help restoring a bricked OV!!!

00damedash

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
ok my problem is my OV died while going into recovery mode so now it is in a shiny lg logo boot loop it looks like im going 2 be using it as a christmas light this year anyway im am not able to get to fully boot up not even recovery mode after the 3 button combo only i only can boot into download mode, so my questions are can i issue adb commands in download mode also is there any way to fully restore?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you mean emergency mode for download mode (qpst calls it download mode but the phone screen says lg emergency mode in a huge font,) no, and unfortunately, no.
have you tried adb while it's looping already? if you have a first-gen optimus v with pv5 firmware, you can
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
to get into a blue-screen mode where you can use fastboot to flash a recovery.

if it was an optimus s there is firmware to flash in emergency mode.
the optimus v has a half-ass firmware released by lg which was deliberately crippled for virgin mobile, it won't install without a proprietary .dll file inserted into the firmware. that .dll has never been exposed to the public, according to all the searching I've done.
if you flash the sprint firmware (zv7 or zv9 are easily rootable,) your phone service and sms messaging will work. your data will not, except through wifi, and your mms messaging will not work.
your home and menu buttons will also be permanently reversed during boot, so booting into recovery becomes menu+vol dn+power.
if you had an original pv5 firmware optimus v, you will also lose access to the bootloader (using fastboot.) a pv7 optimus v won't go into the bootloader anyway.
once you flash the sprint firmware, you can never revert to the virgin mobile firmware unless someone working for virgin gets fed up and leaks the firmware in a usable form.

Last edited:
Reactions: 00damedash

00damedash

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
JUST THE PERSON I WAS HOPING TO RESPOND :) im not to sure on which version of the ov i have but i did buy the phone when it 1st came out

00damedash

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
& i tried putting it into bootloader adb replies device not found

i just tried to get some type of help from an lg online chat rep but that ended up in sadness dam! :mad: F virgin mobile

so i have a question does the optimus M have full support ? like if i had a similar problem could i fix it with the propper fimware for that phone?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, lg won't help with anything that requires real tech support. they screech 'you can't do that! your warranty is void! send us your phone, and after we look at it we'll let you know how much it'll cost you to get it fixed, somewhere between $40 and $100!"
dunno about the M.
too bad adb won't talk, that's the easy way to fix it.
I dunno, sounds like you're kinda stuck. did you try the home+vol dn+power and then adb after it blacks out after the silver lg?

a note of caution, if you can't get it to work and get desperate.
be careful if you try to go with the sprint firmware! kdz wouldn't work for me at all, and kp500-utils zeroed my nvitems including the ESN. The only tool I found that worked right was lgnpst with the sprint ls670.dll

00damedash

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
O I forgot to paste the chat i had with the rep maby it might help to where the dll is

Guset:eek:k hello i am a virgin mobile tech have a problem with lg optimus v's fimware (lying my ass off lol)
Guest: it seems that it won't install without a proprietary .dll file inserted into the firmware
Guest: i dont know if the company issued me the wrong file or if the download was incomplete or what
Rep: I apologize for that inconvenience, but seems more that the download was incomplete for some reasons, the softwares uploaded on the mobile support tool does not have .dll files
Rep: basically should be on the Phone operating system
^^i dont kno if that would be a light bulb but i guess it's worth sharing^^

after alot of blahh blahh talk the rep said you can try to call to the 800-793-8896 or 800-243-0000 and ask for tech support for Mobile Communications
which is going to result to what you said they are going to instruct me to send the phone in. i am sooooooo im F**king done with lg when it comes to phone support & i actually thought about buying the slider to....

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, they're full of it.
the file it downloads is a .cab file
the .cab extracts to a .wdh and .wdb, and should have a .dll as well so the .wdh and .wdb can be unpacked into the .bin, .scr, .prl and so on by the updater tool.
if you tell them you captured the file to examine it, they'll just get more confused or PO'd, since the tool deletes the .cab as soon as it determines it can't unpack it fully.
you're not going to get any help from lg without paying them $40-100 for an out-of-warranty repair/replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy