Google voice issues...

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So I installed google voice and initially I had the problem of it not being able to detect my phone number. So I added it manually on my pc...and then it gave me the error about virgin not being a supported carrier for voicemail. That's not the issue. The problem is I'm not getting message updates without manually going and opening voice and refresh. I also tried to send a test text from my virgin mobile number to my google voice number and it never shows up? What's going on here?? I have backround data enabled in both my phone settings and google voice.

Also...is there any workaround for using google voice as your voicemail instead of virgin's?

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same problem when I first got my OV and installed Google Voice.

I've found the only thing that works is to force close it and re-open it. Then it would refresh for me and I'd get updates.

Also you need background data enabled and notifications enabled (which I think the default is that they are enabled but I'm not positive on that)

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same problem when I first got my OV and installed Google Voice.

I've found the only thing that works is to force close it and re-open it. Then it would refresh for me and I'd get updates.

Also you need background data enabled and notifications enabled (which I think the default is that they are enabled but I'm not positive on that)

I've rebooted several times and tried to open and close google voice multiple times and nothing seems to make the notifications show up automatically.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay..so the only thing that's made it change so far is going into google voice's notifications settings and change receive text messages to only use the google voice app. If i have also on the messaging app selected then I do not get audible notifications or notifications on the top of my screen. Very strange?

Edit: Alright I guess I figured it out, turns out when I added my virgin number manually to my google voice account I checked "receive text messages on this phone" and that somehow was messing it up. I unchecked it and now I get notifications for both google voice texts and my regular texts. Although I still find it strange that I cant text my voice number from my virgin number or vice versa.

Last edited:

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Update: So it seems that I'm not only not able to text my own virgin number, but I can't text other friends who have a virgin number either (from google voice)....this could be a problem...any ideas why I'm getting unable to send text message errors when trying to text a message from voice to a virgin number?

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So nobody has problems texting virgin numbers from google voice? That's just me?

This is the error I get:

"(650) 265-1193: Error: this message was not successfully delivered."

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I never try texting myself from google voice, I usefully text from VM to GV. but now that you mention it, I never get the text forwarded if I do that.