[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

ZackVortex

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure what I did, I did follow the tutorial tho, I may need to restart over..

Maby... in the recovery go to factory reset.... than wipe cache and under the advanced wipe dalvik-cache. Than go to install from sdcard than choose the rom and once the rom is flashed flash the gapps

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

TaylordKris

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Maby... in the recovery go to factory reset.... than wipe cache and under the advanced wipe dalvik-cache. Than go to install from sdcard than choose the rom and once the rom is flashed flash the gapps

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

would you happen to know if that'll fix the booting restart every so often and the freezing, or is that a hardware issue that the ICS has effect on the Optimus V hardware?

mybad if i confused you haha!

TaylordKris

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Edit: Ok so I got the Play Store working on there, however it shows "Server Error" on the play Store for some reason.. I have a successful Internet Connection & 3G.. So would you happen to know the problem?

That's about it, thanks alot!

sgwebb

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was following this method, and all was going well.. I formatted everything and was getting ready to install my rom, however when pressing the volume down button to get to the install menu. I inadvertently hit the camera button and rebooted.. I am only getting the LG logo, .. pressing the home and volume up button are not taking me to the menu.. how can I get the menus to load the ROM?

tenzin jinpa

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey... my samsung galaxy ace is not working now. black screen and cpu is running. downloading mode is working and when i install from odin its sucks. not working... any idea...

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey... my samsung galaxy ace is not working now. black screen and cpu is running. downloading mode is working and when i install from odin its sucks. not working... any idea...

Sorry, this is the lg optimus v forum, you should check out the specific forum for your device.

pl28

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just got a optimus V with Virgin mobile. First smart phone, so sort of new to rooting and custom ROMs and I was wondering if anyone know if I should root the phone first before activating or after activating the phone with Virgin Mobile?

Also with the newer ROMs (2.3 or CM7) will I get text message that threads (for easier reading) similar in newer phones?

TIA.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I would activate it first. The gb, ics and jb roms won't let you activate, though Leslie Ann's froyo rom will. Easiest thing is to activate before modding.

Most of the newer roms have text message threads.

As someone new to this stuff, I advise that you read, read, and then read some more before you do anything. This thread (simplified root, rom, and recovery)has great info. Also read Leslie Ann's guide to the optimus v (also in the stickies). If you run into problems, and you can't find the answer by googling, don't be shy about asking for help. There's tons of helpful people around this forum. Welcome to the ov forum!

Astrosones

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm just wondering if there is a way to get the ORIGINAL recovery for the Optimus back if I ever want to the sell it. Does the FlashRecovery program keep your original recovery for the phone, or does it delete it when you flash the VM670NH? If if stores it, how do you get it back? Along with this, do you clear the Dalvik and the Cache during the FlashRecovery stage? It wasn't in the instructions.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm just wondering if there is a way to get the ORIGINAL recovery for the Optimus back if I ever want to the sell it. Does the FlashRecovery program keep your original recovery for the phone, or does it delete it when you flash the VM670NH? If if stores it, how do you get it back? Along with this, do you clear the Dalvik and the Cache during the FlashRecovery stage? It wasn't in the instructions.

You can flash the zv9 update from vm670nh recovery and it'll remove root and leave you on stock u unrooted recovery and all

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running OM-Mandylion on LS670ZVJ firmware

nonocheese

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok I've got a Optimus V 2.2.1. all i want to do is install apps on the SD card to free up mem on phone. i guess i need to root it. correct. that is all i want to do, don't have time for roms, recoveries, themes, fancy stuff. just root and install an app to move apps to card is all. I know enough to get into trouble but am a complete newb to Android hacking. i definetly need my hand held since there is sooo much stuff on the net i can spend another week just reading post after post. here's how far i've gotten (or not gotten!). followed the steps in the 1st page about rooting. turned on debugging, read somewhere to allow non market apps, downloaded Gingerbreak from the xda-developers.com link, placed in on the root of the SD. I've read in other post that you leave the .zip alone but read about installing apps that are .apk, the files inside the .zip are .c. i've tried different apps and can't figure out how to install. am i missing something?
i'm on Win 8 if that matters. when i try and download the .apk files further down the xda-developers.com page Windows warns me of MALWARE and won't download. please help!

update: downloaded the .apk down the page in the xda-developers.com post on an XP machine, installed! but got an error to reboot manually, did but superuser didn't install. downloaded two super user apps from the market, one from clockworkmod won't run, the other from ChainsDD does. how to verify if it worked?
thanks in advance!

Last edited:

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You can override windows and force it to download it. You need the .apk on your sd card. You can install it with many different apps. For a non-rooted phone, I would recomend app installer. Install it from the play store, open it and point it to the gingerbreak.apk. That will install gingerbreak. Open it, run it, and it should root your phone. Make sure your baseband is vz4 or zv5 before you try that. In settings, phone info it should list your baseband.

nonocheese

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! yes got it to install from dl from an XP machine. the baseband is vz4. got an error after install but it said to reboot manually, didn't install superuser. see my edited post above.
Thanks!

AuntB2005

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
HELP!!!

Okay, I followed all these steps and I rebooted and now it is stuck at blue screen that says this:

Fastboot mode started
gpio_12c: invalid khz: 0
bl:i2c write error
udc_start()

I have researched everywhere to solve this and I am stuck...

Please help!!!!!!!!!!

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
What step did you make it to? Your in fastboot it's not a brick so try not to panic. Turn it off and back on (pull battery if needed) if it just goes to the blue screen again. Pull the battery, put it back in and attempt to boot recovery mode (home+volume down+power)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

lemonsquare

May 27, 2013
Visit site
So I've rooted my phone. And when I log-in to Google for the market, it says "can't establish reliable data connection to the server" so I restore the backup created before flashing (on a whim). Then I repeated everything, except the one with the recovery image file. This time, I didn't install gapps. Now I don't even have the market app. I'm a total noob and this phone's from another country (kinda picked up by my dad) so I'd like to know if the issue arises from that fact.

And I don't see the apps I had before rooting. Is this natural or because I don't have the market app? In the browser Google play it says those apps were alreasdy installed, but I can't see them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC