Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Default Re: Building your own ROM

Alright well thanks to blarf, kemicalElite, jerryscript and decad3nce I was able to successfully able to make a build. I kept getting the error of something like make error the make file is used by a different version when I tried to lunch.
    What happened and what was wrong. Basically to sum it up. I had android open source, as well as cyanogens and blarfs source all on my computer.
    How I fixed it. I just deleted all source folders and did a reinit of only blarfs source. Problem solved. Question is now if I make a theme or want to try to make my own changes how do I do that without it being deleted on my next repo sync? If you answer please explain it like I'm slow
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

ROM
    InferiorHumanOrgans CM7.1

Quote Originally Posted by asadullah View Post
    Alright well thanks to blarf, kemicalElite, jerryscript and decad3nce I was able to successfully able to make a build. I kept getting the error of something like make error the make file is used by a different version when I tried to lunch.
    What happened and what was wrong. Basically to sum it up. I had android open source, as well as cyanogens and blarfs source all on my computer.
    How I fixed it. I just deleted all source folders and did a reinit of only blarfs source. Problem solved. Question is now if I make a theme or want to try to make my own changes how do I do that without it being deleted on my next repo sync? If you answer please explain it like I'm slow
    Unsaved changes (potentially commits too) will be preserved AFAIK. If you're really nervous you can do git diff on a single repository or repo diff for the whole thing. Or if you plan a lot of really intrusive changes (or plan to publicly distribute your changes, etc) you can fork whatever repository (repo fork? take a look at the repo documentation, I'm lazy and haven't read it).

Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Unsaved changes (potentially commits too) will be preserved AFAIK. If you're really nervous you can do git diff on a single repository or repo diff for the whole thing. Or if you plan a lot of really intrusive changes (or plan to publicly distribute your changes, etc) you can fork whatever repository (repo fork? take a look at the repo documentation, I'm lazy and haven't read it).
    Git commands are like chinese to me I think that if I make any changes that would be good to the community I'll just figure it out then. I've been scouring the interwebs getting miui like icons and made a theme cuz the stock is well green ( I only like to see that when someone angers the hulk) I'll post it when I'm done. If you want to add it to the source. Cool.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Git is a pita to learn, but I'm not giving up on it. In order to insure clean builds for now, I only use repo and sync inferiorhumanorgans. Blarf has been so fast at fixing things, and I've been so busy at work, I really have only had time to compile nightlies and try to do some testing of the install before posting. I keep any changes I make in my own test builds (not posted ones) in seperate folders, and manually sync them, though with Blarf's speed at fixing things, I've mostly just been deleting them!

Blarf is getting close to a point with his work where he may want to begin to call it a beta. At that point, I will continue posting nightlies (should have my process for his repo automated by then), and any significant change that would +.1 his beta I would link to seperately. This way, those of us who like to can bug test the nightlies, and those who want stability can use the beta.

Looking forward to seeing your theme asadullah, and I hope to see you create a ROM, as if you haven't made enough ROMs already.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    Git is a pita to learn, but I'm not giving up on it. In order to insure clean builds for now, I only use repo and sync inferiorhumanorgans. Blarf has been so fast at fixing things, and I've been so busy at work, I really have only had time to compile nightlies and try to do some testing of the install before posting. I keep any changes I make in my own test builds (not posted ones) in seperate folders, and manually sync them, though with Blarf's speed at fixing things, I've mostly just been deleting them!

Blarf is getting close to a point with his work where he may want to begin to call it a beta. At that point, I will continue posting nightlies (should have my process for his repo automated by then), and any significant change that would +.1 his beta I would link to seperately. This way, those of us who like to can bug test the nightlies, and those who want stability can use the beta.

Looking forward to seeing your theme asadullah, and I hope to see you create a ROM, as if you haven't made enough ROMs already.
    I'm done with roms I'm starting to feel like motorola I put out something with potential and then get distracted by something else. I think I'll just try and help others if they want it. That way the roms around here just keep getting better instead of fragmented.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Just to add to the info about the issue asadullah was having. When you run the make command, all android make files in that directory structure are searched for. So if you have other source files in the same directory tree, you will get errors like asadullah mentioned. It's a small problem with using globals instead of hardcoded references, but it also forces you to keep a well organized build environment, which is not a bad thing.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

ROM

Git commands are like chinese to me I think that if I make any changes that would be good to the community I'll just figure it out then. I've been scouring the interwebs getting miui like icons and made a theme cuz the stock is well green ( I only like to see that when someone angers the hulk) I'll post it when I'm done. If you want to add it to the source. Cool.
    Git is a pain to use. It was designed for the people who wrote it to use it, it was not designed for other people to use. Github takes some of the sting out of it, but not all. Gerrit (the code review thing that CyanogenMod uses) is atrocious.

The first time I tried to compile this it worked perfectly. The rom is running on my phone now. Suddenly I'm getting this error.
    find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
    Then it will start to complie and end with this.
    frameworks/base/tools/layoutlib/bridge/src/com/android/layoutlib/bridge/BridgeRenderSession.java:85: method does not override or implement a method from a supertype
    @Override
    ^
    frameworks/base/tools/layoutlib/bridge/src/com/android/layoutlib/bridge/BridgeRenderSession.java:94: method does not override or implement a method from a supertype
    @Override
    ^
    Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    2 errors
    make: *** [out/host/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/layoutlib_intermediates/javalib.jar] Error 41
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help.
    Device: Optimus V
    Rom: I.H.O CM7.2

ROM
    CM9 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by jack454 View Post
    The first time I tried to compile this it worked perfectly. The rom is running on my phone now. Suddenly I'm getting this error.

Then it will start to complie and end with this.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help.
    I believe blarf (who maintains the repo fork where the android source is downloaded from) needs to pull in upstream changes from the CM repo (where the cyanogenmod source is hosted) to fix compiling CM7 correctly.
    This normally gets updated when blarf changes the kernel. This is normally synced during night hours.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by KemikalElite View Post
    I believe blarf (who maintains the repo fork where the android source is downloaded from) needs to pull in upstream changes from the CM repo (where the cyanogenmod source is hosted) to fix compiling CM7 correctly.
    This normally gets updated when blarf changes the kernel. This is normally synced during night hours.

Ok thanks. I'll try again tomorrow after I sync tonight.
    Device: Optimus V
    Rom: I.H.O CM7.2

Anyway I can talk blarfie or jerryscript into removing the initlogo.rle from android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files. It's the extra lg that you see that wasn't on the phone till cm7.

ROM
    CM9 KANG

Anyway I can talk blarfie or jerryscript into removing the initlogo.rle from android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files. It's the extra lg that you see that wasn't on the phone till cm7.
    Isn't that just there because we took out that annoying virgin mobile boot animation? Most of us are used to seeing the second logo. It reminds me of the ignition stages.

I remember a Samsung Captivate ROM that would speak the loading stages in a boot sound after flashing. I'll have to look for it.

Isn't that just there because we took out that annoying virgin mobile boot animation? Most of us are used to seeing the second logo. It reminds me of the ignition stages.

I remember a Samsung Captivate ROM that would speak the loading stages in a boot sound after flashing. I'll have to look for it.

No it's not part of anything it was added to the source by aosp it's in the source it's location is /android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files/initlogo.rle it's a quick fix. If you open up your original ramdisk using splitbootimg.pl it's not in there just the other files. If you remove the virgin mobile bootanimations all you'll see is the lg sign once and the stock android bootanimation (glowing words android).

ROM
    CM9 KANG

No it's not part of anything it was added to the source by aosp it's in the source it's location is /android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files/initlogo.rle it's a quick fix. If you open up your original ramdisk using splitbootimg.pl it's not in there just the other files. If you remove the virgin mobile bootanimations all you'll see is the lg sign once and the stock android bootanimation (glowing words android).
    Or we could replace that second lg logo with something more useful. Like a custom logo or software version, etc.

And the boot sound from the Captivate I was talking about was the voodoo kernel. It seems like an interesting feature.

Or we could replace that second lg logo with something more useful. Like a custom logo or software version, etc.

And the boot sound from the Captivate I was talking about was the voodoo kernel. It seems like an interesting feature.

It's a B!t*h making an rle just saying. But adding a PowerOn.mp3 (boot sound) to /system/sound/audio i think it is isn't hard.
    Almost forgot created my github account. Not making any roms just gonna try make patches and help fix some of the smaller problems and run them by blarf to see if he's cool with them.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

It's a B!t*h making an rle just saying. But adding a PowerOn.mp3 (boot sound) to /system/sound/audio i think it is isn't hard.
    Almost forgot created my github account. Not making any roms just gonna try make patches and help fix some of the smaller problems and run them by blarf to see if he's cool with them.
    I posted about this in the official thread. I ran across a script that has the command to play a boot sound during the boot animation. Its not working in the backside rom but it was working on ath3nos rom. Heres a link to the thread.

Boot sounds

ETA:Update figure out the problem with it not playing it was commented in to the build.prop multiple times.

I have the script in my drop box but sometimes it errors out and what not. Lemme know if it does and Ill try to get it working right.
    Last edited by Eollie; 07-27-2011 at 09:13 AM.

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

noob post edited to preserve my reputation
    Last edited by Whyzor; 08-17-2011 at 12:43 AM.

ROM
    CM9/10

At the start of a VM670 build, I got the following:
    Code:
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
    No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE thunderc
    The "Makefile:21" looks like these files are not being copied over correctly.
    The "base_rules.mk:479" looks like there is a problem with that module.
    Does anyone else get these warnings?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by BobZhome View Post
    At the start of a VM670 build, I got the following:
    Code:
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
    build/core/Makefile:21: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
    No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE thunderc
    The "Makefile:21" looks like these files are not being copied over correctly.
    The "base_rules.mk:479" looks like there is a problem with that module.
    Does anyone else get these warnings?
    Ignore them unless you want to add proper tunables to the CM build system. If you value your sanity I'd recommend the former.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM9/10

Thanks for the feed back...It's just that those are some important files. The warnings seem to indicate the they will not be used...how is it that they still make it to the phone?

All right do it your selfers so I been working pretty tough on two themes miui and a sense theme. Since I'm working from source I decided to get this as realistic as possible because the theme engine can only do so much (can't even change the lockscreen ) anyways I wanted to add the icon for the video camera back and it was pretty simple.
    Navigate to ~/android/system/packages/app/camera/androidmanifest.xml
    open it up with geany or text editor

then add this change this
    Code:
    <intent-filter>
                    <action android:name="android.media.action.VIDEO_CAMERA" />
                    <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />           
     </intent-filter>
    to this
    Code:
    <intent-filter>
                    <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
     </intent-filter>
    then open up terminal and type
    Code:
     cd ~/android/system
    make -j4 Camera
    add it to your favorite zip file and flash away now you got an icon for video camera as well as the regular camera in your app drawer
    Thanked by 2:
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by BobZhome View Post
    Thanks for the feed back...It's just that those are some important files. The warnings seem to indicate the they will not be used...how is it that they still make it to the phone?
    I believe they are in the proprietary blobs Blarf added to the repository a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of changes to CM7 tonite, everyone might want to resync with Blarf's repo!
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

All right do it your selfers so I been working pretty tough on two themes miui and a sense theme. Since I'm working from source I decided to get this as realistic as possible because the theme engine can only do so much (can't even change the lockscreen ) anyways I wanted to add the icon for the video camera back and it was pretty simple.
    Navigate to ~/android/system/packages/app/camera/androidmanifest.xml
    open it up with geany or text editor

then add this change this
    Code:
    <intent-filter>
     </intent-filter>
    to this
    Code:
    <intent-filter>
                    <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
     </intent-filter>
    then open up terminal and type
    Code:
     cd ~/android/system
    make -j4 Camera
    add it to your favorite zip file and flash away now you got an icon for video camera as well as the regular camera in your app drawer
    You should submit this.
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

ROM

Okay I took the OP of this thread and shoved it in the Wiki here:

Please feel free to add any missing information or correct any errors.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    IHO CM7.1

thanks to blarf/jerryscript's initial posts, I successfully compiled a fresh checkout of the repo on arch linux. only thing I might add is the following, which may be specific to arch linux (x64):

in the last couple of lines in build/envsetup.sh... it uses setopt nullglob which doesn't work in my bash (quick googling seems to show that it's a zsh thing?). so i deleted those lines and added
    . vendor/cyanogen/vendorsetup.sh
    . device/lge/thunderc/vendorsetup.sh

after that i found i also needed 32 bit build environment after getting incompatible libgcc errors. for arch, you can follow the instructions at to get the packages necessary.

with those two fixes i was able to build update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast