ARCHIVED: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am using 1.18 fine now. Was 1.19 just fixing issues from people going to 18 or are there other fixes/benefits to go to 19?

If you flashed the framework that was posted with 18 you have all the newest features. With 19, I figured out how to include the framework changes in the ROM itself instead of having to flash the new framework separately. One of the changes that enabled this was resigning all the system apps. This makes everything work nice together, and will allow me to enable some hidden settings (like the Hotspot settings, which I've enabled with an app for now) much easier. Look for these in the next update. If you did flash the framework on top of 18, you can wait until the next update.

The previous poster that mentioned having an issue upgrading Gmail is probably related to this resigning (still checking for sure). Basically, in order to allow someone to flash the ROM then flash the gapps while still in recovery before booting the first time after a wipe, all the apps in /system/app have to be signed with the same key. But if you're upgrading, those apps will have a different key than expected, so to upgrade the app you may have to uninstall then reinstall the app if it gives you an invalid signature error. Some setups will work, some will have the problem, depending on if you used the gapps zip or installed from the market or flashed as a non-wipe upgrade, or, or, or... I don't like problems, so since those gapps are available on the market, and the V is a US-only model where market access isn't an issue, I may just remove the gapps install altogether so this won't be a problem for anyone else. If anyone else does report the problem, I'm sure I'll edit the first post to remove those and just let those who need them to install them

Reactions: java007

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is the process for cooking up a new titlebar in the UOT kitchen for this ROM? I searched the thread but nothing came up for UOT.

On another note, does anyone else here use Apps Organizer with the BB ROM? I keep getting FC's and non-responsive folders. I'm also using LauncherPro that stops responding when Apps Organizer stops responding.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is the process for cooking up a new titlebar in the UOT kitchen for this ROM? I searched the thread but nothing came up for UOT.

On another note, does anyone else here use Apps Organizer with the BB ROM? I keep getting FC's and non-responsive folders. I'm also using LauncherPro that stops responding when Apps Organizer stops responding.
I copied the Framework file from the phone to the SDcard, moved it to the PC and uploaded that to the UOC kitchen. When I tried to flash the UOC zip it threw an error (status 0). I tried the workaround by moving the ROM's "META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary" file into the UOC zip but it threw a different error.

Any ideas or advice from people who have successfully done this?

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I created a black status bar with a battery percentage indicator for this rom. Just boot into recovery (wipe the cache and dalvik to be safe), flash the zip, and reboot (it might take a few minutes)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19675089/blackBB.zip

If you're performing a fresh install, you can flash this in place of update_bb_framework_1.3.zip, but it won't hurt anything if you do it after.
So, how exactly were you able to successfully use the UOC kitchen with this ROM? I keep getting "Status 0" errors.

EDIT: Nevermind, I used ROMtools this time and that worked great :)

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll update them for the next release.

In addition to the Soundback/Talkback/Kickback trio of apps to update to latest in your next release (already done in 1.19? Or, going to happen in 1.20?), you may want to update Google Search (updated in latest LG Phoenix that I have, as well as in Market).

Great ROM with AMAZING battery life.

Only issue I am having is connecting via BT to my Nook Color (it pairs, but fails to connect). Anxiously waiting BT DUN/PAN on this ROM.

Thanks again.

One more thing: Any chance you would be willing to point me in the right direction (links? tutorial? kitchen?) to get started with ROM building for an LG Phoenix (the newly released ATT version of the Optimus One, and now my primary phone)? I think I want to take your approach to ROM building (i.e., work from stock, and modded kernel, and build out incremental improvements from there, all in pursuit of great battery life). Thanks for any help/thoughts.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the Soundback/Talkback/Kickback trio of apps to update to latest in your next release (already done in 1.19? Or, going to happen in 1.20?), you may want to update Google Search (updated in latest LG Phoenix that I have, as well as in Market).

Great ROM with AMAZING battery life.

The sound/talk/kickback stuff might not be upgradeable. I've looked at it a little bit, and they appear to be modded by LG (but I may be wrong). I'll see if I can replace them with newer updates from the market while retaining the LG modifications, if any. I guess we'll see how it goes.

As for Google Search, in the next update I will probably be removing any Google apps that can be downloaded from the market. There are only a couple left (Google Search, Voice Search, and Google Talk).

Only issue I am having is connecting via BT to my Nook Color (it pairs, but fails to connect). Anxiously waiting BT DUN/PAN on this ROM.

BT DUN is built into the kernel. There are some hidden settings that I will enable in the next release. This will probably be one of them.

Thanks again.

One more thing: Any chance you would be willing to point me in the right direction (links? tutorial? kitchen?) to get started with ROM building for an LG Phoenix (the newly released ATT version of the Optimus One, and now my primary phone)? I think I want to take your approach to ROM building (i.e., work from stock, and modded kernel, and build out incremental improvements from there, all in pursuit of great battery life). Thanks for any help/thoughts.

Start with the kernel. Don't try to build it on anything but linux, even if you have to use VirtualBox to do it. Once you get the kernel compiled, you'll need to build a boot.img with ramdisk. The best way to do this is to unpack an existing boot.img and extract the ramdisk. Read this. However, don't use the script on the page to split the img, use unpackbootimg (you may have to compile it, but it's really simple) because it will give you the base as well as command-line arguments you need to rebuild the boot.img. Once you get that part done, you can flash the boot.img, make sure it works, tweak it, fix bugs, etc. Then put it in an update zip. Here you'll get to learn about edify scripting to flash the zip, see here.

So, once you get the kernel going, and you've got a working boot.img and kernel update zip, you can expand on the kernel update zip to include the entire ROM. Again, it's best to start with an existing system. If you've got access to a nandroid backup of a rooted stock system, you can use unyaffs2 to extract the system.img. If the apk's and /system/framework are odexed, you'll need to deodex them. See this for info on how to do it. Make sure you can put it all in an update zip and get it installed and working before you do any further system mods. If you modify framework-res.apk, you'll need to resign it as well as every app in /system/app or the phone won't boot.

Yep, lots of learning to do. But I just saved you, like, literally days of searching. :)

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Why can't I reboot into recovery using terminal emulator by typing "reboot recovery" using this rom?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Because executing the "reboot" command from a terminal doesn't properly shut down the system, so it's not accessible via terminal. It's an immediate shut-down. Doing it that way is like shutting down the system with a battery pull. There's a "recovery" option from the power dialog, when you long-press the power button. Doing it that way will properly shut down the system and automatically reboot into recovery.

sk8dayfuknight

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Obviously this isn't aosp..... I'm just stating the fact that I can't reboot or reboot into recovery using terminal with this rom and wondering why. As I was able to aosp...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
As for Google Search, in the next update I will probably be removing any Google apps that can be downloaded from the market. There are only a couple left (Google Search, Voice Search, and Google Talk).

Removing Google Search will break the search button on the phone.Even if you re-install it from the market, it won't work. You either have to make it a flashable zip, or leave it.

I would assume the same will happen with voice and talk.

Removing these won't speed up the phone or give you any more space anyhow.

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Removing Google Search will break the search button on the phone.Even if you re-install it from the market, it won't work.

This is true, however, as with the updated market, he could replace the googlesearchbox.apk with the updated one from the market and rename in /system/app. Same with voice search. But yes, having them removed from /system/app, even if downloaded to /data/app, will break the functionality tied to the hardware buttons.

Google Talk, however, I do not believe is downloadable from the market and shouldn't be removed unless the individual user wishes to do so themselves.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This is true, however, as with the updated market, he could replace the googlesearchbox.apk with the updated one from the market and rename in /system/app. Same with voice search. But yes, having them removed from /system/app, even if downloaded to /data/app, will break the functionality tied to the hardware buttons.

Google Talk, however, I do not believe is downloadable from the market and shouldn't be removed unless the individual user wishes to do so themselves.

Harmonia has it updated already, as did Aphrodite, you just replace it.

I think you can Talk from the market, but it still can present problems. Most Google apps can begotten there if you know how to find them.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Obviously this isn't aosp..... I'm just stating the fact that I can't reboot or reboot into recovery using terminal with this rom and wondering why. As I was able to aosp...

AOSP is a very customized ROM, it's no surprise that it will have features that differ from other ROMs.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Actually, you can. Type "toolbox reboot recovery" at the Terminal prompt and it will do what you want. Which, as I said, is not a safe shutdown, especially is you have an ext partition because the phone is shut down without unmounting it) so you shouldn't do it (it's not safe with aospCMod, or any other ROM either).

The "reboot" terminal command is just a symlink to "toolbox", much like many command-line utilities are symlinks to busybox.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Removing Google Search will break the search button on the phone.Even if you re-install it from the market, it won't work. You either have to make it a flashable zip, or leave it.

I would assume the same will happen with voice and talk.

Removing these won't speed up the phone or give you any more space anyhow.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the search button, thanks for pointing it out before I wasted some time on that. :) The side button is tied to the voice search, I believe. However, I don't think anything is tied to Talk (it's just a messaging app), so I'll test it out and see.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The Bluetooth DUN, does it work "out of the box"? I tried using PDA Net app form the market on a different ROM and it failed to work. If this works with out app on this ROM I am going to migrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz