[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
i cant get adb to recognize my phone and i have it in the "recovery" aka black screen am i doing something wrong i have all the drivers (i think) and i followed a guide on the unlockr about how to put adb on my laptop (windows xp) im only 14 and im new to all this because i used super one click then searched forums on how to flash roms and stuff. all of your help is greatly appreciated because i thought i did a full brick

Well my problem was somewhat similar to yours, but I installed android screencast(You need to have JDK and Android SDK installed to run it I think). Then I started my phone in recovery (vol up+home+power) and I plugged it in after and I was able to see my phone on my computer and I installed a compatible rom from there (IHO-Purity-X CM7). I don't know if this will work for you but its worth a try, and it was easy for me to understand and I'm 15 so yeah. Good Luck.

EDIT:
Oh and I also installed a new recovery that I can actually see as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: megakid90

megakid90

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
ok now im gonna download this and try it in the morning ill keep everyone updated so you guys can see how it goes thanks everyone for all your help

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
i have JDK and SDK but im not too sure about the proper drivers do you think you can post a link to them?

I got my drivers through a program LGMobile update that I got linked to through my computer when I first plugged in my device. I believe this is the same program LG VM670 Optimus V Cell Phones & Mobile Phones - LG Electronics US but Im not sure. Basically I installed it and opened it(It might have opened by itself actually) and then pressed install usb drivers then vm670 and downloaded them and installed each .exe file inside the zip folders that pop up.

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have everything installed I plugged my phone in and my laptop didn't recognize it so idk what to do now

Make sure you boot into recovery (vol up+home+power) or (vol down+home+power) and wait 10 seconds before you plug in. Run adb devices to see if adb recognizes your devices. When you plug your phone in go to Devices and Printers and see which drivers recognize the phone.

ihak.droid

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey bud Im stuck with this optimus s and it wont leave the recovery. I have tried many compatible romsand recoveries to try and make it boot but it always goes backto recovery

Any suggestions?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey bud Im stuck with this optimus s and it wont leave the recovery. I have tried many compatible romsand recoveries to try and make it boot but it always goes backto recovery

Any suggestions?

wrong forum, if you have an os instead of an ov...
you can look on the sprint side of the optimus forums here, and look for zefie's unbrick thread or the several "revert baseband" threads for hard-flashing instructions. I bet hard flashing the firmware on your OS would fix it. If you dare... but it's kinda borked anyway, eh?
also, fenrix was nice enough to share the ls670.dll he found somewhere, if you'd rather use the legitimate LGNPST instead of kdz or kp500 (my ov didn't like those last two at all) since the official PST works a lot cleaner in my opinion. you have to use kp500 or something to get the .bin and other files out of the firmware .cab for the PST, but that's not that bad.
the firmwares are linked in the revert baseband threads, as are kp500 and kdz. you can google up the LGNPST if you want that, it's around.

Last edited:

albeit

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, ate my reply.

Sorry for newb question, but I'm stumped. I rooted and flashed a ROM on my Gtab in about 30 minutes. I can't figure out why I've been fighting this phone for over 5 hours.

Here's where I am:

1. Rooted with Gingerbreak-- no problems
2. Tried the ROM manager method of flashing recovery-- black screen of doom
3. Followed old-fashioned method from this thread and loaded all the components onto sdcard via PC. I left them all as .zip files. Was I supposed to extract anything?
4. After about ten tries, got through step 1 of the adb code
5. Got stuck on step 2 with a continued error of 'no such file exists'
6. Downloaded Root Explorer, manually moved flash_image to /system/bin as suggested in another thread.
7. Continued entering code starting with step 3 and got no errors (I assume if you hit enter and just get another hash tag, that it means the command was executed correctly)
8. Got the black screen again when booting into recovery.
9. Rebooted phone and used Root Explorer to look in /system/bin, but flash_image was no longer there. It's also not in /sdcard. I have no idea where it went.
10. I have remounted to my PC and placed flash_image.zip on the sdcard again.

UPDATE: After some more tinkering, using Root Explorer, I have flash_image moved to system/bin, and it seems to have extracted itself. It's still there after I reboot and is no longer visible in the sdcard folder. Still getting the black screen, though. And it occurred to me that, after I black screened with clockwork mod, I deleted clockwork mod by clicking on the folder from my PC and hitting delete. That probably didn't actually uninstall it, though, huh? If that's my problem, how do I fix it, when the folder is not on the sdcard anymore?

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something? Using incorrect files? I'm at a complete loss, and I don't want to keep trying the same things over and over again if I'm going to eventually lose the ability to even boot into stock ROM.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
flash_image isn't zipped.
anything in the OP that's zipped should stay that way, everything else should have the right file extension (or none, like flash_image)
you need to
Code:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/RecoveryFileName.img
replace RecoveryFileName with whichever you are trying to install.

if it tells you 'permission denied' then you need to
Code:
su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/flash_image
and then try the flash_image recovery again.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks. I had the black recovery screen & used the android screencast method & got it up & running again. Running Bumblebee rom & couldn't be happier.
Thanks for all your hard work!

Reactions: bigsupersquid

albeit

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'm a little confused, though. I suspected that flash_image was not supposed to be zipped, but either I'm downloading the wrong file, because they are all zipped when I get them, or there's something missing on my comp, because I tritried to extract it, and I got an error. Is there another place to get it from or a way to extract it before I move it to the sdcard? (Or is this one of those cases where it's only given that file extension for downloading purposes and I can just rename it without the zip extension?)

I think I got the rest right. I didn't get any errors,anyway. Thanks again!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you're getting the files from my 4shared folder as linked in the first post, flash_image has no extension and the recoveries either end in .zip if they're installable through another custom recovery or in .img if installable with flash_image.
if they're downloading with different extensions I'd blame it on your browser or maybe you're getting them somewhere else.

Reactions: albeit

scotcha1

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

First time poster...reading for the last 3-4 hours and have been flashing Android roms for awhile. Tried playing with my wife's new Optimus V and seemed to have made some mistakes.

1) I disabled USB Debug mode when I was having some issues (slow downs, figured it was related)
2) Post LG Boot screen is black where it would go to "Clockwork Recovery'

So basically I can't do anything by ADB, and I can't see what's going on post LG screen. Any suggestions how to get things back to NORMAL? I did do a Clockwork backup prior to all of this, but no idea how to use it without seeing the options.