[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

chadilac462

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this very helpful information. I am new to the whole "rooting" and "hacking" thing and started with my new nook tablet last week and was very successful so i thought i'd give my old phone a try and found some trouble trying to write the codes myself. Being able to do the recovery from a flash.img was much easier. Thanks Again and I look forward to learning more and being able to contribute to the android central community.

Reactions: A-android-B

eafisher1254

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE HELP!! Ive spent the last 2 days scouting the right stuff to do as far as putting the c7 rom on my optimus v. Did everything right (so I thought) Now I cant seem to conect my account to a server (says:unable to open connection to server) then gives me an option to edit details wich does nothing. Does anybody have any suggestionS? I have my contacts,movies,music,everything EXCEPT google play or ANY apps. This is killin me because of how much time Ive invested to go about this the right way

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE HELP!! Ive spent the last 2 days scouting the right stuff to do as far as putting the c7 rom on my optimus v. Did everything right (so I thought) Now I cant seem to conect my account to a server (says:unable to open connection to server) then gives me an option to edit details wich does nothing. Does anybody have any suggestionS? I have my contacts,movies,music,everything EXCEPT google play or ANY apps. This is killin me because of how much time Ive invested to go about this the right way

You skipped a step.
You didn't flash gapps.zip after the rom.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Archer957

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
how long should it take to root your phone? cuz i was attemping to root mine as i was going to sleep (about 7 hrs time for rooting) and it failed.....and is there something you need to do before you install and start rooting with gingerbreak???

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
how long should it take to root your phone? cuz i was attemping to root mine as i was going to sleep (about 7 hrs time for rooting) and it failed.....and is there something you need to do before you install and start rooting with gingerbreak???

Did you enable android debugging? It's under settings-applications-development and has to be enabled for gingerbreak to work

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

androiderikoptimus

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
sooo im really new to rooting and am average when it comes to computers and phones.

if we follow all these steps corrently it will work right?

and also if i just root my phone but wanna put a different operating system than the one provided can i still do that?

i know most of you probably are looking at this and thinking wow, hes stupid, but im just trying to make sure i get this right because if i brick my phone i wont have one for a couple of weeks.

Ryuk6666

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
sooo im really new to rooting and am average when it comes to computers and phones.

if we follow all these steps corrently it will work right?

and also if i just root my phone but wanna put a different operating system than the one provided can i still do that?

i know most of you probably are looking at this and thinking wow, hes stupid, but im just trying to make sure i get this right because if i brick my phone i wont have one for a couple of weeks.

No one here is stupid. Your asking a question. Yes you will be able to. It is easier than it seems. Just follow the guide and you should not brick your phone.

Sent from my Cybertronian QuattrOV using Tapatalk 2000 (Now With Teleka-Typing!!!!)

cmichael258

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Forgive this total noob...once I install the Gingerbreak 1.2 on my SD card, and install file mananger...how do I run the app? Which file do I select to run?

GingerBreak-v1201.png

beidmann

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
So I am using the recovery v 4.0.1.5 that was provided in this thread. I've had no problem until now, but I cannot back up the boot image. It says error while backing up boot image! Any ideas?

jr0sier

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Not working for my phone. Says "Checking for superuser..." Then when i click Root it just runs, and runs, and runs, i even did the reboot option to see if it works and it still doesn't.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Not working for my phone. Says "Checking for superuser..." Then when i click Root it just runs, and runs, and runs, i even did the reboot option to see if it works and it still doesn't.

I suggest looking more into the different threads in this forum .... the zv 4,5 is different then the z v 9 phones as far as rooting methods

Mthomassack25

May 10, 2012
Visit site
i followed these directions exactly and CM7 is working but for some reason i cant flash google apps i tried flashing it right after cm7 and it says that installation is complete but when my phone turns on none of the apps are there. ive tried it multiple times and i know im using the right gapps file its just not showing up.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
why is the recovery img downloading as a text file?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

It's your browser's setting that's thinking it's txt file, check settings or switch to a different browser or PC.

i followed these directions exactly and CM7 is working but for some reason i cant flash google apps i tried flashing it right after cm7 and it says that installation is complete but when my phone turns on none of the apps are there. ive tried it multiple times and i know im using the right gapps file its just not showing up.

The gapps is to ENABLE google play market downloads, it has to be separate from CM ROMs because Google legally doesn't want third party ROMs to include them. You still have to go to the market to download whatever Google or other apps.

Reactions: curtis1973

josh2903

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I am at the point where I enter the clockwork recovery screen and attempt to Backup the original rom. When I click any button on the clockwork recovery screen the only thing that happens is it loads a screen with a hat on it, but does not proceed from there. Did I do something wrong in the steps leading up to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae