Drews cm7 tweaks

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is another cm7 rom that works with mmarz sprint to ov trick, I loaded it last night and so far everything works, I get a 40 point higher benchmark then I did with Backside, but Backside seems a little smoother, but its another thing to play around with

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg.../106518-drews-cyanogenmod-hacking-thread.html

you can find mmarz Sprint-ov_ath3nos_signed.zip here, just flash it after you flash drew's update.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...h3noss-unofficial-cm7-gingerbread-7-15-a.html

Thanks Drew for the tweaks
Thanks mmarz for opening the door for the optimus V, your the best!

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
oh neat. i also noticed that there was an optional xionia kernal. should we assume that we should NOT flash that because it was made for the Optimus S?

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
oh neat. i also noticed that there was an optional xionia kernal. should we assume that we should NOT flash that because it was made for the Optimus S?

I'm not sure honestly, when I get home from work tonight I will try it with the sprint to ov trick

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is essentionally the same as Backside.
Its built from the same source and the only difference is the changes to make it a S rom.

Why use a rom not Built for our phone?
Hacking it to work with your phone is what Blarf commented about a while back.
It is easier to just cook it from source then hack and slash around to achieve what backside and kemikal has done.

I could see this being a option if it was built using a different source code but...yeah its Blarfs IHO source. /shrug to each their own.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
While I mostly agree with Eolllie there are actually a few small benefits to using Drews build rather than the standard IHO builds.

The 'power button ends call' function has been disabled entirely (at least until the setting can be restored to work properly so that it's optional instead of forced). Because of that Drew has removed that setting from the settings.apk. I was talking to Drew earlier and I believe he had a few other small changes in mind for the settings.apk (removing non-working settings until they can be fixed).

As far as XioniaRedux is concerned while it is made for the S it's done using the anykernel so there is a chance it could work properly on the V as is (conjecture, I have not tested this). The main upside to Redux over Blarf's default kernel is the smartass governor (should improve battery life). Otherwise Blarf has done a wonderful job sorting out a kernel for the V.

One last note... If you want stability probably be best to use JerryScript and Kemikal's builds, Drew's builds are to be considered experimental as he is making a lot of changes on his own and while everything is being tested before release there is always a chance of an unforeseen error.

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is essentionally the same as Backside.
Its built from the same source and the only difference is the changes to make it a S rom.

Why use a rom not Built for our phone?
Hacking it to work with your phone is what Blarf commented about a while back.
It is easier to just cook it from source then hack and slash around to achieve what backside and kemikal has done.

I could see this being a option if it was built using a different source code but...yeah its Blarfs IHO source. /shrug to each their own.

Because jerrys build isn't smooth enough ath3nos and drews are so much smoother.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Because jerrys build isn't smooth enough ath3nos and drews are so much smoother.

Interesting, I don't have a V and I'm not even going to attempt to hack Jerry's build onto an S but being that the source code is the same for the rom I would expect it's the Kernel differences.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Only two differences afaik between ath3nos and BACKside-IHO:

1) different kernels

2) Green Machine Theme

If you are using the Green Machine Theme, it may not be as smooth due to transparencies used by the theme.

Even with the Green Machine Theme, my phone flies through transitions and scrolling screens. I do increase values for transition speeds and windows animations via settings and the included Spare Parts app.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Here is another cm7 rom that works with mmarz sprint to ov trick, I loaded it last night and so far everything works, I get a 40 point higher benchmark then I did with Backside, but Backside seems a little smoother, but its another thing to play around with[/url]

What's the standard deviation? :)

With Quadrant I easily see 30-50 point differences depending on when I run it.

I've set pretty conservative defaults in the IHO kernel. You can certainly overclock or switch to a more performance oriented governor like interactive if you want a smoother experience. Battery life will take some sort of hit tho.

As far as XioniaRedux is concerned while it is made for the S it's done using the anykernel so there is a chance it could work properly on the V as is (conjecture, I have not tested this). The main upside to Redux over Blarf's default kernel is the smartass governor (should improve battery life). Otherwise Blarf has done a wonderful job sorting out a kernel for the V.

Smartass will improve performance, not battery life. I went with ondemand by default because it works well enough /for me/ and gives great battery life. Smartass should be included with R1 but it's considered experimental until I can figure out how to tune it properly. The way it's set now I'm pretty unhappy with how it's loading up the CPU and keeping the frequency higher than it ought to IMO.

Interesting, I don't have a V and I'm not even going to attempt to hack Jerry's build onto an S but being that the source code is the same for the rom I would expect it's the Kernel differences.

Yup. The kernel makes a /huge/ difference.

Reactions: sblood86

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks Blarf I always learn something from your posts :D

I do feel inclined to point out that my battery life has improved significantly on a smartass governor.
My phone gets horrible battery life in the first place; for two reason. I'm pretty much always roaming and I am always on wifi but it's a definite improvement regardless

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

This just doesnt make sense to me..

Initially Jerry's build was jerky, but that was mainly because it wasnt settled intot he phone yet. Im still getting everything working the way I like. But it seems the biggest difference I see is the ability to install without a hack and slash method like using mmarz convert zip. /shrug to each their own I guess.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Blarf, I'd like to know exactly what leads you to believe that the smartass governor gives better performance and not battery life. I'm not trying to be argumentative I would just like to know your reasoning.

According to the developer:
smartass governor – is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works – by taking over the idle loop – is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the “old” minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 – why?! – it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!

According to that, it gives performance on par with that of the interactive governer, but adds a sleep frequency cap that certainly does save battery.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Blarf, I'd like to know exactly what leads you to believe that the smartass governor gives better performance and not battery life. I'm not trying to be argumentative I would just like to know your reasoning.

The version that I've got is not tuned properly (yet?), but it idles higher and shows higher CPU load than the ondemand governor. Or it did when I was testing out one of the live wallpapers. It was keeping the CPU spun up pretty well compared to ondemand.

I've since done a lot more tweaking (both to SA and to the other parts kernel) and it looks like it's definitely keeping the CPU slower, longer, than interactive. 'Course it's also having a MUCH harder time ramping up the CPU speed (live wallpaper + scrolling thru the apps list is glacial).

Some of it is NIH, some of it is that there appear to have been some bugfixes to SA since Zefie imported it. With the IHO kernel, ondemand is simpler, and I haven't needed to tune it. Smartass /may/ yield improvements, but it will take a lot of work. There's always going to be a tradeoff of battery life and performance, but I'm just not seeing it with SA.

FWIW it's there in the IHO kernel for people to play with (ideally with the tunables).

Edit: now let's see if this new kernel even boots. LOL.

Edit2: No, it does not. >_<

Last edited:

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Only two differences afaik between ath3nos and BACKside-IHO:

1) different kernels

2) Green Machine Theme

If you are using the Green Machine Theme, it may not be as smooth due to transparencies used by the theme.

Even with the Green Machine Theme, my phone flies through transitions and scrolling screens. I do increase values for transition speeds and windows animations via settings and the included Spare Parts app.

I am not using green machine(and i'm sure most other people aren't either, it's just not attractive, sorry.), and it was overclocked, it's just a laggy experience, i'm sorry.

arhtard

Slacker
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting FC's when trying to control the volume from the settings menu.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

i decided to try Drews 2nd release - 002 - and also receive FC's on setting the volume. Using the side keys works with no problems though. This problem was not present during my use of his first release - 001. Not sure what happened.

got a tip from another member:

Wipe everything. Flash the 001 build then flash the 002 over it without flashing...

EDIT: without wiping...

it didn't work this way either, just fyi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool