[Rant] About aospCMod for the Optimus V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
There is so much hostility over aospCMod right now, it sickens me. Here's the facts, feel free to disagree with me or call me names all you want. ;)

The dev originally worked on CM7 for the Hero starting with the system image file anyone can get from the Android SDK. Once the gingerbread source code was release by Google, he was able to get it pretty close to fully functional. He then began adding tweaks made to the kernel by zefie, added Cyanogen source, and then began to sync everything with the asop and Cyanogen trees.

A couple of months after this, he took the work he had done on the Hero, and ported it over to the Optimus V. It took a couple of months for him to figure out VM's arcane MMS methods, and to date is the only dev working on the OV that has MMS working on Gingerbread. He has also continued to add features from the CyanogenMod7 team, with their blessing, making aospCM7 the ROM with the most features and extras.

About a month ago, he attempted to create a download method that would streamline the process of installing aospCM7 on the Optimus V, since many users had requested a simpler method. Unfortunately, this didn't work out too well due to manifests not being written correctly. He has since stated he will offer a mirror for future updates since so many had trouble with ROM Manager.

Throughout all of this, aosp never once has posted a negative remark to anyone, even though many have said bad things about him and his work, accusing him of attempting to grab money via the ROM Manager premium service, even though he gets not one penny from ROM Manager, that is all Koush's. The only things he has posted in the past few months are updates, and thanks for the bug reports, and he asked that we keep the bug reports coming.

The simple facts are that he has done all this work for free. No one is required to pay for anything to use aospCM7. He also does this in his spare time, having a full time job, and a life that includes time away from his PC.

Instead of all the flames about issues with his ROM, I think everyone should give thanks for his efforts.

Now, call me names, flame me, but please, be appreciative of the hard work done by aosp.

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
There is so much hostility over aospCMod right now, it sickens me. Here's the facts, feel free to disagree with me or call me names all you want. ;)

The dev originally worked on CM7 for the Hero starting with the system image file anyone can get from the Android SDK. Once the gingerbread source code was release by Google, he was able to get it pretty close to fully functional. He then began adding tweaks made to the kernel by zefie, added Cyanogen source, and then began to sync everything with the asop and Cyanogen trees.

A couple of months after this, he took the work he had done on the Hero, and ported it over to the Optimus V. It took a couple of months for him to figure out VM's arcane MMS methods, and to date is the only dev working on the OV that has MMS working on Gingerbread. He has also continued to add features from the CyanogenMod7 team, with their blessing, making aospCM7 the ROM with the most features and extras.

About a month ago, he attempted to create a download method that would streamline the process of installing aospCM7 on the Optimus V, since many users had requested a simpler method. Unfortunately, this didn't work out too well due to manifests not being written correctly. He has since stated he will offer a mirror for future updates since so many had trouble with ROM Manager.

Throughout all of this, aosp never once has posted a negative remark to anyone, even though many have said bad things about him and his work, accusing him of attempting to grab money via the ROM Manager premium service, even though he gets not one penny from ROM Manager, that is all Koush's. The only things he has posted in the past few months are updates, and thanks for the bug reports, and he asked that we keep the bug reports coming.

The simple facts are that he has done all this work for free. No one is required to pay for anything to use aospCM7. He also does this in his spare time, having a full time job, and a life that includes time away from his PC.

Instead of all the flames about issues with his ROM, I think everyone should give thanks for his efforts.

Now, call me names, flame me, but please, be appreciative of the hard work done by aosp.

Nope can't flame you or call you names because I feel the same way. If anything I'm surprised he hasn't said "F it all!" and just walked away hell I know I would have after putting up with all these self entitled internet crybabies making a big stink over dumb things.

Guys if you don't like it then hell go DEV YOUR OWN ROM and see if you can do better! Sitting around and acting like your entitled to something that someone dose for free in their own spare time is not how the world works. These idiots who rant on the forums about a "FREE ROM" don't deserve jack ****.

ASOP, LeslieAnn and all the other devs if you are reading this keep up the good work I appreciated everything you have done for this phone. If it wasn't for you guys I would still be stuck stock with VM crappy stock.

And to all those out there who want to complain go flash you phone back to stock because you don't deserve any of these folks hard work.

Reactions: JerryScript

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have never had any problems the rom. I just got aggravated with the problems with Rom Manager. The rom itself is excellent. I have used it for a while and only switched back to a 2.2 until he can get the rest of the bugs worked out.I understand he has a life, as do all of us. We all try to help when and where we can. I only hope he keeps up the good work and does his best to ignore the negative comments.

Vishwar

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I love this ROM.

I had a little trouble flashing it at first because I stupidly got my recovery from ROM Manager. After i flashed Xionia over that it flashed just fine.

Now I'm rock stable with the 20110601 build, overclocked to 806 Max / 480 Min. I score a 1402 using AnTutu System Benchmark. It's great, keep up the good work!

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
this is so true.

there is no other gingerbread rom for the OV and when they do start coming they wont have the functionality this one has for quite a while.

It's easily one of the best if not THE best rom for the optimus V so far.

helps that its got the AOSP name and Cyanogen name backing it. no other gingerbread rom that can come out will reach this popularity, not in the meantime that it takes for the Motorola Triumph to get here

Last edited:

hyruu

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried it and loved it. Just not enough space and too buggy. But I appreciate his effort. By the way welcome to the Internet since your new.

jralabate

Android Ninja
Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

right on Jerry. I love this rom. It works great. So wut the battery life is not wut everyone thinks it sould be...................get a car charger or a extra battery and shut up. I have a man crush on aosp just like Jerry does cuz all he do is works his ass off to push out updates for us. i love this rom

nascar2428

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow after the trolling shenanigans over on the Bumblebee thread we have to have an Aosp defense thread cmon. The reality is different kinds of kernels and Roms, ideas and SOURCES are good for the community as a whole. I think the true developers are more interested in putting out great kernels and Roms that are as bug free as possible. Not works in progress. People are forgetting that we have a group of developers who exchange ideas and are creating things that certainly have been amazing to me. As you have stated in your many posts the great Asosp is doing this for his own personal use and has graciously allowed the community to join in on his fun. That is fine. However when ever you are dealing with the public, criticism is always part of the game. To have what appears to me to be animosity towards another developer or group of developers is appalling.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
No one has mentioned anything bad about other developers, I have in fact thanked them repeatedly for all their hard work and devotion.

Every ROM for the Optimus V is a WIP, with the exception of those the devs have abandoned.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
With my OV I haven't been on froyo since my last phone. After coming from the intercept, surprisingly I flashed Xionia CM7 about an hour after taking the optimus out of the box. When Xionia was discontinued I switched to AOSPCMod. I didn't really like that a few of the CM related brandings were swapped out for the more generic android, but there are workarounds for the wallpapers and boot animations.

I'm really impressed that the bug fixes in this ROM were rapid. Good work with that.

Honest Feedback, I'd ask for CM source synced updates even if it means a chance of more bugs. I'm all about cutting-edge alpha versions.
Also the ROM source code would be great for developers learning how to build from source, but I do know about the GPL and AOSP not wanting to release it because it could get kanged or whatever it is.

So Anyway, In conclusion thanks to AOSP, dburg, and cyanogen for creating CM and bringing it to the OV.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
LOL I have heard only a couple people truely say anything negative about aosp. I made a comment on bumblebee about how other roms work better than aosp and I get called a troll, it was on the bumblebee thread! I was giving props to the dev, I think someone going on to other threads just to police them for any critisism on aosp is more of a troll than anyone. People have opinions, and my opinion is that aosp has less to offer me than the wonderful 2.2 roms, and its ok for me to say that. I'm not being a "troll" I thought aosp was fantastic, until I tried bumblebee and reborn, they out performed aosp for me in about every aspect, once again its ok for me to say this, I'm not being offensive, I'm not even being negative, I also like the other roms better because if there is an issue with them the devs are really good at aknowlaging them . Mad props to all of you devs and users I have gotten and given a lot of help on here and that's what these threads are awesome for.

PS. I think Jerry is the official leader of the aosp fan club... in a border line creepy.way

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This is why you were called a troll:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/1030880-post670.html

In case you edit it:
Re: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/11/2011) #670

Guess that's what you consider "Mad props to all of you devs...."

All I was saying was bumblebee runs near flawlessly due to the work put it, aosp has some flaws, and I know aosp is quite a bit more difficult to developed, but its far more incomplete than bumblebee, and if obijohn didn't fine tune everything as well as he did, bumblebee would have numerous flaws too. Plus I knew you would be roaming the thread, and it cracks me up to see you get so worked up over your precious aosp, but I never mean to offend the people who actually put work in the roms, if you look up all my posts, I'm pretty supportive and respectful, but if calling me a troll makes you feel better, be my guest, you can even call me a gnome or a hobbit or whatever other mythological being you like, I'm not going to stop speaking my opinion because it for no reason irks the super fanboy of aosp

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Whatever, there is absolutely no way you can say that was a "supportive and respectful" post. I was in the bumblebee thread to learn about it, and asking if it was possible to port a feature to it. I saw several posts being critical of aosp, but none came out and made such a rude statement as you did.

....Plus I knew you would be roaming the thread, and it cracks me up to see you get so worked up over your precious aosp...

Thank you for admitting to trolling! ;)

And lest you think I'm just an aosp fanboy, try reading some more of my posts before making grandiose statemtents, ones such as:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/1018887-post13.html

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to stoop to this, but you guys are making lolcat sad:

sadcat.jpg

We all know that no android rom can live up to iOS. Lets all just agree to that and call it a day ;)

Less jibber jabber. More modding.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Since this thread's so chatty I'll chip in
I can understand why sometimes devs get pissy about lame comments or bug reports which come from someone else's work after reading all the chuff in the aosp threads.
I'm greatful to aosp for the gingerbread port, buggy or not, source or not.
it works better for my personal needs than any froyo-based rom, and without source I'll treat it like any closed-source item I find interesting and :evil: reverse-engineer for the bits I want out of it.
fanboy? no. fan? absolutely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2