New to Optimus V root, got some Qs

r.storm85

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sup guys,
I'm not new to rooting, I have an evo 4g thats been through every flash possible! :)

But I just rooted my wifes optimus V, hoping to get better battery life.
So I rooted her phone, with the gingerbreak.apk, everything went well.
Now I dont wanna jack up her phone, shes fine stock jus wants better battery.
So I installed set cpu, made the screen off profile to 245/245.
Waiting to see how that works, but if it doesnt do much, which rom and kernel is the most stable here. I dont need a superfast kernel, just battery sippin u know.

Also I havent flashed a recovery yet.
I was leaning towards zefies CWMA, since it works with edify and amend scripts. But it kinda through me that the recovery comes with a kernel? Is that a seperate kernel jus for recovery or is it for the phone or both??! I dont know what that means

Also is gingerbreak full root, like I can flash wutever I want right?

The evo recoveries never mention kernels.
So can yall help me out?! :)
Thanks in advance

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
  • You can't actually under/overclock until you install a custom kernel. SetCPU will do nothing until you do that.
  • Underclocking causes more battery to be used, not less. The suggested clock speeds are 480-600 MHz for the min and 700-825 MHz for the max. That will increase your battery life.
  • Install a recovery before you do anything else otherwise you won't be ably to "recover".
  • Recoveries don't come with kernels.
  • Roms come with kernels.
  • You can change the kernel after flashing a new rom, but that is not necessary most of the time.
If you are only interested in changing the clock speed, flash the recovery you mentioned, and then flash one of the kernels liked to in the Reference Guide at the top of the forum. Once you have a recovery, make sure to backup your setup so you can revert back if anything goes wrong.

Reactions: alexdunlop

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
ive heard that that will actually kill your battery faster to lower the processor to a level like that. i feel like when i switched to like 787/787 i got better life outta my battery.

r.storm85

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. From what you guys are saying, it is basically the same as the evo, which I thought it would be, guess maybe the wording is different and got me confused...thanks again :)

Sent from my PC36100