Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 253
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    This is a simplified guide for those new to rooting & flashing a custom ROM on the Optimus V. No need to type complex commands that are hard to follow and prone to mistakes. Basically there are 3 main steps: Root, Install custom recovery, & flash custom ROM.

    Windows Drivers for the Optimus V (Optional, but suggested):


    Rooting

    Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights to the phone so one can do customizations that aren't normally allowed. Root by itself doesn't do anything interesting, unless there's an app that needs it. The fancy stuff comes from custom ROMs. Just remember Virgin Mobile Activation only works on Froyo ROMs, so do it before going to Gingerbread. The easiest way to root nowadays is to use GingerBreak. It can be found here:



    Instruction Steps:

    1. Turn on USB Debugging (Settings - Applications - Development)
    2. Copy the GingerBreak.apk to a /sdcard dir, then using a 'file manager' app (search for one in Android Market) install it like a regular app.
    3. It can take up to 10 minutes, and will reboot automatically when complete (rooted), if attempt fails, reboot manually & run it again.


    Install custom recovery image

    The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

    4. Download and copy the recovery image (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
    5. Install the (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.


    Flash Custom ROM

    [ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1 (Gingerbread)

    6. Copy the unextracted ROM .zip that you wish to install to the /sdcard dir. Also if installing a CyanogenMod Gingerbread ROM, the unextracted also needs to be placed in the same dir to flash right after the ROM .zip.
    7. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery mode (From powered off state, hold vol-down, home, and power button until the LG logo appears).
    8. FIRST, BACKUP ORIGINAL ROM! Don't continue until this is successful. use vol-up/down, camera, & back keys to navigate in recovery.
    9. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe cache partition. Under Advanced submenu, wipe dalvik-cache. Then uner Mounts & Storage submenu, format all partitions EXCEPT /sdcard.
    10. Install the custom ROM.zip from sdcard and gapps.zip too if going to a CyanogenMod ROM
    11. Reboot and enjoy the new ROM, the first boot takes longer than usual, also some problems may disappear after rebooting.

    NOTES:

    - NEVER use the Android Settings 'Factory Reset' from now on, only do factory reset & wipes from within recovery mode. Most ROMs should have this option removed from the Android settings.

    - Some newer Optimus V screens hardware changed, see link: [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms (BobZHome's IHO recovery from the Wiki binary -> recovery page also works with newer screens.)

    - If restoring a backed up ROM in CWM recovery gives 'MD5 mismatch' error (likely caused by renaming a ROM backup). Try this fix:
    # cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<name_of_backup>
    # rm nandroid.md5
    # md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

    - If you ever want to restore to original stock ROM (ONLY on OV's with older screens), with original recovery and UNrooted:
    Last edited by Whyzor; 01-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Thanked by 56:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. #2  
    jralabate's Avatar
    Android Ninja

    Posts
    127 Posts
    ROM
    CM7/ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Reserved
    Nexus S 4G
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7
    Kernel: Matr1x

  3. #3  
    mrg666's Avatar

    Posts
    734 Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Thanks for the guide. I will probably use the instructions for CM7.1 mods. However, Clockwork 3.2.0.1 recovery was not able to flash Harmonia 1.3 for me. I had to use Xionia cwma 12518.4 recovery for Virgin. Just a note for the ones who want to use Harmonia.
  4. #4  
    Ticojpunk's Avatar
    Recordist

    Posts
    631 Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Any recommendations for a good, free, (and small) file manager app?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Ticojpunk View Post
    Any recommendations for a good, free, (and small) file manager app?
    I like ES File Explorer if you have to install one. But CM7.1 has one built-in and it is enough for me for now.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    I'm an *****. I can't find the /sdcard drive in my removable disk drive. I downloaded ES File Explorer and Astro, but it shows that my SD card is umounted and shows no files.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    If you installed the LG drivers for Windows (first link) without problems, plugging in the phone will automatically mount the /sdcard as an E: Removable Drive on your PC, make sure Settings - Applications - Development - USB Debugging is on. Or you may have to pull notification bar down and mount the SDCARD for it to show up on the PC. Then you can drop ROM.zip or GingerBreak.apk files there.

    ES File Explorer & Astro is for managing files on the phone without a PC. You should be able to go to /sdcard and install GingerBreak.apk from there (after it's been copied from your PC, or if you downloaded it directly to the phone using the built-in browser.)
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  
    mustafu's Avatar
    Simply Winning

    Posts
    113 Posts
    ROM
    TDM/ICS/CM9/Harmonia3

    Default

    What would you do if rom manager fails to flash cwm recovery? This is a problem I'm having with one of my Optimus V phones. Rom manager reports that it was flashed successfully, but it really wasn't.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Download flash_image.zip, extract it, & copy it to /sdcard/flash_image.


    Download CWM 3.2.0.1, or if you can find another version somewhere (avoid CWM 3.2.0). Copy the .img file to /sdcard/recovery.img


    Then through 'adb shell' or a terminal:

    # su
    # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
    # cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    # chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    # mount -o ro, remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
    # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    # reboot recovery
    Last edited by Whyzor; 08-06-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by mustafu View Post
    What would you do if rom manager fails to flash cwm recovery? This is a problem I'm having with one of my Optimus V phones. Rom manager reports that it was flashed successfully, but it really wasn't.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Also I would make sure that you actually have permanent root, with a root checker or in terminal type 'su' see if you get a '#' prompt. A recovery image can't be flashed if it's not rooted.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  
    kcls's Avatar

    Posts
    910 Posts
    ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    And gingerbreak will DEFINITELY work for our phones? This is a new one for me (I normally root through the ADB method), and I've heard that many have bricked their phones through this method.

    Edit: Nevermind, I'm impatient, it works fine.
    Last edited by kcls; 08-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    The first thing posted on the link to Gingerbreak is this:

    NOTICE: Gingerbreak is an exploit that has been fixed in many of the latest Android versions and releases. If it does not work, it does not work. I can't "fix" the exploit, you will have to wait for a new exploit to come out, or root a different way!

    That worries me a bit as I am a complete n00b and I'm afraid of screwing up the device.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by boneyfiend View Post
    The first thing posted on the link to Gingerbreak is this:

    NOTICE: Gingerbreak is an exploit that has been fixed in many of the latest Android versions and releases. If it does not work, it does not work. I can't "fix" the exploit, you will have to wait for a new exploit to come out, or root a different way!

    That worries me a bit as I am a complete n00b and I'm afraid of screwing up the device.
    Gingerbreak is an .apk that can be installed on MANY Android devices. This is just a standard disclaimer by the developer. By posting it here in the OV forums, it means most of us here have gotten it to work on the Optimus V.
  14. #14  
    Eollie's Avatar

    Posts
    1,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by boneyfiend View Post
    The first thing posted on the link to Gingerbreak is this:

    NOTICE: Gingerbreak is an exploit that has been fixed in many of the latest Android versions and releases. If it does not work, it does not work. I can't "fix" the exploit, you will have to wait for a new exploit to come out, or root a different way!

    That worries me a bit as I am a complete n00b and I'm afraid of screwing up the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    Gingerbreak is an .apk that can be installed on MANY Android devices. This is just a standard disclaimer by the developer. By posting it here in the OV forums, it means most of us here have gotten it to work on the Optimus V.
    GingerBreak is not a .apk, GingerBreak APK is the .apk. GingerBreak is the exploit and it is also included in the new version of super one click.

    You are correct tho it is a standard disclaimer by the developer. Seeing as how the new version of super one click has the gingerbreak exploit in it I wounder if it can be used to root our phones and not have the issue of the wrong su and busybox being pushed? I think you had to have the su and busybox for your phone in the soc folder before.
    Last edited by Eollie; 08-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.
  15. #15  
    Ticojpunk's Avatar
    Recordist

    Posts
    631 Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

    Default

    I'm reading conflicting stories about cwm 3.2.0.1 and using it to backup your current rom on the OV. Some say it doesn't work right, and some say it does. I have made two backups so far. One was initiated from the ROM Manager UI, the other from booting into the cwm recovery. Should I assume they are both good backups?
    One thing I did notice is it said it wasn't able to backup the ext-sd which i
    assume is the 2nd partition on my SD card I made with MiniTool.

    Sent from my VM670
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Ticojpunk View Post
    I'm reading conflicting stories about cwm 3.2.0.1 and using it to backup your current rom on the OV. Some say it doesn't work right, and some say it does. I have made two backups so far. One was initiated from the ROM Manager UI, the other from booting into the cwm recovery. Should I assume they are both good backups?
    One thing I did notice is it said it wasn't able to backup the ext-sd which i
    assume is the 2nd partition on my SD card I made with MiniTool.

    Sent from my VM670
    You can just try to restore one of the backups in recovery mode, if it works, then everything is good. Save that backup dir to your PC too just to be safe. There's no point in using ROM Manager after you have CWM installed. CWM 3.2.0.1 doesn't backup ext-sd by design.
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  
    Ticojpunk's Avatar
    Recordist

    Posts
    631 Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    You can just try to restore one of the backups in recovery mode, if it works, then everything is good. Save that backup dir to your PC too just to be safe. There's no point in using ROM Manager after you have CWM installed. CWM 3.2.0.1 doesn't backup ext-sd by design.
    So if I TRY to restore from one of those backups and it doesn't work, say it's corrupted or won't work at all, what will happen to the phone?

    Sent from my VM670
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Try the one that you backed up using the same recovery (not the ROM Manager one). Well it's better to find out now then later right? It's one of those things you have to be able to do anyway. Most likely it'll either error out early, or work as expected. small chance that it'll leave your phone in a half-working state. If that's the case, you can always boot into recovery again and flash a new ROM.
  19. #19  
    Ticojpunk's Avatar
    Recordist

    Posts
    631 Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    Try the one that you backed up using the same recovery (not the ROM Manager one). Well it's better to find out now then later right? It's one of those things you have to be able to do anyway. Most likely it'll either error out early, or work as expected. small chance that it'll leave your phone in a half-working state. If that's the case, you can always boot into recovery again and flash a new ROM.
    Thanks. I just did exactly that at your suggestion. I watched it beginning to load, and I let it run for a while bit stepped away from the phone for a few seconds. When I returned it was back at the recovery screen and I rebooted from there. Everything appears normal. So I guess we can count this a success?

    Sent from my VM670
    Last edited by Ticojpunk; 08-18-2011 at 05:47 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Ticojpunk View Post
    Thanks. I just did exactly that at your suggestion. I watched it beginning to load, and I let it run for a while bit stepped away from the phone for a few seconds. When I returned it was back at the recovery screen and I rebooted from there. Everything appears normal. So I guess we can count this a success?

    Sent from my VM670
    yup, restore to that backed up ROM if anything goes wrong in the future. Also remember to not use the 'factory reset' option in the android settings menu.
  21. #21  
    Ticojpunk's Avatar
    Recordist

    Posts
    631 Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

    Default

    Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Thanks for the guide. Just rooted and flashed to CM7 using this guide, much easier now then when I first bought the phone!
  23. #23  
    mustafu's Avatar
    Simply Winning

    Posts
    113 Posts
    ROM
    TDM/ICS/CM9/Harmonia3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    Download flash_image.zip, extract it, & copy it to /sdcard/flash_image.


    Download CWM 3.2.0.1, or if you can find another version somewhere (avoid CWM 3.2.0). Copy the .img file to /sdcard/recovery.img


    Then through 'adb shell' or a terminal:

    # su
    # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
    # cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    # chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    # mount -o ro, remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
    # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    # reboot recovery
    These commands don't work. I get a response that says mount: usage and tells me the syntax for the command. Is there anything else I can try? I used fastboot to root and I have perm root.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by mustafu View Post
    These commands don't work. I get a response that says mount: usage and tells me the syntax for the command. Is there anything else I can try? I used fastboot to root and I have perm root.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Try copying the chunk of code to wordpad and increase the font to make sure you're typing all the characters correctly. Or you could add '/system' at the end to see if that makes a difference.

    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
  25. #25  

    Default Re: [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

    will this method work for an LG optimis t phone. I'm a noon and each time I try this I factory reset my phone. I have flash_image and it was extracted to a folder flash_image. I also have my recovery thunderc but am I supposed to extract the thunderc recovery file to my SD card root? also, can i use clockworkmod instead of the thunderc recovery file I have?
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

B