[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

testshoot

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
one silly little question...do you need to activate first?

When I try to enter the code for virgin, it dials? I never get the programming menu and didn't see a step for activation?

thanks!

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
one silly little question...do you need to activate first?

When I try to enter the code for virgin, it dials? I never get the programming menu and didn't see a step for activation?

thanks!

Yes you must activate the phone before flashing a gingerbread rom.

K0RYL33

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
alright so i got my girlfriends windows laptop (its a mini laptop thing and my hands can cover the whole keyboard) i plug in the ov and a popup saying new hardware found, thats something right?

-edit-
i got andriod sdk installed, its having problems geting "addons" and what not
i plug the ov into the windows laptop in what should be the recovery menu (blank screen for me) and windows installed like 7 new drivers and one says "andriod adm driver"

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
alright so i got my girlfriends windows laptop (its a mini laptop thing and my hands can cover the whole keyboard) i plug in the ov and a popup saying new hardware found, thats something right?

-edit-
i got andriod sdk installed, its having problems geting "addons" and what not
i plug the ov into the windows laptop in what should be the recovery menu (blank screen for me) and windows installed like 7 new drivers and one says "andriod adm driver"

yes I think that means windows recognizes the device. You should be able to go into your C:\android\tools\ dir and run 'adb shell' to get into the phone and run other commands.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
can i flash my own recovery instead of the default CWM in the ROM Manager?

You can technically, but not through ROM manager. You have to download & use a tool called 'flash_image' I would also suggest you make sure the recovery works with the custom ROM that you plan to install. It's better to just go with the CWM 3.2.0.1 since it's most compatible with other ROMs to start out with and get comfortable with backing up/restore, flashing ROMs first.

Reactions: bdieu17

bdieu17

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
You can technically, but not through ROM manager. You have to download & use a tool called 'flash_image' I would also suggest you make sure the recovery works with the custom ROM that you plan to install. It's better to just go with the CWM 3.2.0.1 since it's most compatible with other ROMs to start out with and get comfortable with backing up/restore, flashing ROMs first.

i have the new OV, so i'm planning on flashing the recovery from the blackscreen sticky by supersquid

MKornelis

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Complete Noob here.

Following these directions I have used GingerHack to root my new (I am guessing with new screen) OV. Installed BusyBox and verified both with Root Checker. So far so good.

The next step confuses me some. There are SO many recovery roms available and the more forum posts I read, the more I encounter! Having the new screen and not wanting to get the black screen in recovery bug, what is the easiest recovery image to install that is updated with new screen drivers and compatible with the IHO gingerbread custom roms?
The GitHub page for IHO directs me to this one: iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img
Sound good to you? Install via terminal?

Next, what custom IHO rom to use? Since i probably have the newer screen, I will need a recently updated IHO rom. There are like 6 or 7 IHO roms for the OV - Of the more updated ones, which is the most basic plain jane gingerbread rom?

Thanks!

MKornelis

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
OK - Next question - and thanks for the help for the first question.

Rooted and busybox installed - checked both with Root Checker.

Copied BobZhome's latest IHO recovery image (with support for OVs with new screen) to root of SD card. Install Terminal Emulator.

Typed in these commands:
su
cd sdcard
flash_image recovery VM670NH_recovery.img

and then I get "flash_image: not found"

Hmm... Is there an alternative way to safely flash this recovery image? ROMmanager app?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
you can get flash_image here
you'll need to put it in the root of the sdcard, and
Code:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 4755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
before trying to flash the recovery with the lines you posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKornelis

MKornelis

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I did run into one hitch and figured it out (with help from google):
I had to run: chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
after making the filesystem read/write

Thanks again BigSuperSquid - successfully flashed the recovery image and it boots to recovery just fine.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

banmj

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
USB mass storage is not working on my optimus v. I tried on multiple pc's. When I connect the usb from the phone to the pc it says it is charging, but no drive shows up in windows explorer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
USB mass storage is not working on my optimus v. I tried on multiple pc's. When I connect the usb from the phone to the pc it says it is charging, but no drive shows up in windows explorer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

You also have to press the green Android on the phone to turn on USB drive after plugging in. Try a different cable. Make sure the PC has the LG drivers installed. Or if all else fails, pull out the SD card and put it into the PC to do the transfers, then after putting the new ROM + Gapps.zip on the sdcard & reflashing, maybe it'll recognize it after booting into the new ROM.

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the Optimus V rooting party but are the steps in the OP here still the best/easiest way to do this? I want to try it this weekend but want to make sure I have everything in order first.

Please let me know if I can just follow the steps in the OP and if that will be all I need or if there are modifications that have come up in the past few months I should know about.

Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton