ARCHIVED: Scott Pilgrim ROM for OV (CM7 Gingerbread, Zefie Edition) [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Scott Pilgrim ROM for OV (CM7 Gingerbread, Zefie Edition) [WI

I'm still playing with asadullas 2.2, but after a couple days with it I am going to give this a try, you seem like a smart man I'm sure you will figure out the mms issues, thanks for effort

kba712

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

great rom mate....everything seems to work apart fromt he MMS which i never use anyway...thank you very much

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I'll help you fix MMS. You don't need the kernel from AOSP, all you need is the framework from the ROM. Install AOSP, copy /system/framework/ The whole folder, and install Scott Pilgrim. Use root explorer or any other file browser and just copy the framework folder over. MMS should now work.

Raptor5150

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

is this worth it for a first time flash?? seems to me that AOSP is more current... isnt it?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I'll help you fix MMS. You don't need the kernel from AOSP, all you need is the framework from the ROM. Install AOSP, copy /system/framework/ The whole folder, and install Scott Pilgrim. Use root explorer or any other file browser and just copy the framework folder over. MMS should now work.

Thanks, I'll try that. I did the kernel switch mostly because I wanted to use a V kernel.

Update: No go. That just causes the the phone to not boot.

Last edited:

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll try this as soon you get the framwork done. I can't even get aosp to flash without feezing with the neweat build.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The device specific framework overlays including mms config are at ath3nos's github. It's in the source from the new optimus s cm7 rom.

https://github.com/ath3nos/android_device_lge_thunderc

I'm a noob at this but if the framework code is working and we compile from source for the vm670 mms should work.

If you want to try the framework source with building zefie's rom you can but I would build ath3nos's rom because it is active and more up to date.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I tested 4 other ideas mmarz had about getting mms to work but none of them did. It would be a good idea though to try using that version of CM7 since zefies hasn't been updated since april?

I'm downloading Ath3nos CM7 now, going to try these same steps mmarz listed out with that rom. I'm expecting that the mms still won't work with the trials I have run but wouldn't mind seeing what else will or won't work. Will report my findings when I have a chance to do this.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

The device specific framework overlays including mms config are at ath3nos's github. It's in the source from the new optimus s cm7 rom.

https://github.com/ath3nos/android_device_lge_thunderc

I'm a noob at this but if the framework code is working and we compile from source for the vm670 mms should work.

If you want to try the framework source with building zefie's rom you can but I would build ath3nos's rom because it is active and more up to date.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

Isn't the problem that VM sends their mms messages with a header or encryption which needs to be stripped out? That is why mms doesn't work on the Optimus V while using any of the S roms. So I would think that using the source for an S rom wouldn't be much help.

I have been trying to reverse engineer AOSP's framework, but there are all sorts of conflicts that has made the process a nightmare. Looking at AOSP's and Zefie's framework-res.apk side by side, there are only a handful of changes, but those changes shift the indices over such that the only way to make it work is to recompile the entire rom.

I think I'm going to give up for now. Everything in the "rom" posted here should work except for receiving mms messages.

Growjunky

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I flashed zefies rom then I deleted the message app then I installed the messaging app from aosp and I was able to send and receive but recieves under a weird phone number and you don't get the picture you get the code from it. I do believe its the message app itself that needs tweaked to make this work. Remember I'm new at this but it might be worth a try.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I flashed zefies rom then I deleted the message app then I installed the messaging app from aosp and I was able to send and receive but recieves under a weird phone number and you don't get the picture you get the code from it. I do believe its the message app itself that needs tweaked to make this work. Remember I'm new at this but it might be worth a try.

That's what we mean by MMS not working, it gives you a 99999999 number and a bunch of chinese characters or whatever for the message. Mmarz knows a lot about this stuff and I have tested 5 different options on fixing this with no success. Appears, as he said, that unless AOSP releases source code (which isn't going to happen) we wont get a fix for this. :(

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
That's what we mean by MMS not working, it gives you a 99999999 number and a bunch of chinese characters or whatever for the message. Mmarz knows a lot about this stuff and I have tested 5 different options on fixing this with no success. Appears, as he said, that unless AOSP releases source code (which isn't going to happen) we wont get a fix for this. :(

Which is a huge contradiction. He calls himself aosp (android open source platform), but wont release his source code, lol. His decision, but contradictory none the less.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that's what I like about android and linux the most. Their ability and desire to share everything. Sharing the source could only make all of the gb roms better when they can help fix issues or add things amongst themselves like the froyo devs do here daily. If it wasn't for their sharing than we wouldn't have such great options available to us.

nascar2428

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Which is a huge contradiction. He calls himself aosp (android open source platform), but wont release his source code, lol. His decision, but contradictory none the less.

Isn't it interesting that the people in the AOSP camp forced the bumblebee Dev into revealing source on 6-25-2011 and yet a simple fix for this ROM which would be some source code probably will not materialize.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Isn't it interesting that the people in the AOSP camp forced the bumblebee Dev into revealing source on 6-25-2011 and yet a simple fix for this ROM which would be some source code probably will not materialize.

way back sometime ago, xda-aosp got threatened by google itself and was told to package the g-apps separate from his rom... that's the last I heard of him getting leaned on.
poor obi got tagged because kernel source is required by the GPL, but unfortunately rom-source isn't afaik, so unfairness reigns.
it's unfortunate that he doesn't respond to all the public requests for his source, I can't imagine how it'd hurt him any to release it, even just as a patchset.

Last edited:

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
way back sometime ago, xda-aosp got threatened by google itself and was told to package the g-apps separate from his rom... that's the last I heard of him getting leaned on.
poor obi got tagged because kernel source is required by the GPL, but unfortunately rom-source isn't afaik, so unfairness reigns.
it's unfortunate that he doesn't respond to all the public requests for his source, I can't imagine how it'd hurt him any to release it, even just as a patchset.

I don't think it would hurt anything at all, but some people are stingy. Can't really hold it against him though, it's his right to keep it to himself.

munkyvirus

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I think he means aosp as in he tries to make his builds as vanilla as possible. I remember him saying way back in the day that we wants to eventually get all the CM7 stuff out of his rom but he still needs it. When it's out of alpha, I think he wants a CM7 version and a vanilla version.

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I think he means aosp as in he tries to make his builds as vanilla as possible. I remember him saying way back in the day that we wants to eventually get all the CM7 stuff out of his rom but he still needs it. When it's out of alpha, I think he wants a CM7 version and a vanilla version.

Yeah maybe. I can't even flash aosp cm7 anymore. I was running his 5.31 build, then I flashed bumblebee. I then wanted to go back so I downloaded rom manager, installed its current cwm, then direct dl'd aosp. It freezes on android logo every time. I'm getting tired of even trying, but I think I'm gonna try to flash xionia's cwm and try once more.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm surprised none of the fanboys have chimed in on the harsh remarks about aosp,its a bummer you can't get this going, I am about due to try a new rom, there hasn't been anything new and exciting to try for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol