SD Card won't mount

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i had removed my sd card to do make a partition using my PC, and i'm not sure what happened, but after I ejected it, my phone said "Blank SD Card". after completing the partition on my PC (everything seemed to go fine), i put the SD card back in and now my OV won't recognize it. when in the phone, the "mount sd card" in settings is grayed out, but if i remove it, the phone will say "blank SD card" again.

any help? i made a back up of my sd card on my pc, so if i need to format it, it's not a huge deal.

thanks in advance for any help.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you try rebooting your phone?
Sometimes but not always if I pull the SD it will not detect it without a reboot
I tested my other sd cards to confirm.
- how did you format your sd card?
I found found my preferrable way to be using the terminal
simply unmount sd in storage then open terminal
$ su
# fdisk -h
the help should guideyou from there.
basically you can specify partitions/types then
write changes and exit.
remount the sd card in storage.
this worked for me.
How wereyou trying to format it?
What program used; platform used; and partition types?

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
i tried rebooting and also mounting the SD card in recovery. what i did was create an ext4 using minitool partition home wizard.

so should i try your terminal emulator trick now? FYI i don't have the option to unmount in storage. it just has "Mount" grayed out

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
You could make sure all your partitions are gone on it. You could also try something like EASEUS Partition manager, meaning to delete all partitions to put it back to default.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you try rebooting your phone?
Sometimes but not always if I pull the SD it will not detect it without a reboot
I tested my other sd cards to confirm.
- how did you format your sd card?
I found found my preferrable way to be using the terminal
simply unmount sd in storage then open terminal
$ su
# fdisk -h
the help should guideyou from there.
basically you can specify partitions/types then
write changes and exit.
remount the sd card in storage.
this worked for me.
How wereyou trying to format it?
What program used; platform used; and partition types?

i tried the Terminal route and i really have no idea what to do, so i didn't go any further.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
update:

i think we're good. i inserted the SD card back in to the PC and i hadn't set the partition to "Primary". when i inserted it back in the phone, it originally said "format" in the status bar, but it doesn't seem like it's formatting.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What Rom are you using? Does it have support for ext4?
When you reinsert your SD card it will not need to REformat the sd card or it will format using its formatting settings not ext4

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
weird....so since i fixed it (and also moved all of my apps to the ext4 successfully), on reboots, my status bar will still say "Format: USB Debugging Connected", but then disappear after a couple of seconds. otherwise, everything else seems to be working just fine.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
hmm, I dunno about that... I keep all my stuff on the phone, there's no need for moving them, the phone has plenty of space unless you have a lot of apps.
Ya know if you burnt yourself a parted magic cd or usb like I recently have it would make partitioning a lot easier, great GUI with gparted.
Someone else might know more about the Rom and your issue

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks again. i'm not too concerned because everything seems to be working really well, and the "format" notification only appears for about 2 seconds after a reboot.

i'll check out gparted for the future though.

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I find myself in a similar boat as the OP. Within recovery I created an ext partition to install apps2ext via this thread's tutorial: Data2ext CyanogenMOD - UPDATE 26/01/11 - xda-developers

Something got botched along the way and it didn't end entirely successfully. Decided to just revert the SD card back to original setup and be done with it. I used to EASEUS partition manager to wipe and make the card 1 partition again. Then formatted it within my Windows 7 PC. Put the card back into the phone and it won't mount it. Doesn't read it in recovery mode either. Tried rebooting after putting the card in, inserting it while phone was powered off, and re-formatted a few times just in case. Nothing seems to be working. Have a couple of 2Gb cards laying around that the phone reads just fine. Would love to get my 4Gb back online so I can have enough space for my music too. Any ideas?

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I find myself in a similar boat as the OP. Within recovery I created an ext partition to install apps2ext via this thread's tutorial: Data2ext CyanogenMOD - UPDATE 26/01/11 - xda-developers

Something got botched along the way and it didn't end entirely successfully. Decided to just revert the SD card back to original setup and be done with it. I used to EASEUS partition manager to wipe and make the card 1 partition again. Then formatted it within my Windows 7 PC. Put the card back into the phone and it won't mount it. Doesn't read it in recovery mode either. Tried rebooting after putting the card in, inserting it while phone was powered off, and re-formatted a few times just in case. Nothing seems to be working. Have a couple of 2Gb cards laying around that the phone reads just fine. Would love to get my 4Gb back online so I can have enough space for my music too. Any ideas?

The sdcard must be set as Primary Type other wise the phone well not read it, the same goes for the ext partition.

Reactions: DizzmalDan420

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh, man. I hate overlooking something simple. I noticed the OP stated that but I didn't see the option to do it within Windows where I assumed it'd be, so I thought maybe they were using a different OS and perhaps that didn't apply to me. Just found the option in EASUS. Thanks alot.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Try a utility for Windows called "Boot it" sorry I don't remember the link. Try Googling it. It's designed to fix partitioning and boot problems with flash drive's. Works on Micro SD cads as well.
They might have a Mac version as well?
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue as OP, but I have a Mac and no access to EASUS. :(

Do you know how to use the terminal program on your Mac? If so, you might look at the man page for fdisk and see if it shows you how to set the partition(s) on the sdcard as primary partitions. Don't know if that utility program is avaialble on the Mac but almost all the common ones are. So it's worth a try. No msft required.

There are GUI programs to format disks too but I haven't used my Mac for a couple years so I can't tell you how to navigate to it. Try a Spotlight search for the term 'partitioning'.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol