[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

stu310

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Greenmachime I feel for you. That software is nothing but a pain the a**. I found out if your PC can already read your SD card DON"T install the software. It just screws everything up as you found out. My suggestion is to just make sure nothing remains of the crap software in your registry and try to get it the way you had it on the PC before installing it. It should not have effected your phone as least it didn't mine.

greenmarine

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Greenmachime I feel for you. That software is nothing but a pain the a**. I found out if your PC can already read your SD card DON"T install the software. It just screws everything up as you found out. My suggestion is to just make sure nothing remains of the crap software in your registry and try to get it the way you had it on the PC before installing it. It should not have effected your phone as least it didn't mine.
Stu Even after I uninstalled everything and ran a regisrty cleaner then manually checking the registry for all lg drivers. They were all gon no traces but my phone would still not connect tried 4 differant cables.
I found the solution, (well it worked for me in Win7 and XP) The fix is...
LGAndroidDriver_Ver_1.0_All.exe from here Official LG Phone Forum

Funny thing is the drivers are for alltel wireless and not virgin mobile. The drivers for virgin mobile customers don't work so please don't use them.
Once I installed the 1.0 drivers I plugged my phone in expecting to see nothing again, but the usb mass storage android came up and I finally had a usb in the notifacations. Best advice is what stu said just don't install the drivers if your phone connects to the PC.

Shame on me I know better to research info before I dive rite in, Plus commen sense told me I don't need the drivers but I installed them anyway it's one of those slap on the forehead moments.

I hope this helps everyone else that is having the same issue, good luck
Greenie
P.S. excuse spelling in hurry

Last edited:

dieselville

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Silly question, and please accept my apologies if this has been answered, and I am sure it has.. If a new updated version comes out like the ones posted recently, do I have to redo the whole process of installing the updated files to the SD card then flash the rom/delete the cache from the recovery, or is there an option once in the rom to automatically update to the newest release?

fairchild99

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this guide, it worked perfect on my new Optimus V which I've had for around 3 months now. Got it running with BobZhome's latest ROM. I never thought I'd get gingerbread since VM is still stuck on Froyo.

deshwasi

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for a wonderful guide. Just one thing i missed on first try was that i thought installing the Gingerbreak.apk would automatically lead to a root & reboot. silly me only realized after a couple attempts that i actually had to run the app. i know, so stupid.. but if you could just add coupel of words to make it explicit that you need to run the Gingerbreak app, it may save someone else a couple minutes.

fairchild99

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Update to my post, I am currently running the BobZphone 1-15-12 rom but I found a bug that's been causing me a bit of a problem, MMS seems to be broken and I can't send txt's with pictures. I have to read around a bit I guess and find out how to fix this.

Edit: I kinda worked around it by installing an SMS app named GO SMS Pro and now I can send and receive MMS texts again. :)

Last edited:

faheyd

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Silly question, and please accept my apologies if this has been answered, and I am sure it has.. If a new updated version comes out like the ones posted recently, do I have to redo the whole process of installing the updated files to the SD card then flash the rom/delete the cache from the recovery, or is there an option once in the rom to automatically update to the newest release?

You would usually just download the new ROM and copy to SD card. Reboot into recovery mode, clear cache, advanced, clear dalvik cache, then, install new rom.

Before all that, you would back up your stuff via Titanium Backup. Just in case you have problems.

Last edited:

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the VM670_nh for the recovery flash....however,it was linked and put as a .txt file attribute. has anyone seen this? a link to the proper .img file is appteciated

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
In addition, what to exactly do using the flash GUI app as far as doing a wipe when flashing just a ROM or recovery,or both times...?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's your PC operating system that's changing the .img to a .txt file, as others have posted previously in this thread. Flash GUI installs the custom recovery, then you boot into the custom recovery to wipe & flash new ROM and gapps.zip.

poweredge99

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
]so i thought i did everything correctly.. i added the recovery image as told.. but after the reboot i got a blue screen and researched a bit and found that i have the wrong recovery image... i can access cwm recovery. but am def a beginner ... have i successfully toasted the phone ?

UPDATE.. (10 mins later) .. is the phone plugged in to pc entire time? when i enter the part where i flash the recovery image with GUI app.. then go to the next step .. does the recovery image stay there after hitting flash? when i go back it gives the example instead of the img i flashed. is that correct? Assuming it is when i reboot in CWM and follow instructions to erase clear ( after making a backup) it says i am good to go and to reboot to enjoy awesomeness ....then just a flashing LG logo ( on Harmonia 1.7 and blue screen on CM7 ... back up worked twice.. I have a 2.2.1 old screen and have verified that i am rooted...

GOT IT.. Not sure how.. but it worked.. thank you guys anyhow..:D

Last edited:

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
So just a little update on my end...still trying to re-root after un-rooting while in GB v 2.3.4.
Unable to do this.
After I get past this issue, I can then use the flash GUI to get the right recovery flashed...
Thanx for ur help.
Fyi terminal is useless @this point also

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Again I'm usin OV New. Flashed the incorrect CM recovery for this phone. Trying to recover ever since. I have all the appropriate files on the SD but need to get rooted again....

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Again I'm usin OV New. Flashed the incorrect CM recovery for this phone. Trying to recover ever since. I have all the appropriate files on the SD but need to get rooted again....

The recovery is there just black, you can use adb to flash a ROM and to wipe what ever you need wiped. CuriousNoob knows all about using adb that way.

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Still unsure what the next step would be -- i mean, I thought to flash the correct recovery first before doing any sort of any type of rom.
But the issue is getting rooted again.
the terminal emulator is unuseful cuz no superuser permissions accepted

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I formatted the SD and tried to root again...no success. Is it because I'm just not rooting from 2.2?? I have backups on the PC but now the USB connection fails and does not appear. Debugging is checked, what happened here!??
I was going to attempt the ADB route but now can't copy the files

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if you havent noticed... jcase has hooked us up with a way to root the update... its not posted here yet because jerry wants to double/triple check everything to be sure its safe... you can get it from the xda thread if you really want to... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89