Did anybody happen to notice a system update is availiable

houckinternet

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In Settings\About Phone\SW Update there is an update ready for my phone. Can't try as I'm not stock. It will cause recovery bootloop if not a stock recovery.:'(

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
In Settings\About Phone\SW Update there is an update ready for my phone. Can't try as I'm not stock. It will cause recovery bootloop if not a stock recovery.:'(

Good luck with that.
LG and Virgin have no clue how/don't want to upgrade these phones.

If they did, we would all have 2.2.2, if they do get GB for the OV, it will come on new models, not as an update. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Virgin Mobile has zero interest in upgrading the Optimus V. They want to sell phones as well as service. Offering upgrades to phones already sold doesn't encourage customers to buy new phones, so they have no motivation to do so.

That being said, I would sure love to eat my words!

Ahh the joys of fragmentation. ;)

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is the ZV5 baseband update from the LG Mobile Support Updater Tool back in May that no one could flash because VM/LG disabled user updates from the updater tool.

Or am I just stupid thinking there's a high possibility that a baseband update wouldn't be applied with an OTA?

I'm going to flash back to stock to try updating (If i can prove an update change from ZV4 to ZV5 baseband versions. I think flashing that official 2.2.2 update changed the baseband version from 4 to 5 without really updating it.)

I can't check the baseband version now because CM7 shows it as unknown.

I don't really think there's a chance of my phone becoming non rootable. Since its official I don't see much of a risk.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is the ZV5 baseband update from the LG Mobile Support Updater Tool back in May that no one could flash because VM/LG disabled user updates from the updater tool.

Or am I just stupid thinking there's a high possibility that a baseband update wouldn't be applied with an OTA?

I'm going to flash back to stock to try updating (If i can prove an update change from ZV4 to ZV5 baseband versions. I think flashing that official 2.2.2 update changed the baseband version from 4 to 5 without really updating it.)

I can't check the baseband version now because CM7 shows it as unknown.

I don't really think there's a chance of my phone becoming non rootable. Since its official I don't see much of a risk.
If it works, please grab the update from the cache... I could use the radio for repair and further experimentation.
i don't think anyone's captured a VM update yet.
my zv5 optimus is missing fastboot access, fyi.

Growjunky

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the stock recovery and stock rom unrooted and it still says im up to date. Got any ideas where to get the update and manually flash it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the stock recovery and stock rom unrooted and it still says im up to date. Got any ideas where to get the update and manually flash it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Well tapatalk says your on a sprint phone so that is the problem this is for the Virgin phone.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If it works, please grab the update from the cache... I could use the radio for repair and further experimentation.
i don't think anyone's captured a VM update yet.
my zv5 optimus is missing fastboot access, fyi.

I couldn't pull in the OTA last night tried checkin and it still says no update is available.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

matthewrknoll

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not an OTA. If you have an update.zip on your SD's root, your phone will think there is an "update" available for it. Also, Leslie, I think Virgin will put a Gingerbread update out eventually. I used to have the Intercept, which shipped with 2.1. About 6 months after Sprint's Intercepts got the Froyo update, they rolled an OTA out to all the VM Intercepts, too.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not an OTA. If you have an update.zip on your SD's root, your phone will think there is an "update" available for it. Also, Leslie, I think Virgin will put a Gingerbread update out eventually. I used to have the Intercept, which shipped with 2.1. About 6 months after Sprint's Intercepts got the Froyo update, they rolled an OTA out to all the VM Intercepts, too.

Its been stated there is no way for them to OTA push it. They broke that function for some reason. Its like they disabled it like custom romers do so it wouldnt pick of a update and bork the rom. /shrug

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

So there really is no real update right now?

And about 2.3 IMO based on the intercept I think about sometime around December or January VM will announce an update, then about three more months later it will actually get sent out as an OTA.

You have to see it from VM's perspective as they're probably thinking something like "What the heck are these people gonna do with Gingerbread that they can't already do with Froyo?" The point is VM sees absolutely no reason for an update so why would they bother with it.
That's crazy because I'm on the optimus v.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

It will show LS670 if you were ever on a Sprint based ROM and restored the app data for Tapatalk.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
You have to see it from VM's perspective as they're probably thinking something like "What the heck are these people gonna do with Gingerbread that they can't already do with Froyo?" The point is VM sees absolutely no reason for an update so why would they bother with it.

I'd have to agree with you there. Since they're one of the cheaper carriers, they're not going to give us much unless it fixes something that was broken. I'm perfectly fine with Froyo, however native GB for the V (instead of a port) would be nice...maybe something to think about when the OV does get GB. haha

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I think you are quite wrong there.

I went over this in a prior thread, and there is plenty of evidence to back me up on this.
They have said GB will come to the OV, they did NOT say it would be an update to current phones.

Did you get the 2.2 update? Nope, only if you buy a new phone.
Did you get the radio update? Nope, only if you buy a new phone.
Have you ever gotten a PRL update? Nope, only if you buy a new phone. (Virgin has stated they have no way to even do this).

Finally, several have asked LG and Virgin about the "update" and one person spent HOURS with Lg engineers. There is an update, but no one knows how to put it on the phone.

If you want GB, root and put IHO on it, then wait for the official GB, which someone will make an installer for. That is the only way your phone will likely get it.

Reactions: Eollie

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
If you want GB, root and put IHO on it, then wait for the official GB, which someone will make an installer for. That is the only way your phone will likely get it.

I wouldn't even touch a stock VM ROM again, GB or not. When I had installed Harmonia 1.3 over the stock Froyo, it was like driving a Corvette after getting off a Cavalier. IHO is the last ROM for me on this phone.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't even touch a stock VM ROM again, GB or not. When I had installed Harmonia 1.3 over the stock Froyo, it was like driving a Corvette after getting off a Cavalier. IHO is the last ROM for me on this phone.

Agreed, that was how many felt with even the earliest roms like Stock+ Xionia. It was like you got a major phone upgrade. I can't imagine going from stock to Harmonia though, as it would be an even bigger jump than I saw. It's amazing how bad the stock rom is.

I also agree, IHO will probably be my last rom on this phone. As much as I like it, I do want to upgrade to the Black. The OV will have served me for just under a year by the time the OB is here. However, I won't say I will change for sure though. The size is still a bit of a concern for me, I plan to buy one and see if I like it.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What exactly does the updated radio even do? For the most part I'm thinking that I'll just wait until GB comes out on the OV (or when the OB comes to VM) and then sell the OV I have now, getting the new radio and GB, or getting a new phone. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol