ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WobbleTheHutt

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
ive been using it for a bit now and other than the lack of being able to activate i have not found any issues, however if ya can tell me what to look for ill check!

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
this rom sounds awesome, first thing ill be trying when i get my V. A few questions though from the reading i have done on this phone...

is the touchscreen sensitivity/bug/whatever fixed? I like really sensitive touchscreens and i know from ROM to ROM this changes. Ive seen a touchscreen bugfix floating around, can that be applied to this ROM?

How is gaming on this ROM? Ive heard slowness issues with Angry Birds. How does Rocket Bunnies run?

Can anybody provide overclocking profiles? Ive played with SetCPU before but i used someone else's profiles. Would like to simply have some pre-done profiles to maximize battery life while maximizing speed.

Thanks!

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
What is this touch screen bug I keep hearing about? The only bug I experienced is sometimes when you're scrolling it will just jump and keep scrolling until it reaches the end. But that's not so frequent so it's nothing to pull my hair out for.

Btw, I'll give you what profiles I have set. It's made for battery saving while maintaining decent performance, i.e. little lag on lockscreen when screen wakes.

[Profile] [Priority] - [max] , [min] , [scaling]
Charging [100%] - 600 , 245 , ondemand
Screen Off [99%] - 245 , 122 , conservative
Battery <101% [98%] - 600 , 122 , ondemand
Battery < 50% [97%] - 600 , 122 , conservative
Battery <35% [ 96%] - 480 , 122 , ondemand
Battery <20% [95%] - 480 , 122 , conservative

You can overclock as needed. But I suggest only for Battery 101% to maximize battery life. You can also add a temperature profile just in case you overheat. But with my non-overclocked settings you don't have to worry much about overheating.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
does this rom fix the touchscreen bug ???
I love my optimus v even in stock :D

The touchscreen bug is present on all android phones (supposedly it is fixed in 2.3, but I haven't tested it yet). What happens is that during a touch event (i.e., when you first touch the screen) the processor jumps to 100%, and it causes skipping in games, programs, etc. A "quick and dirty" test is to watch your setCpu frequency when you first touch the screen. You'll see it jump from your low setting to your high setting for a second, and then settle back down.

To answer your question, the kernel in this rom has a few touchscreen driver tweaks to lessen the bug (And it is for sure better than stock), but the problem isn't completely eliminated because it has to do with the way Android handles touchscreen events. As I mentioned above, 2.3 is supposed to fix this problem, and there is an initial 2.3 port in the S thread that should work, so if you are having serious touchscreen problems, you should probably try that rom instead.

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I may work on the tweaks required to make the rom work 100% on the V (i.e., fix the button mapping), but frankly, I have my hands full just working out the kinks with a nearly stock rom! lol. :)

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
this rom sounds awesome, first thing ill be trying when i get my V. A few questions though from the reading i have done on this phone...

is the touchscreen sensitivity/bug/whatever fixed? I like really sensitive touchscreens and i know from ROM to ROM this changes. Ive seen a touchscreen bugfix floating around, can that be applied to this ROM?

How is gaming on this ROM? Ive heard slowness issues with Angry Birds. How does Rocket Bunnies run?

Can anybody provide overclocking profiles? Ive played with SetCPU before but i used someone else's profiles. Would like to simply have some pre-done profiles to maximize battery life while maximizing speed.

Thanks!

There are some tweaks to lesson the touchscreen problem, but it's not completely gone.. See my last post.. Gaming is much improved, assuming you are overclocked. If you are not, the differences are hardly going to be noticeable. I run Angry Birds just fine. It chugs a little on the later levels still, but it's not nearly as bad as stock. There's another thread specifically dedicated to overclocked gaming on the forum.

jroofad

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence 'bout rooting ftb due to wifi tethering..
Red's beta3 rom looks like the ticket imma grab as soon as he fixes a few kinks (much appreciated Red)!!
Tether via quick settings works magically on the stock virgin froyo.

Touchscreen bug:

Minor fix by mik_os
[GPL][updated 03.02.2011] Kernel with minimized touchscreen bug - xda-developers

More info in Optimus T forum:
Lg Optimus T / One touchscreen bug fixed!!! No more lag!!! - xda-developers

Video showing before & after playing Reckless Racing on Optimus One:
YouTube - LG Optimus One touch bug FIXED!

samusishere1

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence 'bout rooting ftb due to wifi tethering..
Red's beta3 rom looks like the ticket imma grab as soon as he fixes a few kinks (much appreciated Red)!!
Tether via quick settings works magically on the stock virgin froyo.

Touchscreen bug:

Minor fix by mik_os
[GPL][updated 03.02.2011] Kernel with minimized touchscreen bug - xda-developers

More info in Optimus T forum:
Lg Optimus T / One touchscreen bug fixed!!! No more lag!!! - xda-developers

Video showing before & after playing Reckless Racing on Optimus One:
YouTube - LG Optimus One touch bug FIXED!

so this will keep the cpu from spikeing like that???? is it overclockable? are any keys switched on the v??????????????

Also does anyone notice lag at all.? like when transitioning screens? it seams too happen when im typeing,playing a game or anything else. any ideas???

Last edited:
Reactions: jmel

gfidanli

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey Android newbie here. Just rooted and flashed the Xionia rom last night. Also installed setCPU to do some overclocking. Everything has been great but now my phone has started to randomly reboot. Sometimes it will be fine after the reboot, other times it will keep rebooting constantly. Any ideas what could be the problem? Is it the overclocking?

EDIT: Turned SetCPU off and still rebooted. If it helps, it seems to happen every time I try to use my Barcode Scanner app.

skudjon

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
This rocks

This is by far the best ROM for the Optimus V. Quick and easy install and wow does it fly. Thank you so much for your hard work and for giving us all a phone we can be proud of and the opportunity to shove it people's face that I have a better performing phone than they do for a fraction of the price. You found a lifetime customer. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RevolutionRed

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't overclocked, I just put the rom in and ran with it. I've been running it almost a week now. It does run better on games, Angry bird runs smoother on earlier and later levels. I can't tell you by how much though, I backed up the wrong Angry Birds file and don't car to flash back to get it and I haven't leveled up that far yet, but it is definitely faster than stock.

As for the wifi tethering, it takes a moment to kick in fully, but it does work. I haven't found anything yet that doesn't work on it, though compared to many of you, my phone is probably bare.

Regardless, it's a worthwhile improvement over stock even if you don't overclock. You get a speed improvement and get rid of some junk, which increased my battery life. Exactly what I was after.

If you are on the fence, read, read, read.
It's less scary the more you read up on this stuff and the benefits are good. I too was on the fence, but I'm glad I did it.

Reactions: RevolutionRed

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Can someone post up how to install this ROM? I scanned through the thread, but didn't see how to install it, I am rooted, and custom recovery.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Also on that front, Red, is it possible to build in any fixes for the cpu spiking to 100% usage when the touch screen is pressed?

EDIT: I see someone asked that already, so my apologies. Still curious though :)

Last edited:

mikeladue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Can someone post up how to install this ROM? I scanned through the thread, but didn't see how to install it, I am rooted, and custom recovery.

Put it in the root of your SD card, then install (flash . . .I forget the menu name) in the custom recovery.

Before you do that however, wipe the cache and Dalvik cache (also through the custom recovery). You may or may not have to wipe /data. Try it without first, then if you have problems, go ahead and wipe all three, then flash the ROM again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc