Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    JBC/Squid's Kernel

Default Operation KRUSH KOUSH

This thread is now irrelevant. Support for the Optimus V has been removed from ROM Manager.

[HL]OPERATION KRUSH KOUSH[/HL]

Koushik Dutta (AKA Koush) is the creator of ROM Manager, ClockworkMod, Tether, and DeskSMS, a dev with CyanogenMod, and...he's also the reason we get keep getting new threads about someone "bricking" their OV. Because his ROM Manager app uses outdated databases for its' custom recoveries, Optimus V phones that shipped with the ZV5 baseband (Android 2.2.2) end up with a black screen upon entering the ClockworkMod recovery. This is because the outdated recovery used by ROM Manager does not include the correct video drivers for newer OVs. It's actually not to difficult to remedy, for those that know what they're doing, but let's be honest, those who are using ROM Manager likely don't know what they're doing. And it's not entirely their fault. Someone is offering what they say is a simple solution to installing a custom ROM, but often, they end up with what appears to be a broken phone.

This has several effects:
    • Some unlucky sod gets to feel an unnecessary state of panic.
    • We get a new thread titled with an expression of said panic.
    • Several frustrated forum members hold hands with panicked OV owner, and carefully guide them back to sanity.
    • ROM Manager gets a bad review.
    • The cycle continues...

So we do what we can. Even though there are several stickies that explain the correct steps to follow when installing a custom ROM, and explicitly forbade the use of ROM Manager, we all know that not everyone reads the stickies like they should. This is not a permanent solution. We need to get at the root of the cause.

There are two options for a permanent solution. Either the recoveries for the Optimus V get removed from ROM Manager, or the custom recovery used by ROM Manager gets updated. Either option is a really simple fix for Koush to implement. But he has refused to acknowledge any previous requests.

It's time to get serious. We need to put forth a organized effort to get his attention. We have to make use of every available avenue of communication, the more public, the better. I've compiled a list of contact methods. Please PM me (flapjack.fiasco) if you know of any additional methods:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's the link to ROM Manager on Google Play:
    [removed]

Leave a negative review. Give details about why this app isn't compatible with your phone, even though it claims to be. Describe how the recovery is inaccessible without third party tools due to a recovery with missing drivers.

Unfortunately, you can't review ROM Manager without installing it, so don't use this method unless you know for certain that you can resist the urge to use it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is the developer contact email address from the Play Store:
    [removed]

Follow up your review of ROM Manager with an email to this address. Let him know what his app does to our phones.

This is Koushik Dutta's Google+ page:
    [removed]

Log in and leave a little message for Koush. Tell him that you'd love to use his app, but until he updates it, you can't justify purchasing the premium version, because don't want to risk bricking your phone.

Or some such similar scenario. Be creative, try to get his attention. Try to make him aware of the fact that there are people willing to pay him money to use his app (whether or not that's true for you), but can't because it's out of date.

This is Koush's Twitter account:
    [removed]

Well, by now you get the idea. Hit him up on Twitter too, and let your feelings be known.

We need to do this together, in large enough numbers to get his attention. We'll come up with a time that we can all participate, and bombard him on a regular basis.

So bring your ideas, and get ready to make something happen!
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Thanked by 3:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM
    JBC/Squid's Kernel

Default Re: Operation KRUSH KOUSH

I'm aware that there is a similar problem between ROM Manager and the Optimus S. If any OS users, or knowledgeable OV users could specify that problem for me, I'll add it to the original post.

Lol. I digg, but seems more like a hate club. Giving it a negative review will likely lower the rating by .5%, buy hey. :P

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    JBC/Squid's Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyLurkin View Post
    Lol. I digg, but seems more like a hate club. Giving it a negative review will likely lower the rating by .5%, buy hey. :P

That's the idea. Negative ratings give Koush more incentive to fix the problem.

Also, I'm not asking anyone to be mean about it. It deserves a negative review because it doesn't work correctly on the OV. Any other means of communication should be used courteously in order to bring the problem to his attention.

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Tweet sent to koush.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

I already got a response. He asked what the issue was and I explained it. Waiting on a response.

Thanked by:
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    JBC/Squid's Kernel

Wow! I really didn't expect that to happen (based on what I've read in the past about OV users attempting to contact him). I haven't even made an attempt yet, I thought we'd cull together a group first. Thank you sellers86!
    Thanked by:
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

He has often responded, doesn't mean anything ever changes.

Don't expect him to do anything, at least not without you doing all of the actual work. That includes logcats and precise lines of code. Even then, it may not happen.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 3:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The best way to remedy the situation would be contact him and offer to send him your phone. Then he'll make sure it works perfectly. I've seen him do this before. There are a ton of phones that don't have an official working version of CWM recovery. Actually, most are probably not "official versions" but rather ports.

I have a One X and the CWM that's out there for my phone has a ton of issues. So I choose not to use it. I use TWRP instead. Is there an alternate recovery for you device? If so, and it works like it's supposed to, then make sure to put in the flashing instructions for your ROM that you MUST HAVE XXXX RECOVERY installed. All the ROMs for my phone have this listed, and anyone that reads the instructions (you always read the instructions before you do something that could brick your phone, right? RIGHT?) will see it and know to avoid CWM.

While I understand the frustration (and have shared in it myself before), writing negative reviews, twitter bombing, and Google+ bombing isn't the way to go. It's not really that hard to figure out that a dev of any sort will have an extremely difficult time getting something to work (especially something like this) without having the actual device. It's very specific, and there aren't any practical guidelines for writing a universal recovery that'll "just work".

This is the exact same situation as trying to run a ROM not made for your phone, and then asking someone to port it over with incomplete, inaccurate, or wrong information. With no device to test it on or make sure it works like it's supposed to.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Jakethedrummer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    The best way to remedy the situation would be contact him and offer to send him your phone. Then he'll make sure it works perfectly. I've seen him do this before. There are a ton of phones that don't have an official working version of CWM recovery. Actually, most are probably not "official versions" but rather ports.

I have a One X and the CWM that's out there for my phone has a ton of issues. So I choose not to use it. I use TWRP instead. Is there an alternate recovery for you device? If so, and it works like it's supposed to, then make sure to put in the flashing instructions for your ROM that you MUST HAVE XXXX RECOVERY installed. All the ROMs for my phone have this listed, and anyone that reads the instructions (you always read the instructions before you do something that could brick your phone, right? RIGHT?) will see it and know to avoid CWM.

While I understand the frustration (and have shared in it myself before), writing negative reviews, twitter bombing, and Google+ bombing isn't the way to go. It's not really that hard to figure out that a dev of any sort will have an extremely difficult time getting something to work (especially something like this) without having the actual device. It's very specific, and there aren't any practical guidelines for writing a universal recovery that'll "just work".

This is the exact same situation as trying to run a ROM not made for your phone, and then asking someone to port it over with incomplete, inaccurate, or wrong information. With no device to test it on or make sure it works like it's supposed to.
    I like everything except for the sending him the phone part...

I know that is how he rolls and operates but I would also think it comes with the territory.. Your going to supply an app/tool that is the life line for rooted users you almost have to be willing to support all possible devices and I don't feel it should be up to some general joe consumer to send him a test/development device either...

This could be looked at either way, but seeing how popular his device is and the money I'm sure he's made off the Pro version of his ROM Manager and donations along the way...

I'll be willing to except the hate mail on this one.. LOL.. Guess that is why my recovery of choice is TWRP which is based on XML language, same language our OS is based from so it works so much better, faster and more efficient IMO.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Having my own stuff on Google Play makes me think twice about writing a negative review of an app on there, but I've emailed koush in the past and ye completely ignored my email, which politely asked him to remove the LG Optimus V from his app because it was bricking phones. I know first hand how annoying it can be to get all sorts of emails from users complaining. However, I respond to all emails people send to me and I try to rectify the issues... of course the user base for my themes and apps is much smaller than koush's...

ROM
    The GODZILLA Rom

Is there a way to make it "incompatible" for our phones on the playstore? So we can't download it?

ROM
    Stock, CM10, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by topdawg661 View Post
    Is there a way to make it "incompatible" for our phones on the playstore? So we can't download it?

Maybe we can try asking VM to block it?

ROM
    The GODZILLA Rom

We get along without it fine. If only that 15% of people didn't try to use. Not gunna lie I was apart of them I made a mistake I'm not annoyed with helping them. I'm annoyed with rom manager not working. I undertsand tho. There's hundreds of phones out there.

Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    JBC/Squid's Kernel

Except it's not that difficult. He just needs to add a video driver to the kernel. Or add one of the recoveries that our devs have built.

Thanked by 2:

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by flapjack.fiasco View Post
    Except it's not that difficult. He just needs to add a video driver to the kernel. Or add one of the recoveries that our devs have built.

Or drop the ov all together.

Thanked by 2:
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

The best way to remedy the situation would be contact him and offer to send him your phone.
    Sorry, but I lost respect for him a while back.
    Great program and developer, but he takes no responsibility at all for any of it.

It's not JUST that the phone doesn't work (and yes he knows about it), the roms he has listed on there were NOT put there by the devs (he knows about that as well!!!). He has been asked by several devs here to deal with both issues and he seems to quickly lose interest in fixing either problem.

He is "bricking" phones and putting far more at risk and simply couldn't care less so long as the money keeps coming.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by topdawg661 View Post
    We get along without it fine. If only that 15% of people didn't try to use. Not gunna lie I was apart of them I made a mistake I'm not annoyed with helping them. I'm annoyed with rom manager not working. I undertsand tho. There's hundreds of phones out there.

I used it too, but it actually worked for me. I used a recovery off rom manager for over six months... I have the old screen and I'm pretty sure I used rom manager to flash CWM recovery last summer and used it until January. I'm almost positive it was from him because it never showed the LG logo when I booted into it... maybe it wasn't from it though... 3.2.0.1 I think...

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    JBC/Squid's Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by sellers86 View Post
    Or drop the ov all together.

This would be the easiest solution, and I'm all for it. But I'd love for him to keep making money while not bricking anyone's phone.

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    I used it too, but it actually worked for me. I used a recovery off rom manager for over six months... I have the old screen and I'm pretty sure I used rom manager to flash CWM recovery last summer and used it until January. I'm almost positive it was from him because it never showed the LG logo when I booted into it... maybe it wasn't from it though... 3.2.0.1 I think...

It works for mine too, but the problem is the new screens. The kernel in the recovery does not contain the right drivers for new screens.

Thanked by:

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Good news guys, koush is showing interest. He wants a link to the recovery I think

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Okay, guys, I don't know how intense the level of contact has been, but please let Sellers continue his dialog with Koush now, and see what happens before others continue to contact him. No reason to spam him unnecessarily.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    Okay, guys, I don't know how intense the level of contact has been, but please let Sellers continue his dialog with Koush now, and see what happens before others continue to contact him. No reason to spam him unnecessarily.
    Asadullah has also contacted him on Twitter.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    The GODZILLA Rom

Good luck you guys. It would be nice to have it work (:

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    Last year I contacted him via G+ he passed the buck to one of his associates. Then nothing ever come of it.

@Kevin O'Quinn its not so much the recovery as people install Rom Manager to get CWM. Then once the phone is bricked create threads saying help I used Rom Mangler and bricked my phone. If we can get to the people before using Rom Mangler they get the proper recovery.

@Paul627g I agree Koush could pick up any of the Optimus One variants for pretty cheap and not break his bank account. But in all honesty if he would respond to people and not blow them off this would have been fixed many months ago.

Like LeslieAnn says he has been contacted and chooses to ignore this community because they arent the latest and greatest. Look at the phones supported and not supported. Most supported phones are high end phones and the unsupported are ones he would be embarrassed to use.

Recently the devs for my current phone stopped even trying to get official support from Rom Mangler. Because after three months of unanswered and unapproved requests they went to goo.im and within the hour were approved and setup to upload.

I have the conversation from G+ still but the emails I sent him I recently deleted. I tired for several weeks to get a response on how to remedy the situation and it feel to deaf ears. I hope sellers gets a better response but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Hey +Koushik Dutta just wanted to pass this to you. The new LG Optimus V's are being shipped out with the screens from the Optimus S. Therefore they have the video drivers from the VD baseband and in turn end up appearing bricked when installing Clockwork Mod Recovery. There is about five confirmed cases of this on Android Central. If you let me know what you need Ill try to get the people experiencing the issue to contact you. Briefly whats happening is they install CWM recovery and then a rom and when booting back end up with a black screen.

Koushik DuttaSep 8, 2011
    +Ricardo Cerqueira Know anything about what +Chris Flinn is talking about?

Ricardo CerqueiraSep 8, 2011
    Those are the Sprint and Virgin Mobile variants of the P500. We don't support either, so if you have CWM for them it doesn't come from our repos...
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast