ARCHIVED: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The Bluetooth DUN, does it work "out of the box"? I tried using PDA Net app form the market on a different ROM and it failed to work. If this works with out app on this ROM I am going to migrate.

BT DUN support is built-in, compiled into the kernel (not a module). I really don't have a way to test the BT DUN support, so if you could give it a shot and let me know how it works, that would be great.

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
is there a fix for the missing character? like when i wanna add a word to my dictionary itll show the word then a square and then say whatever it says when you wanna add the word.

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The sound/talk/kickback stuff might not be upgradeable. I've looked at it a little bit, and they appear to be modded by LG (but I may be wrong). I'll see if I can replace them with newer updates from the market while retaining the LG modifications, if any. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I have updated these with Market download, and then moved updated version from /Data/App to /System/App with RootExplorer (and deleted older versions from /System/App) using Cut/Paste functionality (i.e., Move command). No issues after reboot (didn't even rename them).

As for Google Search, in the next update I will probably be removing any Google apps that can be downloaded from the market. There are only a couple left (Google Search, Voice Search, and Google Talk).

I also updated this one with Market download, and then moved updated version from /Data/App to /System/App with RootExplorer (and deleted older version from /System/App) using Cut/Paste functionality (i.e., Move command). I renamed it to the older version's name, and ran a Fix Permissions (through Rom Manager). No issues after reboot (i.e., the dedicated search key on phone works).

I have no use for Voice (I use Obion app) or Talk (does ANYONE use that on this phone?). So, I delete them using Root Explorer. Am I missing something?

BT DUN is built into the kernel. There are some hidden settings that I will enable in the next release. This will probably be one of them.

Looking forward to seeing BT DUN enabled in next release. Will you be enabling just DUN, or will you also be enabling BT PAN? I prefer DUN (dedicated IP address); others (esp in the Nook Color arena) prefer PAN.

Start with the kernel. Don't try to build it on anything but linux, even if you have to use VirtualBox to do it. Once you get the kernel compiled, you'll need to build a boot.img with ramdisk. The best way to do this is to unpack an existing boot.img and extract the ramdisk. Read this. However, don't use the script on the page to split the img, use unpackbootimg (you may have to compile it, but it's really simple) because it will give you the base as well as command-line arguments you need to rebuild the boot.img. Once you get that part done, you can flash the boot.img, make sure it works, tweak it, fix bugs, etc. Then put it in an update zip. Here you'll get to learn about edify scripting to flash the zip, see here.

So, once you get the kernel going, and you've got a working boot.img and kernel update zip, you can expand on the kernel update zip to include the entire ROM. Again, it's best to start with an existing system. If you've got access to a nandroid backup of a rooted stock system, you can use unyaffs2 to extract the system.img. If the apk's and /system/framework are odexed, you'll need to deodex them. See this for info on how to do it. Make sure you can put it all in an update zip and get it installed and working before you do any further system mods. If you modify framework-res.apk, you'll need to resign it as well as every app in /system/app or the phone won't boot.

Yep, lots of learning to do. But I just saved you, like, literally days of searching. :)

WOW. And, thank you. Yes, you are right, though you probably underestimate what you saved me in search time. What you outline above looks more like it would have taken me weeks of searching to find. :) Thanks again for your help. And, of course, for a great ROM.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
BT DUN support is built-in, compiled into the kernel (not a module). I really don't have a way to test the BT DUN support, so if you could give it a shot and let me know how it works, that would be great.

I will be happy to test it. I will have to wait till next week though.

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
left phone unplugged and idle for 8 hours and battery didn't go down 1%. other roms would have gone down 10-20%. this is awesome battery life!

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
left phone unplugged and idle for 8 hours and battery didn't go down 1%. other roms would have gone down 10-20%. this is awesome battery life!
It has nothing to do with the ROM, it is a reporting error. Do you really think it would only use 1% of battery for 8 hours?

Actually, mine did that on Rodimus but seems to report correctly on Bumblebee ROM.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
is there a fix for the missing character? like when i wanna add a word to my dictionary itll show the word then a square and then say whatever it says when you wanna add the word.

In the first post the attachement at the bottom has the font, fallback font which is easy to install. It's huge (something like 3 or 4MB so I removed it. It's mainly for cjk characters, but Android "falls back" on that font when it encounters any character not in the standard fontset (usually cjk, but sometimes other unicode characters) I've gotten the size of the ROM way down from a couple of weeks ago, so I may go ahead and put it back in with the next update since several people are apparently want it.

It sounds like you may need to erase batterystats.bin (an option in recovery) especially if you had CM7 installed at some point. I believe the total battery life when in airplane-mode-idle is a bit over 300 hours, so it should be closer to 1% every 3 hours in that mode. On the other hand, li-ion batteries have a very flat voltage drop the first several hours, so only a 1% drop in voltage may in fact be reported after the first 8 hours in airplane-mode-idle. That said, I'm not sure exactly how the battery percentage is calculated. Everyone seems to report that no matter what ROM they're using it stays at 100% for quite a while, which leads me to believe it is mainly voltage-based.

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
so.. i took my sd card and my phone flipped ****. just kept force closing the launcher (stock launcher). im gonna reflash the rom see if that fixes things

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
so after reflashing i was using my phone like normal. rebooted and then BOOM launcher is force closing again.

DISREGARD THIS POST. Learned that Juicedefender was the reason for fcing.

Last edited:

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had problems with LauncherPro and AppsOrganizer being unresponsive for a few minutes. I've backed the overclock to stock speeds, but it keeps doing it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
While playing with this, LauncherPro isn't force closing on me, but the rom seems a bit less stable and definitely lags a bit.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
While playing with this, LauncherPro isn't force closing on me, but the rom seems a bit less stable and definitely lags a bit.

Instability issues and lagging are almost always the result of there not being a complete wipe before installing. Also, any kind of apps2sd can cause problems when the links are deleted in a wipe, but the apps on the sd ext are not.

I'm testing daily, and when I forget to wipe I get instability issues. When I wipe completely, everything is smooth as butter.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I wiped everything from recovery, then I used the wiper zip, then I flashed the ROM. I don't really notice lagginess, but the unresponsive launcher and app organizer is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.