[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
maybe unplug and replug your phone to see if it catches the driver it missed.
what it really needs is the android debug bridge driver (adb) and it probably got that.
try opening a command line shell at the platform-tools folder of your android sdk so you can use adb.
then, copy a recovery.img to that folder... currently I'd advise the xionia recovery since you got bootlooped.
you can then type the following in the command line:
Code:
adb shell strings /dev/mtd/mtd8
adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8
adb reboot recovery
let it reboot, then try to install the xionia recovery with the following:
Code:
adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
adb push xionia_cwma_125186.img /sdcard/
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_125186.img
exit
if you don't get any errors, then type
Code:
adb reboot recovery
and you should be able to flash a newer rom through the recovery like normal, without needing to mess with adb after that.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you mean do you have to use the sdk... not if you google up a standalone adb zip file compilation, but you said earlier you had the sdk, so it's easiest to use that.
you need to open a MS-DOS prompt to use adb, and it needs the directory changed to the sdk's platform-tools folder to run it, unless you know how to set your PATH variable to add the platform-tools folder to the system path. adb's not an installable, just a file to run.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
what is a command line shell? currently i just installed the sdk platform tools and google usb driver package (revision 4) through SDK. i dont know what to do from here...

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
i already have sdk on here and i changed the path to the directory of the sdk folder as well. i tried to insert a couple commands on the command prompt earlier and it said 'device not found'

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
under start menu>accessories>system tools>ms-dos prompt.
you then have to type
Code:
cd \path\to\sdk\platform-tools
where \path\to\sdk\platform-tools is what shows up in the address bar of windows explorer when you open the sdk's platform-tools folder in explorer.
after that, copy the recovery to that folder, and use the adb commands I listed a few posts back.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
i already have sdk on here and i changed the path to the directory of the sdk folder as well. i tried to insert a couple commands on the command prompt earlier and it said 'device not found'

ugh, device not found means adb isn't seeing the phone.
try rebooting the computer, then plugging in the phone again, and try adb again after that.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
and also ive tried all of those command prompts youve given me and its still not working. every other command i type in gives me an error. the only things that shows a noticable reaction is when i do the reboot recovery... the phone restarts, shows the LG logo, then goes blank again.

does ANYONE else have any input so this poor guy doesnt have to be the only one with this burden on his shoulders?

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
ok so im going to show you every prompt you told me to type in followed by the messages that followed afterward:

- FACT_RESET_3

- /sbin/sh: flash_eraseall: not found

adb reboot recovery
- no text (phone just restarts)

-no text

-cannot stat 'xionia_cwma_125186.img': no such file or directory

adb shell
-~#

-failed with error: -1 error opening /sdcard/xionia_cwma_1251686.img

and then back to "~#"

any other suggestions?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ok so im going to show you every prompt you told me to type in followed by the messages that followed afterward:

- FACT_RESET_3
adb is working, and your phone is in a factory reset bootloop. The custom recoveries don't support the factory reset, and just reboot into recovery until you clear mtd8.
- /sbin/sh: flash_eraseall: not found
the flash_eraseall utility is not included in your recovery.
I'll have to dig it out of xionia recovery, it'll take me a bit.
adb reboot recovery
- no text (phone just restarts)
that worked correctly.
-no text
the sdcard mount didn't cause an error, so it's probably mounted.
-cannot stat 'xionia_cwma_125186.img': no such file or directory
the xionia .img is not in the platform_tools directory with adb, or the command prompt is in another directory and adb is in your system path.
adb shell
-~#

-failed with error: -1 error opening /sdcard/xionia_cwma_1251686.img
since it couldn't be pushed, it's not there for flash_image to flash.
and then back to "~#"

any other suggestions?

give me a little bit to find the flash_eraseall, or if you can get the xionia recovery installed with adb, then it has a 'fix bootloop' option, or you can use the adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8 if the menu option fails.
you'll need the xionia .img file in the directory you're running the command prompt from to be able to push it to the sdcard and flash it.
once you get that done, it gets a lot easier.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
idk man, i got Xionia right where it needs to be and it just isnt complying with me... this is tough. definitely making a little progress compared to earlier.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
i definitely did it right because the 'push' and 'flash' both complied with me... multiple lines appeared that read "mtd: successfully wrote block at c2a7800..." but the screen on my phone is still black and the command prompt reads '~#' now... what do i do from here?

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
well bigsupersquid... the journey is over... my phone is back on. thank you SO SO MUCH for all your help throughout this hectic, nerve-racking day! you're a good man squiddy lol!

chacodroid

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi super squid,

Thank you for your postings. I recently purchased a new Optimus V for Virgin. After downloading Gingerbreak and getting root access I downloaded ROM manager premium and backed up the ROM and then flashed to aspoc(?). During the reboot I got stuck on the android logo. Since then I came across this post to unbrick it.

Right now I can get the adb shell to recognize the phone but not see the sd card. I tried your boot method and pulled the card before pressing and holding home, volume up, power. When it boots in to the black screen I put the card back in and run the adb shell. Card still not found.

Suggestions?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
insert the card and
Code:
to mount it.
then follow the recovery flashing instructions.
I suggest the new iho recovery by BobZhome for any current roms... aospCmod is no longer supported.
(like Harmonia or harmonious bumblebee, for froyo, or an inferior human organs ROM for gingerbread.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech