[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
please help. rooted with gingerbreak and it kept saying busy box was already installed and wouldn't go past the first screen. i have clockwork mod and backed it up but after finding out the newer devices get the black screen i tried to download emu zombies ROM which doesn't need another kernel but idk where to put it or how to get it to work since recovery is still black. I'm not doing a lot of things right and its so frustrating. I've been aimlessly searching on the internet all night.

IM SO LOST! please help I'm tired of taking the battery out. even if i have to unroot and start over, someone give me a play by play because i can't figure it out otherwise :/

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
please help. rooted with gingerbreak and it kept saying busy box was already installed and wouldn't go past the first screen. i have clockwork mod and backed it up but after finding out the newer devices get the black screen i tried to download emu zombies ROM which doesn't need another kernel but idk where to put it or how to get it to work since recovery is still black. I'm not doing a lot of things right and its so frustrating. I've been aimlessly searching on the internet all night.

IM SO LOST! please help I'm tired of taking the battery out. even if i have to unroot and start over, someone give me a play by play because i can't figure it out otherwise :/

Try installing a newer recovery or a xionia recovery as listed on page 1 of this thread, using the Android Screencast method(also listed on page 1 as "the easy way". It was very easy for me. I just followed the direction listed here & on the Screencast page(google it) & it worked great.

Reactions: rannug

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
okay thank you I'm going to try again now, but I'm on a macbook pro, anything i should know?

Screencast says it will work on osx.
Follow instructions on screencast site to install, download the proper files, & it should work with the correct recoveries listed on page 1. I am currently using current Bobzhome iho rom with my newer OV, & I have no problems now (except I can't overclock, but no biggie, luck of the draw).
you will most likely have to remove the SD card and use a card reader on your Mac to put the recovery and rom on the card

Last edited:

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
i don't have any problem putting things onto my phone from the computer but it seems i don't know how to do it flash it. i want to flash the same rom as you but i can't get it to work. i downloaded the recovery and used the terminal emulator but it was still black screen. am i missing something? this is so frustrating as I've spent hours on this now. my phone is rooted and busy box is working. i uninstalled rom manager and clockwork and now have rom toolbox. hellllppppp:'(

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
and now it won't come out of the black screen at all. does the boot animation then just black. -_-

you should be able to use adb if it gets to the boot animation.
I'm not sure if there is an adb binary for mac osx, you'll have to google it to see. (well, there must be something if screencast works)
You can use adb just like terminal emulator except it's easier to type and cut&paste.
you'll have to use flash_image, you may have gotten a bad recovery flash earlier.
also, if you installed a different recovery than one of those linked on page 1 of this thread, you can use android screencast to flash a different recovery zip file from the existing recovery. If it's a bad recovery flash instead of an incompatible recovery, screencast won't do you any good at this point, it won't be able to connect.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
adb is used from a command line utility, like msdos on intel-type pc's, or some sort of terminal on linux os's.
mac os is based on unix so you should be able to find some type of terminal program.
you plug in the phone to the mac, open the terminal program on the mac, change to the directory with the adb binary, and type
Code:
adb shell
to get access to the phone's shell. there are instructions to flash recoveries with adb in the first post of this thread once you get it to connect to the phone.

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
the computer won't even recognize that the phones plugged in. debugging was on before but now I'm just stuck with the black screen. it cycles through the logo and the animation. but screencast is useless if it won't recognize my device

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
so for a recap, i have a black screen that is useless, the mac won't recognize it because i was something i had to click on the phone after i plug it in, but i can't now. taking the battery out is the only way to turn it off. is it bricked for good?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
try to boot into recovery. if it gets there, even if you can't see it, adb and/or screencast should work.
press and hold home+vol down then press and hold power as well until after lg logo goes black. then try screencast or adb.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
What Squid said. Boot into recovery. You will only see the silver lg logo, then black screen. BUT, you can run screencast or adb from there.

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
right. i did. but screencast will not run and i don't know what to do with adb. there aren't any tutorials for mac and I'm beginning to think it can't be done on it from the point I'm at.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
sorry, still won't work. :/ i guess its done for.

Did you download the android sdk for osx?
Did you update all the files it asked for?
Did you install java 5.1 or higher?

Calm down, take a deep breath, & follow all instructions as they are written.

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
yes i downloaded the sdk. the instructions are confusing though because its a link that takes me to a page with windows instructions. and yaah i downloaded java but screencast just says error

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Adb is in the sdk's platform-tools folder.
you won't need Java except for screencast. adb is a standalone.
adb is used from a command line utility, like msdos on intel-type pc's, or some sort of terminal on linux os's.
mac os is based on unix so you should be able to find some type of terminal program.
you plug in the phone to the mac, open the terminal program on the mac, change to the directory with the adb binary, and type
Code:
adb shell
to get access to the phone's shell. there are instructions to flash recoveries with adb in the first post of this thread once you get it to connect to the phone.

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
so, just curious, if i use a card reader and put the recovery on my sd will that work? or perhaps removing the rom? i want really badly to fix it and i thought of that last night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2