[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

isssacbourne

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
alright man, i definitely think we're almost there. i flashed that recovery zip in clockworkmod, and then rebooted recovery and what happened was, it turned off, came back on, and then the new recovery loaded up but instead of displaying recovery options/etc, it automatically said:

Android Recovery
Do not pull out battery!

...formatting data
...formatting cache
...factory reset

and then it loads up CM7. so i was like huh? phone booted up fine (thank god), and then i was curious why the recovery hadn't booted up and gone straight to the rom. so i rebooted into recovery and the same thing as above happens. and not only just when booting into recovery, every time you turn the phone on and off. yeah....lol.
i appreciate all the help man.

isssacbourne

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
god damnitt, erghhh, i tried to fix it myself, so i tried using adb to install some different recoveries and then see if they would boot up without wiping my data every single time. and that wasn't really working

so i tried flashing this recovery img (in adb):
iho-vm670-X-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img

and then flashing this recovery zip in the iho recovery:
Xionia_CWMA_12518.6_VM_Recovery-signed

and then after that i also flashed this kernel:
xionia_kernel_013_bootimg_OptimusV_signed

Now what happens is, the phone boots up and does that thing where it says "android recovery, formatting system, cache, factory reset, etc" and it just shows the lg logo and its stuck on that. and every time i pull the battery and try to use the recovery key combo it just keeps saying the same thing and and getting stuck on the LG logo. ughhh, i should'a just waited for you to post back....

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
xionia_kernel_013_bootimg_OptimusV_signed
oooo, that's a no-no, unless you're using a stock Froyo ROM.
You need the AnyKernel version of Xionia, or your ROM won't boot (unless you're using a stock or mostly-stock ROM.)

As far as your reboot problem:
from mmarz, this thread...
If you still have the boot loop or if you were already on Xionia and reinstalling it doesn't fix it, try these commands with adb:

Code:
adb shell strings /dev/mtd/mtd8
adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8

zefie mentioned back when he was devving for this phone that those commands should work.
you have to 'spam' them in adb, paste 'em over and over as the phone is rebooting until they take, and it says done or ok or whatever it says other than device not present.

I had my phone go into the same kind of bootloop way back, but at least I could see my screen :p

after the bootloop is broken you can install whichever of those recoveries from the OP that you want.

Last edited:

isssacbourne

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
oooo, that's a no-no, unless you're using a stock Froyo ROM.
You need the AnyKernel version of Xionia, or your ROM won't boot (unless you're using a stock or mostly-stock ROM.)

As far as your reboot problem:
from mmarz, this thread...

zefie mentioned back when he was devving for this phone that those commands should work.
you have to 'spam' them in adb, paste 'em over and over as the phone is rebooting until they take, and it says done or ok or whatever it says other than device not present.

I had my phone go into the same kind of bootloop way back, but at least I could see my screen :p

after the bootloop is broken you can install whichever of those recoveries from the OP that you want.

Hey, so I spammed those commands using adb on startup, and eventually it seemed to work. After that I used adb to flash the recovery xionia cwm, the recovery with the blue text. It worked! Then in that recovery, I reinstalled the cm7 rom and I also used the option fix boot loop and then restarted the phone. Booted up without any problems and no boot loop!

I was never really a gingerbread fan, so I decided to go back to froyo and I flashed the rodimus rom. Immediately after I flashed the xionia any kernel, and rebooted. Everything went fine and still no boot loop!

I assume every time I flash a new rom I'll have to flash the xionia any kernel? Just want to clarify. Thanks a lot though big squid, you really helped me out.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
...snip...
I assume every time I flash a new rom I'll have to flash the xionia any kernel? Just want to clarify...

yep.
unless people start either building a kernel patched with the new video drivers specifically for the optimus v, or build a xionia kernel into a custom rom like emuzombie did. If so, I'm sure they'll label it so you know the kernel swap isn't necessary.

isssacbourne

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
yep.
unless people start either building a kernel patched with the new video drivers specifically for the optimus v, or build a xionia kernel into a custom rom like emuzombie did. If so, I'm sure they'll label it so you know the kernel swap isn't necessary.

Aright man well thanks for all your help!

Diablo2k

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I installed recovery from the instructions from here,

[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums

I then installed the Rom from here,
xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

Now I have a problem I have not seen anywhere else. After booting into the system I can not click/touch anything, I am stuck at the "Touch the android to begin" screen, but I when I touch the Android nothing happens.

I also made a huge mistake and forgot to back up the stock Rom, so I am kinda stuck sense the normal stock Rom wont work with the newer phones, or will it?

At least I don't have to rely on this phone yet, I got a little time to get this fixed.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I installed recovery from the instructions from here,

[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums

I then installed the Rom from here,
xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

Now I have a problem I have not seen anywhere else. After booting into the system I can not click/touch anything, I am stuck at the "Touch the android to begin" screen, but I when I touch the Android nothing happens.

I also made a huge mistake and forgot to back up the stock Rom, so I am kinda stuck sense the normal stock Rom wont work with the newer phones, or will it?

At least I don't have to rely on this phone yet, I got a little time to get this fixed.
Wipe everything but sdcard. Then do it again. Then once more. Reflash the rom and see if the issue is gone.

Reactions: Diablo2k

Diablo2k

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Wipe everything but sdcard. Then do it again. Then once more. Reflash the rom and see if the issue is gone.

ok, did that, did some more looking around and think I had the wrong version of Gapps. I downloaded the one for CM7 but now it wont install. Phone is otherwise working fine now, but is kinda useless w/o Gapps.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Still a no go. :( Google search is showing up, but no other Google Apps.

Diablo you just installing the rom and gapps right?
This appears to be what happens when I forget to disable data2ext and flash a rom. But I dont think your running that are you?

When you wipe are you using the automated in recovery or doing it manually? If doing it manually format everything but sdcard and sd-ext. Then do it again just for good measure. It really sounds like your getting a corrupted download from somewhere.

Diablo2k

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes those are the only 2 things I am installing. I am doing a manual wipe after doing the auto wipe. I downloaded Gapps from a differant source and still a no go.

Damn, why couldn't I have remembered to do a stock back up :(

This last install of Gapps the market icon is showing up on screen but it doesn't work. no apps other than Google Explorer are showing in the app drawer.

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
you got a custom recovery installed, right?
try adb shell while booted into recovery. that should allow su.
to boot into recovery, unplug the phone and power off by pulling the battery. put the battery back and press and hold home+volume up, then press and hold power as well until the silver lg fades to black.
then wait about 10-20 seconds, plug in the phone to the pc, and try adb shell again. you'll have to add a line after su.
Code:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard

if that doesn't work, try pulling the sd card before booting into recovery.
then put it in after booting to recovery, and try the adb commands again, including the added mount line.
it sounds like su is missing from your rom.

I just installed a recovery using ROM manger and i have the black screen problem. I tried to get adb working when phone is on and sfter su it says access denied when i try the above method it says device not attached. Terminal Emulator gets su no problem but i cant see it barely on my phone and prefer to use adb...any suggestions?
Thanks

Edit- Fixed my own problem...had to "allow" ADB in superuser on my device.....duh ;P im not use to commands..sorry
--Just installed xionia 125186 using adb and now it boots into recovery with no black screen...im going to uninstall ROM manager

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsupersquid

adamis.vazquez

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
OMG!!!!!! You have no idea how much i needed this! I almost cried when I did it through Rom Manager again and got the black screen upon reboot. This was the 2nd phone I went through on this and felt like such a failure. When I read you thread, it was like 3 am and i was on the verge of chucking my phone out. It is 4:52am now and it finally loaded up with the right screen,rom, etc. I thank you sooooooo much for writing this thread and saving me grief,money, and embarassment. Again, thank you!!!:'( :cool:

Diablo2k

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I found a work around for my problem of Gapps not installing. I found a copy of Android Market apk and installed it via file manager then just went to market and started downloading the google apps I thought I would need.

Not really a fix, but hey, it works now.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

cotyce

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
noobing with my phone and installed clockworkmod recovery with in rom manger noticed that it was not loading. so this basically meant i had the newer optimus v. did a dumb noob move and hit factory reset now im completely lost in threads trying to figure out how to restore my shine paper weight so i just wanted to know if this was the guide for me or should i keep looking

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
that's in here somewhere... around post 23 I believe.
xionia recovery and adb commands.
you're in for some hassle but it is repairable if you're patient and follow directions.
good luck.

bluefire_000

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

After trying a few of the step suggested, I'm not stuck at the LG logo screen (before I used to be able to went pass the logo and into a blank screen). Here is what I did:
1) adb remount - didn't work
2) mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
3) cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image - did't work
4) chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
5) mount -o remount,ro /system /system - didn't work
6) flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME-OF-RECOVERY.img - using Xionia_CWMA_12518.6_VM_Recovery-signed.zip = It uncompressed
7) reboot recovery - and I'm stuck at LG logo

No longer able to detect the device and unable to access recovery mode (never able to access recovery mode to begin with anyway). Only able to go into emergency mode.

Any possible way to fix this?

Thanks

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
eww.
unless anyone else has some suggestion, I don't know of anything.
a last ditch suggestion which may well not work:
try pulling the battery for 2 minutes or so, then try a regular poweron and see if adb will connect.

if adb remount failed when you were entering the commands, you probably weren't in su mode, and that's why the remount system and cat flash image failed.
something with the read-only filesystem may have borked your recovery install. it's supposed to be in su mode.
my guess is there's no good way to recover if adb won't see the phone and it won't boot into recovery or a rom either.
sorry :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci