Solid answer on Rom Manager (Premium)

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I am a noob. I actually somehow got my phone rooted after much headache ;b. Then I got superuser, titanium backup, and a few other things. I then got rom manager and paid for premium. Regardless of what I do no premium roms every show up. Is this because there are no premium roms supported for froyo 2.2.1? If not then what am I doing wrong and if so can I upgrade to gingerbread on the phone [if so point me to the best forum explanation on that please].

This has been my first droid, first touch screen, and my knowledge of linux base stuff is very small. The app itself says that others have had issues and to be sure to have version 4.0 or greater of the app and 1.0.7 of the license. Well I just bought it 8 hours ago but don't see where to check the license info but it should be up to date and the app is 4.3.3.0.

Any help appreciated.

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing Rom Manager is good for with the optimus V is to flash the recovery. With ROM's, Rom Manager is not compatible with the Optimus even though it has it listed. First advise I would give a noob is to read and read some more before doing anything. There are plenty of threads here showing you step by step how to root and to flash a ROM. Good luck and read!! ;)

Edit: About the ROMs, read the sticky in this forum by mmarz, it shows you the ROMs both Froyo and Gingerbread and a lot of other things.

Last edited:

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
There are no roms for our phone in rim manager. You have to flash them manually through recovery.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
There are no roms for our phone in rim manager. You have to flash them manually through recovery.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Which to be honestly, is the best way anyhow.
You know you have the file, you know where it is.

Flash your recovery from in the system, flash the rom from recovery. You always have one system working this way.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have Busybox installed(you can find an installer in the Market),and have the proper flash_image installed to /system/bin on phone( you can find it and ClockWorkMod recovery v3.2.0.1 and the commands for installing them as well here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html ), then ROM Manager(version 4.3.2.4 or up) will allow you to do the following things:
1. Flash ClockWorkMod recovery v3.2.0.1
2. Use "Install ROM from SD Card" to install an update of an existing ROM,install a kernel,install a theme(it will only allow you to wipe cache partition and dalvik cache). Never use to actually install a new ROM.
3. Manage and restore backups. You can delete and even rename(it will get the md5sum right when you do) a backup. Example: 2011-08-13.21.05.24 to BACKside-build#08102011
4. Fix permissions
5. Partition SD Card(I have not personally used this,but was informed by some one who had, that it works)

Sorry yogi4,didn't mean to look like I was trying to one up you. You know how I am. Sorry again.

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on rom manager, I don't like the cwm it installs, and it doesn't save any tim. Especially with custom roms you can just reboot in to recovery just by using the poeer button

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on rom manager, I don't like the cwm it installs, and it doesn't save any tim. Especially with custom roms you can just reboot in to recovery just by using the poeer button
The ClockWorkMod v3.2.0.1 that is found in ROM Manager is the only CWM recovery that will work for our phone and the new IHO CM7 ROM's.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The ClockWorkMod v3.2.0.1 that is found in ROM Manager is the only CWM recovery that will work for our phone and the new IHO CM7 ROM's.

I use cwm 3.0.2.8 and it works perfectly, 3.2.0.1 kept not mounting sdext for me, I did a fat32 partition that I did with gparted and it wouldn't work with that, so I did a ext3 with
Cwm 3.2.0.1 and same problems, so I rolled back to 3.0.2.8 and things were working again. It even suggests 3.0.2.8 on the IHO opening post

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Half expected some people to say some negative things about my noobness. Alright I am going to read the links on booting into recovery and try a flash. Is there an easy guide to fixing your phone if you break it doing this the first time wrong because there is a good chance it will be done wrong. Also suggested stable roms to try for the new guy? Anyway going go read those questions are probably answered in other threads. Thanks for all the replies folks.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Harmonia Is a good starting point. As long as you make a back up, and don't do a factory reset from the phones settings, any mistakes you make will be a simple fix

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I use cwm 3.0.2.8 and it works perfectly, 3.2.0.1 kept not mounting sdext for me, I did a fat32 partition that I did with gparted and it wouldn't work with that, so I did a ext3 with
Cwm 3.2.0.1 and same problems, so I rolled back to 3.0.2.8 and things were working again. It even suggests 3.0.2.8 on the IHO opening post
I apologize! Although It is the only CWM that works for our phone that can be flashed with ROM Manager, There are other versions like the asop versions that will work,and Blarf's recovery(works on some phones, but didn't on mine). I myself am using asopCWM recovery v3.0.2.4. Sorry for opening my mouth before putting brain in gear. Not usually something I do. I do manage to get the whole shoe store in there when I do.

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
That isn't even in the menu anymore.
'
About once a week you see a noob on here saying they did it, I just thaught i would through it out there for common knowledge. Another great piece of advice, you are always going to get nothing but the best when it comes to Leslie's work

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
'
About once a week you see a noob on here saying they did it, I just thaught i would through it out there for common knowledge. Another great piece of advice, you are always going to get nothing but the best when it comes to Leslie's work

Not always, I have done my share of mess-ups, but thanks. :)

Bumblebee lacks this as well.

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Well here is the update. I got harmonia installed and really like it. I have only really one question at the moment. What overclocker do you use? I have setcpu pro but willing to switch. Curious on your suggested settings. Thanks.

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Set cpu is really good. It allows you to make several profiles

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Alright based on the phone and the rom can you give me your suggested profiles? I have never set it up before. Or if that would take to long point me to a good thread on how to do it without blowing ones phone up ;b. Thanks.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Alright based on the phone and the rom can you give me your suggested profiles? I have never set it up before. Or if that would take to long point me to a good thread on how to do it without blowing ones phone up ;b. Thanks.

To be honest the OV doesn't benefit from the use of profiles. In most cases the OV is better on battery life just leaving it at one frequency.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Alright then so with a max overclock of 864 with harmonia what do you suggest for max min? Was basically trying to get a suggested value ;b.

Not all OVs can run at the same overclocked freq.

I would start at 806 and do a stress test or a long benchmark like the one from cpu master. If it crashes and reboots set it one step lower till u can run it with out a crash. If it does not crash try upping it to 825. During this test don't check apply at boot. That way u will not get into a boot loop of the phone crashing on boot.

After finding a stable freq to use I like using the freq one step under the max usable. IMO this helps reduce the increased wear that can occur in devices using higher than stock settings and increases stability since the tests we can do don't test everything making crashes still possible.

I have 2 OVs I test with mine and my wife's. Mine can run 825 and pass all the tests but still can crash with NESoid once in awhile so I set it to 806 and it never crashes. My wife's OV runs at 768 with NESoid only crashing when set to 787 but can pass the tests at 806.

Sorry I can't just give u a set freq to use but I hope the example helps. My MIN/MAX always match and I use interactive with froyo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance