Increase Internal Memory Optimus V?

dono222

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It's been a long time since I revisited custom roms, kernel. I am on the 2.6.32.26-Xionia.005 zefie@shino #1 kernel (Ancient now, I guess). Using SetCPU to overclock to 806Mhz on the Optimus V. Set up sipdroid, google voice callback, elixir widgets, etc.

My phone works great, responsive. Only complaint is I can't put that many apps on phone, internal memory is less than 25MB now with not that much apps. Icons disappearing because of low memory, I assume from what I have read. But I don't have that many apps, moved almost everything with App2SD; however it seems like it still stores half the space on the internal memory after the move.

What's the best way to increase internal memory with minimal changes/steps (for one who's filled up the small internal memory with apps)? Can I do it without replacing the rom? I've searched and read the forums (eg Link2SD, and Apps2SD Darktremor - seems like they require a new rom & complicated patching the path with existing apps). Hoping I don't have to redo everything, if not I guess I have to bite the bullet and change my rom. Don't want to redo a lot of my settings and data because I've been on the same rom for a while now.

Getting a bigger mSD doesn't help cuz it stills stores approx half the app space on internal. I have 16GB mSD and still have space but internal memory is the problem. Suggestions...

Thanks for your input.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It's been a long time since I revisited custom roms, kernel. I am on the 2.6.32.26-Xionia.005 zefie@shino #1 kernel (Ancient now, I guess). Using SetCPU to overclock to 806Mhz on the Optimus V. Set up sipdroid, google voice callback, elixir widgets, etc.

My phone works great, responsive. Only complaint is I can't put that many apps on phone, internal memory is less than 25MB now with not that much apps. Icons disappearing because of low memory, I assume from what I have read. But I don't have that many apps, moved almost everything with App2SD; however it seems like it still stores half the space on the internal memory after the move.

What's the best way to increase internal memory with minimal changes/steps (for one who's filled up the small internal memory with apps)? Can I do it without replacing the rom? I've searched and read the forums (eg Link2SD, and Apps2SD Darktremor - seems like they require a new rom & complicated patching the path with existing apps). Hoping I don't have to redo everything, if not I guess I have to bite the bullet and change my rom. Don't want to redo a lot of my settings and data because I've been on the same rom for a while now.

Getting a bigger mSD doesn't help cuz it stills stores approx half the app space on internal. I have 16GB mSD and still have space but "internal memory is the problem. Suggestions...

The easiest way is to backup your SD card to your computer.

Format your SD card

Crete a partition through recovery (don't use cwm 2.2.0.1) I did about a 1 gig partition and 64mb swap, I think.

Move your files back to your SD card.

Download link2sd (free from market) open it and chose ext3 (most likely it will be 3 but if that doesn't work try 2 or 4.

Reboot your phone.

Go back to link2sd and press the menu button on phone and do batch select files.

The rest is simple. Good luck

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: dono222

mngl1500

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Or you do not even have to use recovery mode if you use software on your pc to setup the sd card properly as I did in my post here

OK guys since gingerbread is on its way for the opti s I did not want to mess arround and install a custom rom and mess arround with recovery mode to make a 1 gig partition on my 32 gig memory card.

Steps I did:
0) backup your apps using titanium
1) on your windows computer install EaseUS Partition Master home edition (since this version is free)
2) connect driod to the computer in usb storage mode
3) backup your memory card to the computer just in case
4) leave the driod connected to the computer and launch EaseUS Partition Master home edition and create a new PRIMARY partion on the end of your existing partition and make it fat32. It needs to be fat32 because I did not install a custom rom!
5) disconect the driod from the computer
6) install from market place link2sd
7) make sure you reenable usb debug mode
8) you may or may not need to reboot the driod I can not remember even how many times I rebooted it trying ext2 and not creating the new partition as primary
9) start link2sd and tell it your partion is fat32 and let it reboot your driod so it makes the mount script
10) start link2sd and move an app and test it. The first app I moved was facebook.

Again this was done on a stock rom opti v that was rooted and the only other thing I have done was remove some of the bloat crapware.

dono222

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Or you do not even have to use recovery mode if you use software on your pc to setup the sd card properly as I did in my post here

Either way you do the partition. It worked!!!

Thanks pbailey212.

Followed the steps as you said. Your info allowed search and find other info.

I used 64MB switch and 1024MB for the second partition. Read that 1GB was the recommend max, but some people put 2GB, so not sure the size vs ill effects.

I went from 21MB to 60MB internal free. Phone working like it should again. Sweet!!!

If I wasn't tied down to all my phone setup (widgets and what not. I would just redo my rom).

Here's another option that I found.

http://optimusv.wikispaces.com/Moving+data+directory+to+MicroSD+with+Data2ext

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings on link2sd you can link dalvik to SD and you will have even more room, on iho and link2sd I have 84 apps and 140 MB free

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I am also running IHO (Backside), but have never found a need to use link2sd. I have 71 apps on my phone and still have 144 megs left. This is done by simply moving apps to the sd card with the built in app manager. Seems to be a lot easier than trying to partition and setup link2sd.

dono222

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess it's for older peeps who don't want to flash the latest rom and being tied down to their setup baggage. hehe...

I did the settings>auto link settings> checking all three Link apps, dalvik cache, library files.

Under Menu>more>Link dalvik cache.

I left some apps on internal without links (eg. SetCPU, Webroot Security, BOA, etc.). The ones that I considered critical and core. I'm also on older rom, so I have less free space from my sys files.

Can those apps be linked (non sys files, like SetCPU, apps that require su access, or apps you can't do without your mSD like my BOA) or is it better to keep them on internal without links? I guess definitely keep files that you need to use on your phone without your mSD, should it get disconnected.

Last edited:

Jerrbearpdx

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
dono222-
Saw you increased your Opti V storage to SD Card, using these (year old) instructions from pbailey212. They look so simple to follow and I wanna do the same for my Opti V but I am totally stumped on one point. When I do a recovery boot I don't get the 'Advanced' menu option. As far as I can tell, nobody with this phone does. Opti V has a different custom menu and finding how to change to 1024MB partition appears to be impossible from this menu... You said you didn't want to root the phone, etc... Did you install another menu or something so you could do the needed recovery??? If not, what was your work-around? Hope you're still around (over one year later). Thanks, in advance.

Jerrbearpdx

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
mngl1500-
Hi... Saw your post on how you repartioned your SD card so you could move your apps there, and I may want to follow your lead (over a year later, if this reaches you). One thing though. You gave this suggested instruction to someone who didn't want to make a lot of fancy changes to their Opti V. But you mentioned your own Opti V was rooted. Into order to follow your lead am I gonna have to root the phone first? I don't realy want to go there, but if I have to, it might be fun... but if I can do what you did with out the extra step of rooting it sure would be great. Hope this finds you... Thanks in advance. :)

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
mngl1500-
Hi... Saw your post on how you repartioned your SD card so you could move your apps there, and I may want to follow your lead (over a year later, if this reaches you). One thing though. You gave this suggested instruction to someone who didn't want to make a lot of fancy changes to their Opti V. But you mentioned your own Opti V was rooted. Into order to follow your lead am I gonna have to root the phone first? I don't realy want to go there, but if I have to, it might be fun... but if I can do what you did with out the extra step of rooting it sure would be great. Hope this finds you... Thanks in advance. :)

You well have to root your V in order to us anything that utilizes an sdcard partition.

foracco

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Q: Is there a way to increase the RAM/ROM without rooting?
I have LG Optimus V and the $25 plan. :cool:

I am new to Android forum but can work with stuff. So, do I HAVE to root in order to expand my RAM, partition and do the steps described below?

OK guys since gingerbread is on its way for the opti s I did not want to mess arround and install a custom rom and mess arround with recovery mode to make a 1 gig partition on my 32 gig memory card.

Steps I did:
0) backup your apps using titanium
1) on your windows computer install EaseUS Partition Master home edition (since this version is free)
2) connect driod to the computer in usb storage mode
3) backup your memory card to the computer just in case
4) leave the driod connected to the computer and launch EaseUS Partition Master home edition and create a new PRIMARY partion on the end of your existing partition and make it fat32. It needs to be fat32 because I did not install a custom rom!
5) disconect the driod from the computer
6) install from market place link2sd
7) make sure you reenable usb debug mode
8) you may or may not need to reboot the driod I can not remember even how many times I rebooted it trying ext2 and not creating the new partition as primary
9) start link2sd and tell it your partion is fat32 and let it reboot your driod so it makes the mount script
10) start link2sd and move an app and test it. The first app I moved was facebook.

Again this was done on a stock rom opti v that was rooted and the only other thing I have done was remove some of the bloat crapware.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily. You can clean your caches (including internet cache, download, and market cache and the browsers cache) and download and run Fast Reboot when phone gets sluggish (safely releases 15-20MB of RAM)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Gpd54

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Q: Is there a way to increase the RAM/ROM without rooting?
I have LG Optimus V and the $25 plan. :cool:

I am new to Android forum but can work with stuff. So, do I HAVE to root in order to expand my RAM, partition and do the steps described below?

A clearer, more complete description and guide to partitioning your sdcard for storage, sd-ext, and swapfile partitions can be found here. I tried it and it essentially seems to work fine. If you do create three partitions, as it describes, your swap partition will likely be: /dev/block/mmcblk0p3, not necessarily what the guide says.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The recovery's for the V do the best job of making the partition and swap partition.
Then ZenGarden even has an option to allow you to switch to an ext.4 format and format back to ext.3 if need be.
There pretty much fool proof and are better/suggested by me, for 8GB cards and up.

With the ZenGarden recovery the SD card never has to be taken out of the phone, just need to transfer data on SD card to computer during the partitioning part. No need for Mini Tool Partitioning Wizard at all.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
A clearer, more complete description and guide to partitioning your sdcard for storage, sd-ext, and swapfile partitions can be found here. I tried it and it essentially seems to work fine. If you do create three partitions, as it describes, your swap partition will likely be: /dev/block/mmcblk0p3, not necessarily what the guide says.

Curiosity got me. So I checked out your link. Was so intrigued by the Swapped 2 that I'm now using it.
Haven't noticed a huge difference yet in app performance , except for a noticeable improvement in my touch capacitance on my screen. My finger really glides across, being repelled by the screen better than ever. Scrolling speed is way better as well.
Thanks for link.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie