Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiernon View Post
    Ah, this is my first android device, so I wouldn't had known what the old one looked like. :P

To be honest, I kind of prefer it...

-K
    Yeah me too i think its better

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock

I'll give it a test in a bit, but always glad to see another rom/kernel dev for the V
    MobiusROM - The Debugging Rom. Get it @ http://j.mp/dOBSoR
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by spaced View Post
    this looks like the old market, gonna give this rom a go it sounds nice

The Market updates itself silently. Run it once, then the next time it's loaded it will have the new look again.

I noticed that GMail, Youtube, and perhaps one other have had recent updates since I dumped from stock, so the next ROM update will have the newer versions. I have no idea if the Market update itself is actually contained in the apk (I could have sworn it was the new version when I dumped it, but I may be wrong), but when I update the ROM next week I will make sure it's the apk is dumped after it has updated itself.

When overclocking, what's the best way to test for stability? Repeatedly run the SetCPU stress test at increasing speeds until my phone reboots? And how long should I run the test for at each speed?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by davidh44 View Post
    I thought the V doesn't change voltage at all? Which is why mmarz found in his testing that there is no point to underclocking at idle. Have you tried in your case just setting it to Performance mode and locking the CPU at 806Mhz? It seems that would eliminate some CPU cycles from not having to do any load sampling without reducing battery life.
    Using the performance governor will not show any noticeable increase in battery drain when the CPU is idle, that is true. However, when the CPU is called on to do a brief task, if you have it set at 806/performance then it will draw more power for that task than if you had it set at 480-806/interactive and the task only required 480mhz. The interactive governor doesn't poll, it only switches frequency when coming out of idle.

My comment about there being a "voltage change" if the CPU changes frequencies from 122 to 480, which it would do for any brief task at all, was based on an article I recently read about the msm7627 CPU when I was trying to tweak the frequency OC code myself, but I can't find it now. If I can't locate that info, I may just edit that comment out of the OP since I may be remembering it wrong.

The CPU is very efficient all around, so most of this discussion really might not matter in the long run.

Is there any difference between the Activate app and just pressing ##847446# on the dialpad?
    The dial trick won't work if you don't have the Activate app installed. I tested it without the app and it does nothing.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
    When overclocking, what's the best way to test for stability? Repeatedly run the SetCPU stress test at increasing speeds until my phone reboots? And how long should I run the test for at each speed?
    If you run the SetCPU Long test and the phone doesn't spontaneously reboot during the test, you should be golden.

There's also a chess app that is great for testing your CPU when you set on Computer vs. Computer mode (DroidFish Chess).

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMOD

i keep getting the blue screen and swap different recoveries
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by citizeninsane89 View Post
    Which ROM did you have before? Which recovery do you have? Did you wipe from recovery? Don't use the factory reset from the phone settings

Restore to your previous state, then wipe data from recovery, then install the ROM. I may upload a version that includes a data wipe later today, so check back and try that one if you're still having problems installing. Some recoveries don't wipe data properly.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMOD

reinstalled rodimus with no problem

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
    If you run the SetCPU Long test and the phone doesn't spontaneously reboot during the test, you should be golden.

There's also a chess app that is great for testing your CPU when you set on Computer vs. Computer mode (DroidFish Chess).
    That's not true. It can take hours for an instability to creep up and it doesn't have to result in a reboot. It might just corrupt your files.. I would recommend running the stress test from setcpu for at least 20-30 and see if it reports any errors. That would be a good start to see if your clock speed of choice is stable for your hardware.

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

How do I remove the Virgin Mobile sound when it boots? The animation is gone but it still as the sound.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

reinstalled rodimus with no problem
    Ok, great, but that doesn't tell me anything. Please see my original response to your post and answer the questions I asked so I can try to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarz View Post
    That's not true. It can take hours for an instability to creep up and it doesn't have to result in a reboot. It might just corrupt your files.. I would recommend running the stress test from setcpu for at least 20-30 and see if it reports any errors. That would be a good start to see if your clock speed of choice is stable for your hardware.
    Yeah, I guess I'm being more forgiving that I should. The CPU instability depends on temp as well, so the longer you stress it the higher the temp will get which will show instabilities not present at lower temps. But for me, I've found that if the CPU is going to be unstable, it's going to crash pretty quickly under load. For example, setting mine to 824 in SetCPU is fine if there is no load. Simply starting any of the tests crashes almost instantly. However, 806 is perfectly stable for me and I simply can't get it to show any errors no matter how long I stress it. This whole thing might be more "iffy" if the frequency steps were finer-grained, but they're staged pretty well I think.

The SetCPU Stress test for 20-30 seconds is a good start, and if there are no errors reported I would suggest doing it for at least 2-3 minutes to let the temp build up some. If there are no errors after 2-3 minutes, I wouldn't worry about that frequency setting.

Quote Originally Posted by drezliok View Post
    How do I remove the Virgin Mobile sound when it boots? The animation is gone but it still as the sound.
    That's handled in init.rc which I edited to remove the sound. Do this. Plug in your phone, run "adb shell" and then "grep playmp3 /init.rc" and it should look like this:
    Code:
    > adb shell
    # grep playmp3 /init.rc
    # service bootsound /system/bin/playmp3
    #
    Note that the line with "service..." starts with a "#", which comments it out. If yours doesn't have a "#" on that line, your init.rc didn't get installed properly, which means something didn't go right with the kernel install. Try re-installing just the kernel update zip and it should work. Note that you can't just edit /init.rc and push it to your phone, since it gets re-written on every boot from the installed kernel boot image.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

Wifi broke, I don't think its the rom. I used Titanium backup to put all my settings back. Jumped ship for now, I will test more later but for now I put my backup of rodimus back on. Found out I have too much to do today to be testing.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Wifi broke, I don't think its the rom. I used Titanium backup to put all my settings back. Jumped ship for now, I will test more later but for now I put my backup of rodimus back on. Found out I have too much to do today to be testing.
    Yeah, if you do a full TB restore, it restores data that should have been wiped when you wiped data.

Compiled-in support for ext2/3/4. Works great with Links2SD

Can someone tell me more or less what ext2/3/4 advantage is? Also Links2SD, and how to install the rom with ext2/3/4, ive seen the option in recovery but never tried it. I'm goin with the obvious choice of sd card loading quicker and more memory, but just wonderin if this is different from rodimus rom.

I'm going to try this out!!

I do like themes, could I apply Rodimus's Black and Blue theme to this Rom?
    Wondering if you ever tried this yet
    Total homewrecker.

ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

The issue for me was using Xionia CWMA recovery for this particular ROM. While Aphrodite, Rodimus, and aosp installed fine with it fine multiple times in the past, the two recoveries I've recently used to successfully install Bumblebee were Thunderc and the newest Clockwork.

All my installs were completely full wipes including dalvik and battery stat wipes.

It's not exactly to say we had the same issues, but I'm simply reporting my experience with it.

-K

Quote Originally Posted by Kiernon View Post
    The issue for me was using Xionia CWMA recovery for this particular ROM. While Aphrodite, Rodimus, and aosp installed fine with it fine multiple times in the past, the two recoveries I've recently used to successfully install Bumblebee were Thunderc and the newest Clockwork.

All my installs were completely full wipes including dalvik and battery stat wipes.

It's not exactly to say we had the same issues, but I'm simply reporting my experience with it.

-K
    Ah I use xinonia recovery too, guess ill pass.

Total homewrecker.

ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

Quote Originally Posted by vee View Post

Don't let a little issue of swapping recoveries stop ya.

It's actually a fairly solid ROM for me, but I think I enjoy a more minimalist approach (Probably why I adore Aphrodite so much.)

Otherwise seems fairly solid (when flashed with the proper recovery ), and others should really give it a shot. I still maintain it has the best version of App Market *ever*.

Also: This experiment has been a great reminder for a beginner, such as myself, to use the suggested recoveries ROM authors want us to use. It's an obvious lesson that can sometimes be forgotten in steps when ROM hopping for people new to this whole deal.

-K
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Quote Originally Posted by vee View Post

I use xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin myself and have had no problems. I'm currently looking into doing a custom recovery with the new kernel, but that is on the back burner (maybe in a week or two).

Any recovery problems are probably related to how the recovery is actually wiping, possibly trying to wipe a different block device for data or cache than is correct for the V (just a guess). I may also post a "full_wipe.zip" that only wipes, but makes sure everything is correctly wiped. Add something else to the TODO.

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes to Often

Does the kernel not support init.d scripts? I have been trying to get Data2ext to work. After installing a few needed binaries (e2fsck, mke2fs, tune2fs, and libs), I think the script is not being run when booting up.

/system/etc/init.d/40data2ext
    Last edited by Takenover83; 04-22-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    SugarSync (5GB Cloud) Referral Link. - We each get 500MB extra.
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Quote Originally Posted by Takenover83 View Post
    Does the kernel not support init.d scripts? I have been trying to get Data2ext to work. After installing a few needed binaries (e2fsck, mke2fs, tune2fs, and libs), I think the script is not being run when booting up.

/system/etc/init.d/40data2ext
    Actually, this is pretty easy to implement (a couple of edits to the init.rc file). Unfortunately for you, that has to be done as part of a kernel+ramdisk flash, since init.rc gets re-written from boot.img on every boot. But I will add this in the next update.

I'm about to leave for some badly needed Easter Vacation and may not be able to post the update until Tuesday. Until then, why don't you give Links2SD a try? It works flawlessly for me. I'll have my V with me, so I can respond to questions in this thread, but won't be able to get any work done until I get back.

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes to Often

I have tried Links2SD. Great app. But would love to get the script working, as I am sure a few others would also. Have a great Easter! I look forward to the update (whenever that may be).
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.

ROM
    aospCMOD Android 2.3.4

Why doesn't anyone try making a ROM using android 2.3.3?

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes to Often

Quote Originally Posted by MrMACHOMAN86 View Post
    Why doesn't anyone try making a ROM using android 2.3.3?
    There are two. People like 2.2.1 because everything works.

Zefie's CM7
    aospCMod
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast