Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Default Re: Building your own ROM

OK, so several forum members have now successfully built a working ROM from the IHO repository. So you may be asking yourself, what do I do with all these files, how do I customize it, how do I make the changes I want to make? Here's a good video tutorial by TechTV that can help you get to the next level in building your own ROM.

Thanks Jerry! A week ago I never even touched Linux before, but your instructions on the third post of this thread walked me through building my own rom, I like simplified instructions, I'm pretty new to any of this still.

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

Jerry, can you update the 3rd post? It seems like there are some outdated/contradicting info. use '-b gingerbread' or not? There are a lot of good details there that are lacking in the current wiki page to help someone new to build. Or could clean it up a bit and just add it to the wiki too. I'm itching to build my own ROM now, but would like to get a clearer understanding of the steps first.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

I'm attempting to build this on a freshly installed Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 system, 15 minutes into 'make bacon', my last line is:

make: *** [out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates/noproguard.classes-with-local.dex] Killed

Anyone know what this is? I followed Jerry's post #3 & added all of the components after fresh Ubuntu install. Here's more recent lines from the stdout before the killed part:
    Aidl: framework <= frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/view/IInputCon - Pastebin.com
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

ROM
    InferiorHumanOrgans CM7.1

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    Jerry, can you update the 3rd post? It seems like there are some outdated/contradicting info. use '-b gingerbread' or not? There are a lot of good details there that are lacking in the current wiki page to help someone new to build. Or could clean it up a bit and just add it to the wiki too. I'm itching to build my own ROM now, but would like to get a clearer understanding of the steps first.
    Yes, do use the gingerbread branch. As for your error it looks like you probably ran out of memory.
    Thanked by:
    Whyzor 
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    I'm attempting to build this on a freshly installed Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 system, 15 minutes into 'make bacon', my last line is:

make: *** [out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates/noproguard.classes-with-local.dex] Killed

Anyone know what this is? I followed Jerry's post #3 & added all of the components after fresh Ubuntu install. Here's more recent lines from the stdout before the killed part:
    Aidl: framework <= frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/view/IInputCon - Pastebin.com
    Did you ever get past this? I had the same error a couple of times recently, and I ended up deleting the entire source tree, including the hidden .repo file, and then doing a fresh repo init and repo sync. Built fine both times I had that error after fresh syncs. I'm not sure why we both get that same error, are you using the default install of Wubi like I am? If so, Blarf is probably right, since it creates a pathetically small space for Ubuntu to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    Did you ever get past this? I had the same error a couple of times recently, and I ended up deleting the entire source tree, including the hidden .repo file, and then doing a fresh repo init and repo sync. Built fine both times I had that error after fresh syncs. I'm not sure why we both get that same error, are you using the default install of Wubi like I am? If so, Blarf is probably right, since it creates a pathetically small space for Ubuntu to run it.
    I have been getting the same error for a week, I thaugjt it had something to do with me running a 32bit vmware Ubuntu. I thaught I had it fixed when I cleaned up my builds and started completely fresh, but now it freezes up at installing system_network, so I'm guessing something didn't sync right and I will start all over AGAIN. Thanks again for your help jerry

Another brand-noob guy trying out his first build. I tried setting up my arch linux system to do this, but I was running into trouble finding all the packages necessary ( for example I can't find the libsdl1.2-dev package for arch. Are some of them debian (and/or Ubuntu) specific?)

So I switched to my new Mint Debian Edition install and got everything in place that I needed (I think).

When I tried to make my bacon, I got the following, and have no idea how to fix it:

$ make -j2 bacon
    ============================================
    PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
    PLATFORM_VERSION=2.3.5
    TARGET_PRODUCT=full
    TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
    TARGET_SIMULATOR=
    TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
    TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
    TARGET_ARCH=arm
    HOST_ARCH=x86
    HOST_OS=linux
    HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
    BUILD_ID=GINGERBREAD
    ============================================
    Checking build tools versions...
    find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `bacon'. Stop.

Hope it isn't something really obvious (and stupid!)... I wonder if some directory isn't in the right place, or...
    Last edited by wilberfan; 08-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.

I give up. Me and my PC just aren't meant to compile our own rom. Ok I don't give up, but I'm going to take a break. I will try it with debian alater and see if I have any luck
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    Another brand-noob guy trying out his first build. I tried setting up my arch linux system to do this, but I was running into trouble finding all the packages necessary ( for example I can't find the libsdl1.2-dev package for arch. Are some of them debian (and/or Ubuntu) specific?)

So I switched to my new Mint Debian Edition install and got everything in place that I needed (I think).

When I tried to make my bacon, I got the following, and have no idea how to fix it:

Hope it isn't something really obvious (and stupid!)... I wonder if some directory isn't in the right place, or...
    Did you run:
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

ROM
    InferiorHumanOrgans CM7.1

Okay. For my purposes at least, this thread has formally been succeeded by two things:

1.) The wiki entry located here.
    2.) The porting IHO to a different Optimus phone thread on XDA.

Like the official thread dev threads the move to the wiki is designed to encourage people to develop a single reference where usable build instructions can be found instead of spreading it out through a lengthy forum thread. As usual I'd like to request that any significant changes to the wiki be coordinated with Centinel.
    Thanked by:

Did you run:
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch
    Damn. I may have missed a step. [blush] I know I did the . build/envsetup.sh, but I don't remember doing "lunch"!

Sheesh. Noobs, ya know?

I'll try again tonight... Thanks!

ps Is your "2" above shorthand for "make -j2 bacon" ??

Damn. I may have missed a step. [blush] I know I did the . build/envsetup.sh, but I don't remember doing "lunch"!

Sheesh. Noobs, ya know?

I'll try again tonight... Thanks!

ps Is your "2" above shorthand for "make -j2 bacon" ??
    No its 2 for vm670
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pbailey212 View Post
    No its 2 for vm670
    Well, then I definitely skipped that step. Clearly overly excited to get that bacon cookin'!

Well, this won't impress any of you'ze guys, but Yay!

Code:
    Package complete: /home/wilberfan/android/system/out/target/product/thunderc/update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip
    c3d67f7291865c36e5cddf297895e95b  update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

Of course, I haven't tried flashing it yet, but it's still a "yay".
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Welcome to the dark side!
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Well, this won't impress any of you'ze guys, but Yay!

Code:
    Package complete: /home/wilberfan/android/system/out/target/product/thunderc/update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip
    c3d67f7291865c36e5cddf297895e95b  update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

Of course, I haven't tried flashing it yet, but it's still a "yay".
    Congrats!

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

I've been building this for a couple of weeks. Last night I started getting this error when syncing the repo.
    Fetching projects: 91% (184/202) remote: fatal: failed to read object c0f30688df7152202b032f5809b6b52d842ae09f: Invalid argument
    remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
    fatal: protocol error: bad pack header
    error: Cannot fetch platform/sdk
    Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix the problem. Thanks
    Device: Optimus V
    Rom: I.H.O CM7.2

Quote Originally Posted by jack454 View Post
    I've been building this for a couple of weeks. Last night I started getting this error when syncing the repo. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix the problem. Thanks
    I'm getting an error fetching data,

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

There seems to be a problem with main Android repository
    See here

I would not delete the local repository or try to fix. The error is in the main repository and, it seems to me, we can only wait for it to be fixed.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
    There seems to be a problem with main Android repository
    See here

I would not delete the local repository or try to fix. The error is in the main repository and, it seems to me, we can only wait for it to be fixed.
    Ok. Thanks for the info.
    Device: Optimus V
    Rom: I.H.O CM7.2
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Repo is back working now.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:

Welcome to the dark side!

This is a horribly newb question, but how is this ROM I just built different from YOUR latest, for example. I notice mine is, like, 80-something megabytes in size...and yours is more like 60MB ...

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

Yes, the killed msg & other hangs have been solved after I increased the Wubi Ubuntu default swap space from 256 MB to 2 GB. It's an old machine, so only has 1 GB of RAM, AMD64 3200+ single-core CPU. Build took about 3 hours.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

This is a horribly newb question, but how is this ROM I just built different from YOUR latest, for example. I notice mine is, like, 80-something megabytes in size...and yours is more like 60MB ...
    The main differences from a pure IHO build and BACKside are:

changed bootanimation
    changed 2nd boot logo
    removed all wallpapers, themes, and large ringtones
    added bootsound support
    added video camera icon
    replaced LatinIME with an english only version (much smaller)

It's removing the wallpapers, themes, ringtones, and replacing LatinIME that makes my build smaller.
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast