ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyBlanco

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The website is down for me right now,but I'm pretty sure there is a way to do it on the website. You also could call C.S. they are generally very helpful and friendly, and should be able to switch you over with little hassle.

If you are going with the 4g mytouch believe me you will love it. It's the reason I bought this phone. I had a blackberry before but my aunt was looking to replace her phone, so I looked at all the phones and the 4g was clear winner for her. In the process of learning about the phone and android I got bit by the bug, and snatched up a android of my own.

so the fact that it is flashed wont mess anything up on virgins end?

and yeah, this optimus v was my 1st android... and i got it a week ago, i had no idea how much i would like it. (or i would have went with a top of the line one to begin with) my only other smartphone was Omnia1 with windows 6.1 which was not good at all. everything i learned about rooting and recoveries and roms over the last week was from this optimus v section. my buddy has a droid1 and i flashed his this weekend to Cyanogen with the P3Droid clocked at 1.1gHZ and that made me realize that id like something a bit more cutting edge. ive heard mytouch 4g clocks to 1.8gHZ fml.... and CM7 Nightlys are pretty stable on it now. plus i figure if i weed out the virgin bill ($25 a month), cancel my broadband and tether the 4g (saves $50 a month) plus my job offers me a 10% discount w/ t mobile... so i will probably break even with the $80 plan.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
PSA, newbie question..

I've rooted, installed custom recovery and then installed the ROM with no errors.

I woke up this morning to my phone telling me it was out of memory, down to 12MB of internal storage. I'm not sure what is going on but I'd like to try and fix it by reinstalling the ROM.

Before I installed I did a nandroid backup in custom recovery. Can I just boot into custom recovery and restore that backup and I'll be back to where I started?

I'd like to go back to where I started, factory reset the phone so it is clean and then install the ROM. Hopefully that will clean up the memory issue then I can download the apps.

Thanks for the help!

ARP

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
PSA, newbie question..

I've rooted, installed custom recovery and then installed the ROM with no errors.

I woke up this morning to my phone telling me it was out of memory, down to 12MB of internal storage. I'm not sure what is going on but I'd like to try and fix it by reinstalling the ROM.

Before I installed I did a nandroid backup in custom recovery. Can I just boot into custom recovery and restore that backup and I'll be back to where I started?

I'd like to go back to where I started, factory reset the phone so it is clean and then install the ROM. Hopefully that will clean up the memory issue then I can download the apps.

Thanks for the help!

Just a quick note: After installing this kernel/ROM combo, I also got a message that I was nearly out of internal memory. I thought this was odd considering this ROM comes without the Virgin bloat and I deleted a further four apps. I also had some stability issues, but that may have just been from too agressive an overclock. Regardless, I've removed this ROM until I can figure out why it is taking up more internal memory than the stock ROM.

As for your question: If you restore from your nandroid backup, you'll be back to exactly whatever state your ROM and kernel were in when you made the backup. If that means stock kernel with a nearly stock ROM, that is what you'll get. You will still have your custom recovery (so it's not a complete factory reset), but you'll want the custom recovery in order to re-flash this or another ROM.

If you want to go completely back to a stock kernel, ROM, and recovery, follow the directions in this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/58106-how-return-your-phone-stock-mostly.html

That's probably a bit overkill if you're just looking to re-flash your phone to it's original ROM and try this one again.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just deleted and reinstalled the biggest memory hog, Slacker Radio. That thing was taking up 36MB of memory, when reinstalled it went to 3MB. I'm not sure what happened..

ARP

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just deleted and reinstalled the biggest memory hog, Slacker Radio. That thing was taking up 36MB of memory, when reinstalled it went to 3MB. I'm not sure what happened..

I believe Slacker Radio will download and cache songs so that they play uninterrupted if you lose your signal. If you reinstall the app, it doesn't have any songs cached. As soon as you start using the app, it will probably grow in size again. Instead of constantly deleting/reinstalling, you can just clear the cache from within the app manager. You may also be able to move the cached data to the SD card, but I am not sure as I do not use Slacker Radio.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I do cache songs and they goto the SD card and not the internal memory. I'm not sure what happened with Slacker, I'll give it a go and try caching again and see if the problem stays or not. I doubt it is a problem with the ROM though, I remember some people in the Market Reviews talking about how it takes up alot of memory.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help with the optimus V one quick question. since i installed this rom the android market is the older version and it would fc with an error (process com.android.vending) has stopped unxpectedly. after downloading an app. what do you think could be the cause and can you force upgrade the market app?

By opening up the market app, it should update automatically. But, since you apparently can't do that... I would try rebooting into the custom recovery and clearing your cache and dalvik cache (They're under the wipe menu). That should do the trick. If not, let me know. If people continue to have problems I can upload a new version of the rom with updated apps.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick note: After installing this kernel/ROM combo, I also got a message that I was nearly out of internal memory. I thought this was odd considering this ROM comes without the Virgin bloat and I deleted a further four apps. I also had some stability issues, but that may have just been from too agressive an overclock. Regardless, I've removed this ROM until I can figure out why it is taking up more internal memory than the stock ROM.

As for your question: If you restore from your nandroid backup, you'll be back to exactly whatever state your ROM and kernel were in when you made the backup. If that means stock kernel with a nearly stock ROM, that is what you'll get. You will still have your custom recovery (so it's not a complete factory reset), but you'll want the custom recovery in order to re-flash this or another ROM.

If you want to go completely back to a stock kernel, ROM, and recovery, follow the directions in this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/58106-how-return-your-phone-stock-mostly.html

That's probably a bit overkill if you're just looking to re-flash your phone to it's original ROM and try this one again.

The most likely problem is that you simply need to clear your cache after installing the rom. After flashing the rom from the custom recovery, go to the wipe menu and wipe your cache + dalvik cache. This won't delete your data, but will clear up old versions of the software floating around in your system.

Alternatively, as I mentioned further back in the thread, if you are coming from another custom rom that supports dalvik to cache (and most do), the stuff that was offloaded to your cache will now be back on your main memory, and you will have less space. The reason for not using dalvik to cache is that it's simply more like the stock rom.

When all is said and done, this rom should be about 20mb smaller than the pure stock rom. This can be easily verified by extracting the system folder from the rom and comparing it the extracted system folder from the stock backup.

I've updated the first post to mention that you should wipe your cache after installing the rom.

As far as stability is concerned, it is most likely your overclock. Especially if it happens most often when you are playing games, watching video, or do something else that is processor intensive. Try backing off a notch or two and see what happens. If the stability problems go away, you were simply overclocked too high. If they continue, something is up with the rom, and I'd like to know so that I can investigate.

Last edited:

scoutconnor

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I had installed this rom yesterday and did not have any problems until today.
I'm using Hotspot Widget and it will not longer broadcast a network when using this rom. I have also noticed that my phone is quite unstable and it reboots every few minutes or so. It had previously been overclocked to 825Mhz but I have since brought it down to 600Mhz and it is still unstable.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Red.. I cleared the cache and dalvik (not sure what that is) and it cleared up some space. I deleted some other apps just to get back closer to stock, now up to 70MB of internal memory available.

danhalen

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well i thought everything was going good with the rom. Turns out it had been rebooting and freezing up. Wasn't doing anything when it happened the phone was just sitting there. I don't know if there is a debug log? or a way to log? Id be willing to help with what i can.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had installed this rom yesterday and did not have any problems until today.
I'm using Hotspot Widget and it will not longer broadcast a network when using this rom. I have also noticed that my phone is quite unstable and it reboots every few minutes or so. It had previously been overclocked to 825Mhz but I have since brought it down to 600Mhz and it is still unstable.

Thanks for the heads up. Will test with the wireless hotspot app and see if I can figure out what's up.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well i thought everything was going good with the rom. Turns out it had been rebooting and freezing up. Wasn't doing anything when it happened the phone was just sitting there. I don't know if there is a debug log? or a way to log? Id be willing to help with what i can.

Interesting. Are you overclocked at all? Any third party apps that may be running? Does it reboot while sleeping(is the screen off when it happens)? Sorry to play twenty questions, just trying figure out what's up.

ohfivepro

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
By opening up the market app, it should update automatically. But, since you apparently can't do that... I would try rebooting into the custom recovery and clearing your cache and dalvik cache (They're under the wipe menu). That should do the trick. If not, let me know. If people continue to have problems I can upload a new version of the rom with updated apps.

i cleared the cache and dalvik cache but still got the same fc issue. its really not a big deal phone is solid. cant wait for beta 3

729mhz ~ MFLOPS:8.77@9.56s great trade off speed/battery
844mhz ~9.908@8.46s fastest she can go

Reactions: RevolutionRed

danhalen

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey sorry i didnt get back sooner, had a 4 hour long Revit class. No im not overclocked, the only major app that really runs in the background is "lookout". The first time i noticed something was when i believe it was asleep and rebooted, and i restarted it again for the heck of it. then a little while later i noticed that it locked up and was not asleep. It might be worth noting that i Didn't reset the cache or the dalvik cache after flashing your rom. IF theres anything else you need to know just let me know, im new to the whole android scene but far more familiar with console hacking.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey sorry i didnt get back sooner, had a 4 hour long Revit class. No im not overclocked, the only major app that really runs in the background is "lookout". The first time i noticed something was when i believe it was asleep and rebooted, and i restarted it again for the heck of it. then a little while later i noticed that it locked up and was not asleep. It might be worth noting that i Didn't reset the cache or the dalvik cache after flashing your rom. IF theres anything else you need to know just let me know, im new to the whole android scene but far more familiar with console hacking.

Try clearing your caches first thing. That's always a good place to start. I'll do some testing on my phone with lookout and see what happens.

chymmylt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just throwing it out there that it might not be your rom - it might be the phone. I've yet to install your rom - very close to just don't have the time to do it at the moment. My phone when I first bought it ran extremely fast and reliably. After owning it for two weeks I've been subject to a number of fc's and the phone has randomly rebooted at least 3 times that I know of. Most of the issues seems to be around google navigation for me but are not limited to. I've also had random run away processes that completely drain the battery in a couple of hours where other times the phone can go a day and a half without charging. The phone is basically stock - no custom recovery - no custom roms. It's quite possible that you've not introduced any problems but have just built upon a buggy foundation that seems to take a bit to manifest (at least it did for me). Could easily be wrong but thought I'd through that out there as you're trying to narrow down problems.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It's been nearly a week since using this rom. But recently, after reboots, apps installed on the sd card have been disappearing. When I install missing apps through titanium it processes but says it will overwrite the existing app. So it's still there but not visible, like it's just based off a report log that didn't record the uninstallations or disappearance.

I found on a moto droid forum that the person deleted the contents of .android_secure on the sd card to remedy the problem. But he/she also wiped and reinstalled the rom. I will let you know if deleting the folder contents are good enough.

But is this related to the rom? I did not wipe because, as stated in your notes, users have reported no problems installing without wiping.

It's worth mentioning that when on the previous rom (RodimusROM) whenever I moved an app to sd it would pop up an error message that it couldn't be moved to the sd. But after trying again it worked and moved to sd. I'm guessing this was because of that error and being carried over to this rom brought the problem along.

UPDATE: I am now reinstalling missing apps via titanium after deleting .android_secure contents. It still has the same "Replace Application" dialogue. I may have to wipe if the disappearing apps after reboot routine persists.

UPDATE 2: I have now moved all apps to sd without any error dialogs. If I did get one I uninstalled then reinstalled and moved. But either way it warns me that the app exists and will be replaced. After rebooting (battery pull and power off) some apps still disappear. I don't know what's the key remedy to this without wiping. Even downloading titanium from Market (since it disappeared) ended up disappearing again. So it doesn't matter whether it's restore from titanium or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1