[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a simplified guide for those new to rooting & flashing a custom ROM on the Optimus V. No need to type complex commands that are hard to follow and prone to mistakes. Basically there are 3 main steps: Root, Install custom recovery, & flash custom ROM.

Windows Drivers for the Optimus V (Optional, but suggested):
http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/uploads/LG-Optimus-V.zip

Rooting

Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights to the phone so one can do customizations that aren't normally allowed. Root by itself doesn't do anything interesting, unless there's an app that needs it. The fancy stuff comes from custom ROMs. Just remember Virgin Mobile Activation only works on Froyo ROMs, so do it before going to Gingerbread. The easiest way to root nowadays is to use GingerBreak. It can be found here:

[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Instruction Steps:

1. Turn on USB Debugging (Settings - Applications - Development)
2. Copy the GingerBreak.apk to a /sdcard dir, then using a 'file manager' app (search for one in Android Market) install it like a regular app.
3. It can take up to 10 minutes, and will reboot automatically when complete (rooted), if attempt fails, reboot manually & run it again.

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
5. Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.

Flash Custom ROM

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...inferior-human-organs-unofficial-cm7-1-a.html (Gingerbread)

6. Copy the unextracted ROM .zip that you wish to install to the /sdcard dir. Also if installing a CyanogenMod Gingerbread ROM, the unextracted gapps.zip also needs to be placed in the same dir to flash right after the ROM .zip.
7. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery mode (From powered off state, hold vol-down, home, and power button until the LG logo appears).
8. FIRST, BACKUP ORIGINAL ROM! Don't continue until this is successful. use vol-up/down, camera, & back keys to navigate in recovery.
9. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe cache partition. Under Advanced submenu, wipe dalvik-cache. Then uner Mounts & Storage submenu, format all partitions EXCEPT /sdcard.
10. Install the custom ROM.zip from sdcard and gapps.zip too if going to a CyanogenMod ROM
11. Reboot and enjoy the new ROM, the first boot takes longer than usual, also some problems may disappear after rebooting.

NOTES:

- NEVER use the Android Settings 'Factory Reset' from now on, only do factory reset & wipes from within recovery mode. Most ROMs should have this option removed from the Android settings.

- Some newer Optimus V screens hardware changed, see link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html (BobZHome's IHO recovery from the Wiki binary -> recovery page also works with newer screens.)

- If restoring a backed up ROM in CWM recovery gives 'MD5 mismatch' error (likely caused by renaming a ROM backup). Try this fix:
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<name_of_backup>
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

- If you ever want to restore to original stock ROM (ONLY on OV's with older screens), with original recovery and UNrooted:
How to restore your Optimus V to almost original condition - Prepaid Android

Last edited:

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the guide. I will probably use the instructions for CM7.1 mods. However, Clockwork 3.2.0.1 recovery was not able to flash Harmonia 1.3 for me. I had to use Xionia cwma 12518.4 recovery for Virgin. Just a note for the ones who want to use Harmonia.

dualmatrix

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm an idiot. I can't find the /sdcard drive in my removable disk drive. I downloaded ES File Explorer and Astro, but it shows that my SD card is umounted and shows no files.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you installed the LG drivers for Windows (first link) without problems, plugging in the phone will automatically mount the /sdcard as an E: Removable Drive on your PC, make sure Settings - Applications - Development - USB Debugging is on. Or you may have to pull notification bar down and mount the SDCARD for it to show up on the PC. Then you can drop ROM.zip or GingerBreak.apk files there.

ES File Explorer & Astro is for managing files on the phone without a PC. You should be able to go to /sdcard and install GingerBreak.apk from there (after it's been copied from your PC, or if you downloaded it directly to the phone using the built-in browser.)

mustafu

Simply Winning
Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What would you do if rom manager fails to flash cwm recovery? This is a problem I'm having with one of my Optimus V phones. Rom manager reports that it was flashed successfully, but it really wasn't.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Download flash_image.zip, extract it, & copy it to /sdcard/flash_image.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bx14hzq5i2pq3ps

Download CWM 3.2.0.1, or if you can find another version somewhere (avoid CWM 3.2.0). Copy the .img file to /sdcard/recovery.img
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-thunderc.img

Then through 'adb shell' or a terminal:

# su
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mount -o ro, remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: mustafu

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What would you do if rom manager fails to flash cwm recovery? This is a problem I'm having with one of my Optimus V phones. Rom manager reports that it was flashed successfully, but it really wasn't.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Also I would make sure that you actually have permanent root, with a root checker or in terminal type 'su' see if you get a '#' prompt. A recovery image can't be flashed if it's not rooted.

Reactions: mustafu

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
And gingerbreak will DEFINITELY work for our phones? This is a new one for me (I normally root through the ADB method), and I've heard that many have bricked their phones through this method.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm impatient, it works fine.

Last edited:

boneyfiend

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The first thing posted on the link to Gingerbreak is this:

NOTICE: Gingerbreak is an exploit that has been fixed in many of the latest Android versions and releases. If it does not work, it does not work. I can't "fix" the exploit, you will have to wait for a new exploit to come out, or root a different way!

That worries me a bit as I am a complete n00b and I'm afraid of screwing up the device.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

NOTICE: Gingerbreak is an exploit that has been fixed in many of the latest Android versions and releases. If it does not work, it does not work. I can't "fix" the exploit, you will have to wait for a new exploit to come out, or root a different way!

That worries me a bit as I am a complete n00b and I'm afraid of screwing up the device.

Gingerbreak is an .apk that can be installed on MANY Android devices. This is just a standard disclaimer by the developer. By posting it here in the OV forums, it means most of us here have gotten it to work on the Optimus V.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Gingerbreak is an .apk that can be installed on MANY Android devices. This is just a standard disclaimer by the developer. By posting it here in the OV forums, it means most of us here have gotten it to work on the Optimus V.
GingerBreak is not a .apk, GingerBreak APK is the .apk. GingerBreak is the exploit and it is also included in the new version of super one click.

You are correct tho it is a standard disclaimer by the developer. Seeing as how the new version of super one click has the gingerbreak exploit in it I wounder if it can be used to root our phones and not have the issue of the wrong su and busybox being pushed? I think you had to have the su and busybox for your phone in the soc folder before.

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading conflicting stories about cwm 3.2.0.1 and using it to backup your current rom on the OV. Some say it doesn't work right, and some say it does. I have made two backups so far. One was initiated from the ROM Manager UI, the other from booting into the cwm recovery. Should I assume they are both good backups?
One thing I did notice is it said it wasn't able to backup the ext-sd which i
assume is the 2nd partition on my SD card I made with MiniTool.

Sent from my VM670

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading conflicting stories about cwm 3.2.0.1 and using it to backup your current rom on the OV. Some say it doesn't work right, and some say it does. I have made two backups so far. One was initiated from the ROM Manager UI, the other from booting into the cwm recovery. Should I assume they are both good backups?
One thing I did notice is it said it wasn't able to backup the ext-sd which i
assume is the 2nd partition on my SD card I made with MiniTool.

Sent from my VM670

You can just try to restore one of the backups in recovery mode, if it works, then everything is good. Save that backup dir to your PC too just to be safe. There's no point in using ROM Manager after you have CWM installed. CWM 3.2.0.1 doesn't backup ext-sd by design.

Reactions: Ticojpunk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
You can just try to restore one of the backups in recovery mode, if it works, then everything is good. Save that backup dir to your PC too just to be safe. There's no point in using ROM Manager after you have CWM installed. CWM 3.2.0.1 doesn't backup ext-sd by design.

So if I TRY to restore from one of those backups and it doesn't work, say it's corrupted or won't work at all, what will happen to the phone?

Sent from my VM670

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Try the one that you backed up using the same recovery (not the ROM Manager one). Well it's better to find out now then later right? It's one of those things you have to be able to do anyway. Most likely it'll either error out early, or work as expected. small chance that it'll leave your phone in a half-working state. If that's the case, you can always boot into recovery again and flash a new ROM.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Try the one that you backed up using the same recovery (not the ROM Manager one). Well it's better to find out now then later right? It's one of those things you have to be able to do anyway. Most likely it'll either error out early, or work as expected. small chance that it'll leave your phone in a half-working state. If that's the case, you can always boot into recovery again and flash a new ROM.

Thanks. I just did exactly that at your suggestion. I watched it beginning to load, and I let it run for a while bit stepped away from the phone for a few seconds. When I returned it was back at the recovery screen and I rebooted from there. Everything appears normal. So I guess we can count this a success?

Sent from my VM670

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just did exactly that at your suggestion. I watched it beginning to load, and I let it run for a while bit stepped away from the phone for a few seconds. When I returned it was back at the recovery screen and I rebooted from there. Everything appears normal. So I guess we can count this a success?

Sent from my VM670

yup, restore to that backed up ROM if anything goes wrong in the future. Also remember to not use the 'factory reset' option in the android settings menu.