ROM versus themes

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, I am rooted, but I so far have not flashed any different ROMs, and after installing ADW.launcher, I am wondering why should I when the launcher will do any theme I want. I know a better ROM will run more apps and stuff but if the reason to flash an ROM is to change how everything looks why not just install a different launcher and use themes.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Think of it like a car.

Flashing roms is like doing engine work, new drive train, stuff that makes the car run different, hopefully better. You can get themed with a rom, but their whole point is to change the way the phone runs.

Themes, to carry the analogy, is like body work, a new paint job, where it may or may not have any effect on how the car runs, it will change how it looks.

-----
Android: It will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Reactions: anthonycr

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I see that makes sense, so what things will benefit me say if I upgrade to a ROM better than 2.2.1, which I currently have and do you have any suggestions for ROMs?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
That may be why I just bricked my phone trying to overclock on stock kernel. Ha ha, I actually did but I'm gonna reset the phone so that should work. What is a kernel?

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Look at the Optimus V Modding sticky at the top of this thread. Read all of it and make sure you understand what you are doing before you start. If you have any doubts or questions, please ask before trying something. It is easier to answer a question than to recover a bricked phone.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, I am rooted, but I so far have not flashed any different ROMs, and after installing ADW.launcher, I am wondering why should I when the launcher will do any theme I want. I know a better ROM will run more apps and stuff but if the reason to flash an ROM is to change how everything looks why not just install a different launcher and use themes.
WARNING! If you are now Rooted it is imperative that you install a custom recovery and make a backup of your system before you do anything else. Rooting allows you access to the system files. To be able to change them from r/o(read only)to r/w(read write)which will allow you to delete or change files(even if not intended) that might adversely affect your system(freeze,reboot to just the lg screen,reboot to just the boot loader,etc.,etc.). If you have a custom recovery and you have made a backup, then if the unthinkable happens, you can go into your recovery and restore the system to exactly how it was before it got messed up. If you need help flashing a recovery then give the info on the method of rooting that you used. The reason why this is important is the Gingerbreak.apk does not install the proper flash_image to the /system/bin... You have to do this with command prompts,or ROMTools(it has Xionia recovery which works best with Froyo based ROM's),or ROM Manager v4.3.2.4 which has ClockWorkMod 3.2.0.1(this is best for all CM7 based ROM's-Gingerbread). I hope this has been of some help to you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781