with stock in my onion

Posted via the Android Central App

I also came from the g3, but im happy i do not need an 'perfect' camera. I just take these simple picctures...

Posted by my G3 or my 1+

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
2014-09-08 01.59.21.pngYes it does. Press the camera icon in the lower left. The next icon up is the video camera.

just installed procapture (it is on -75% sale). it takes decent panorama pics - better than stock cam app. doesnt have a vid feature though...

Sent from OPO.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
IMG_20141106_220949-2.jpg
Potato, as caught pointing OnePlus to the night, moonlit sky with nearby street lamps and just capturing the image. Update; So as not to mislead, this is how the DNG looked when imported into Lightroom and exported as-is, this isn't the Camera app's post-processed JPG, which actually does look better than this but could not be improved from JPG form to what I was able to obtain below. Thank you for understanding.

IMG_20141106_220949.jpg
A few edits of the DNG/RAW data in Lightroom and exported. What I've done with other photos under better lighting conditions is amazing. The Camera app update with RAW support... not too dang shabby.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Google Camera with HDR produces sub par images with your OPO because the HDR in the Google Camera is different from the HDR+ on the Nexus 5, a detailed explanation can be found here:

http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2014/10/hdr-low-light-and-high-dynamic-range.html?m=1

I personally try to stick to using the stock camera app on any phone because it is usually the most optimised and results in the best images and fastest processing.