Which one is better the Sony Xperia Z3 or Oneplus One?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sony Xperia Z3 or Oneplus One

The one that will not have a replacement in February or every 6 months depending on when you get it

Posted via my OnePlus One!

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I actually bought both of these phones because they were the 2 I was most interested in upgrading to from my Nexus 5. I can give you my opinions of the two.

The OPO is a great value. 350 bucks for a 64gb phone off contract is awesome. The phone feels really well built and the size is fine for me. I think the "grippiness" of the back makes dealing with a larger phone much better. The battery life on this phone compared to my Nexus has been great. I don't see a time when I wouldn't easily be able to get through an entire day (from waking up until going to bed) with this phone. The software is fast and insanely customizable. One thing that i noticed out of the box was that Cyanogen puts a number on the notification tray icons to indicate how many notifications you have from an app. This really annoyed me because it made it hard to see the app icon so I went searching through the settings and sure enough, I could just disable that. :) I'm not sure what I think of the camera so far. It seems to get focus faster than my Nexus (which doesn't take much) but I feel like even in outdoor shots I notice noise when I zoom in on them. I would have expected less noise given the higher MP count, though I'm no photographer by any means.

I bought the Z3 unlocked from Sony for 630 dollars so right away we're talking about nearly double the price of the OPO. I know the OPO is a rarity with its price, but it is something to consider. The Z3 is also very well built, though the glass back is quite slippery. I would definitely get a case for this phone. Like the OPO, the battery life is great. Once again, I don't think there's any way that I would burn through this battery before a full day was up. The software on the Z3 is pretty nice. It isn't too far from stock, which I like. Where this phone fails, in my opinion, is the camera. I had high hopes for this camera because of all of the reviews saying how great it was. And while it may be great for taking nice still landscape shots, it is HORRIBLE for trying to get pics of kids that are running around. The time between hitting the shutter button and the actual picture being taken is ridiculously long. I tried the Timeshift Burst mode, which is cool and works pretty well, but the pics are only taken at 1920x1080 resolution. If that mode was at least the 8MP resolution that the Superior Auto mode produces I would be fine with that, but 1920x1080? No thanks.

I place high importance on the camera on my phone since it is the only device that I will carry with me everywhere I go. With 2 young kids I like being able to get quality pictures from my camera. I know a lot of people say you should get a real camera if you want good pictures but I disagree. Having used several iPhones in the past, I was perfectly pleased with the shots I got from them. The OnePlus One doesn't match the iPhone 6 camera quality, but given the price difference (350 vs 750 for 64gb) and my preference for Android over iOS, I'm inclined to choose the OPO.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I actually bought both of these phones because they were the 2 I was most interested in upgrading to from my Nexus 5. I can give you my opinions of the two.

The OPO is a great value. 350 bucks for a 64gb phone off contract is awesome. The phone feels really well built and the size is fine for me. I think the "grippiness" of the back makes dealing with a larger phone much better. The battery life on this phone compared to my Nexus has been great. I don't see a time when I wouldn't easily be able to get through an entire day (from waking up until going to bed) with this phone. The software is fast and insanely customizable. One thing that i noticed out of the box was that Cyanogen puts a number on the notification tray icons to indicate how many notifications you have from an app. This really annoyed me because it made it hard to see the app icon so I went searching through the settings and sure enough, I could just disable that. :) I'm not sure what I think of the camera so far. It seems to get focus faster than my Nexus (which doesn't take much) but I feel like even in outdoor shots I notice noise when I zoom in on them. I would have expected less noise given the higher MP count, though I'm no photographer by any means.

I bought the Z3 unlocked from Sony for 630 dollars so right away we're talking about nearly double the price of the OPO. I know the OPO is a rarity with its price, but it is something to consider. The Z3 is also very well built, though the glass back is quite slippery. I would definitely get a case for this phone. Like the OPO, the battery life is great. Once again, I don't think there's any way that I would burn through this battery before a full day was up. The software on the Z3 is pretty nice. It isn't too far from stock, which I like. Where this phone fails, in my opinion, is the camera. I had high hopes for this camera because of all of the reviews saying how great it was. And while it may be great for taking nice still landscape shots, it is HORRIBLE for trying to get pics of kids that are running around. The time between hitting the shutter button and the actual picture being taken is ridiculously long. I tried the Timeshift Burst mode, which is cool and works pretty well, but the pics are only taken at 1920x1080 resolution. If that mode was at least the 8MP resolution that the Superior Auto mode produces I would be fine with that, but 1920x1080? No thanks.

I place high importance on the camera on my phone since it is the only device that I will carry with me everywhere I go. With 2 young kids I like being able to get quality pictures from my camera. I know a lot of people say you should get a real camera if you want good pictures but I disagree. Having used several iPhones in the past, I was perfectly pleased with the shots I got from them. The OnePlus One doesn't match the iPhone 6 camera quality, but given the price difference (350 vs 750 for 64gb) and my preference for Android over iOS, I'm inclined to choose the OPO.

Good comparison. I had a Z2 for a while and agree it was slippery. Also the glass back made me nervous. Swore off glass backed phones since, especially ones that are $650.

Posted via my OnePlus One!