MicroSD card question

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
What is the highest class MicroSD card an Optimus V can take? I read somewhere it can take up to a class 6, but I want to make sure before I go and buy a new card. Thanks in advance.

pwis321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
hmm.. not sure but I use an 8gb Class 10 Kingston in my OV and I see little to no difference compared to my 8gb Class 2 Sandisk.

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
LOL yeah. I was reading about them on the net and it wasn't specific as to what would be good for this particular phone. Didn't wanna waste my money on something that won't work.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
it's read&write speed. higher the card the faster.
I think Kingston cards are supposed to be better too.
Although I haven't a clue what the phone can handle,
Mine is a 2, I think, it has a 2 in a circle on it lol
and it does the job.

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks everyone! I guess that 16 GB class 2 card I have my eye on will do the job nicely! :D

Now, when I transfer all the files from one card to another, I can do that on my PC, right? Like, copy all the files from card A onto the PC and then paste them onto card B?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that most phones can't take advantage of the read/write speeds of anything higher than a Class 6. Take that with a grain of salt like any other account that starts with "I read somewhere...".

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
where exactly do we find out what class our card is? I've got a 16GB Sandisk SDHC card...

EDIT: Nevermind. It's right on the card, or at least it is on mine. It's a class 4. :( So no super awesome class 6. lol

Last edited:

blestou

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The class corresponds with the minimum MB/sec transfer ability. I do not know what the MB/sec capability of the OV is - anything higher than that would be wasted ability. I went ahead with a class 10 - it may be more than I need now, but will still be useful in the future. I hate having storage I can't really use...

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The really sad part is what the classes mean. Yes they do stand for a speed but most dont even know. Class 2 will go 2mb/s atleast and a Class 10 will do 10mb/s minimum. But with that said the fact still stands that most class 2 (from name brand reliable vendors) will do 10mb/s alrdy and the avg class 10 u find will do about 16-18mb/s. Now if u find a Class 10 that is really fast 25mb/s or faster u will spend upwards of $100+ for a 16GB microSDHC.

I bought an ADATA 8GB Class 10 microSDHC from newegg.com. The best I can get from it is just under 20mb/s and that is still considered fast. I run a rooted and ROMed OV and use Data2ext with no noticeable speed increase on my phone at all.

Conclusion - If its a bargain SDcard don't relate that to speed at all. The best u will get is near the minimum. The class 2 SDcards will work just fine there is no reason to shell out more for a phone SDcard.

A useful app for seeing ur sd card performance.

https://market.android.com/details?id=ales.veluscek.sdtools&feature=search_result

testshoot

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Finally something I know something about :)

There is a lot of confusion on memory and a common misconception that faster memory makes things faster....it does and it doesn't...it only does is if you put it in something with a faster buss as it will never go faster than the buss it was plugged into was designed for.

Typical phones, even with HD camcorder options don't need anything faster than Class 4, maybe Class 6 worse case with 1080p. If your memory is too slow, it will puke, fast enough, it will run fine, faster than needed, no change in performance.

The Class 10 cards are designed for highspeed camera operation, and when plugged into a USB3 card reader, a faster card will download to a computer faster than a slower card, but here again, a benefit for photographers who are frequently moving mass amounts of files around. I am a professional photographer and shot an awards ceremony last night, over 700 pictures.

The one thing to keep in mind is what I call "future proofing". Even if your current device doesn't need anything faster than Class 4, and if you are buying something bigger like a new Lexar 32GB version, then maybe go Class 10 like I just did. I have the option to use it in a phone or a camera so for my purposes I go with faster memory.

When I bought a Kodak "flip" style video camera that can do 1080p, I talked to a Kodak engineer who said Class4 was fine...and a phone with 1080p would have the same data needs, i.e. class 4 is fine.

If you go too slow, you will have problems...