Odd 2.2 build.prop values (need help)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am going through trying to identify some changes on 2.2.2 vs 2.2.1 with the goal of backporting the V5 radio and noticed a few odd lines in the build.prop and I'm wondering if anyone can explain as they may help improve our phones. I can't find anything about them.

These values were found in the Weekend 2.2.2 Rom build prop and are compared to the latest Harmonia build.prop.

ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=
Harmonia Value = 31000 Weekend Value = 311490

The 31000 is all over both build.prop files, but this specific line is different and I wonder if it's a key that may unlock a few new towers or change our data priority compared to Sprint or other VM users.

gsm.sim.operator.numeric=
Harmonia Value= 31000 Weekend Value= 311490

The same applies on this as the one above.

Then there is this line which is repeated twice, seems there is nothing telling what it refers to though.
TTR12199:

Anyone have any ideas?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I found: ServiceState | Android Developers
Code:
3 digit country code plus 2 or 3 digit network code

Seems like it is used for informational purposes within the OS and apps, not for use by the radio. Your PRL would take care of what you are talking about. That is my guess

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Not really, no. The PRL is mainly used to determine which towers to use, not which carriers. Those tunables are hardcoded for the CDMA phones. As I said, the market will identify your phone as being from VMU with 200/053. The MCC/MNC is broadcast over the air by Virgin, but either it's flat out wrong or being misinterpreted somewhere along the line as CMStats sees an MCC of '000'.

Where you will run into trouble is if you change that property and don't change the corresponding APN entry/entries.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Not really, no. The PRL is mainly used to determine which towers to use, not which carriers. Those tunables are hardcoded for the CDMA phones. As I said, the market will identify your phone as being from VMU with 200/053. The MCC/MNC is broadcast over the air by Virgin, but either it's flat out wrong or being misinterpreted somewhere along the line as CMStats sees an MCC of '000'.

Where you will run into trouble is if you change that property and don't change the corresponding APN entry/entries.

I was referring to Lesieann's suggestion that the operator numeric might unlock a few new towers. The PRL is what would do that.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone.
I was mostly curious what they are and trying to be thorough.

The build.prop for the most part is utterly useless anyhow so changing them isn't going to do anything, it's mostly informational. Everything important in it is over-written during boot.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
I was referring to Lesieann's suggestion that the operator numeric might unlock a few new towers. The PRL is what would do that.

Right, but...

The build.prop for the most part is utterly useless anyhow so changing them isn't going to do anything, it's mostly informational. Everything important in it is over-written during boot.

Because CDMA in the states doesn't use SIM cards, if you muck about with gsm.operator.numeric/gsm.sim.operator.numeric you'll need to be sure to keep your list of APNS in sync otherwise you'll end up with non-op MMS.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, that was a mistake, I was in a hurry when I wrote it and was getting ahead of myself. Yes, I know the PRL does that. I was thinking of something else at the time, but it escapes me now.