V6 Supercharger Script Test

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a lot of discussion about the V6 Supercharger script and whether it does anything or not. Some swear by it and others claim it is "snake oil" and is just a placebo... I did some comparisons of AnTuTu benchmarks scores on my phone to test the effects of the V6 Superchargers script ot get a better feel for whether or not it helps.

These tests were performed with my LG VM670 running the BobZHome IHO port of CM7.1. Individual results may very depending on Model and ROM.

I ran a series of ten AnTuTu benchmarks under four different circumstances:
1. Processor at 480/748, No V6 Supercharger.
2. Processor at 480/748, No V6 Supercharger, >300Mb mem used (as close to OOM as I could get before apps started closing automatically).
3. Processor at 480/748, V6 Supercharger options 6, 13, and 19 applied.
4. Processor at 480/748, V6 Supercharger options 6, 13, and 19 applied, >300Mb mem used (as close to OOM as I could get before apps started closing automatically).

Before applying the script, running at the edge of OOM had a noticeable negative effect on AnTuTu scores. (see Pre_V6_NormProb.JPG)

After applying the script, running at the edge of OOM had a noticeable POSITIVE effect on AnTuTu scores - like an animal backed into a corner, it fought harder. (see Post_V6_NormProb.JPG)

For a comparison of all four scenarios, see V6_BoxPlot.JPG.

Conclusion: if you are a "power-user" and have multiple apps running at the same time or play games that really tax your memory, this script should cause a noticeable improvement on your performance. If you just use your phone to check email and FB, maybe it's not worth the effort (and you should get yourself on straight-talk )

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up, I used it for about a month and didn't see any difference, but a lot of factors come into play so I may try it again. I always considered it to be a placebo effect, even after seeing your graphs I still believe it is lol.
Good job. Will try again.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
my main criticisms:
- you should probably set the min/max to be 600 as that is the clock speed our chipset was designed for.
- use the performance governor as it keeps the clock speed at your max.
- Antutu or any other benchmarking programs shouldn't mean anything- while they do monitor memory performance (I guess) they also look at read/write performance and CPU speed.
- Monitoring/measuring OOM groupings does mean something as the v6 scripts are specifically for adjusting those. In my tests nothing changed when I use any Supercharger settings.

With how your testing you're introducing governor and clockspeed into the equation. I can't objectively say that wouldn't affect benchmark performance because it would.
Also, the number of apps you have open, which ones, how long they've been open and what they're doing at that time is a picky thing but pertinent. I mean, did you fire up a bunch of random apps or did you start actually playing a game that's running in the background? Throughout an apps use I'd assume memory fluctuates as it's doing it's thing.

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
my main criticisms:
- you should probably set the min/max to be 600 as that is the clock speed our chipset was designed for.
- use the performance governor as it keeps the clock speed at your max.
- Antutu or any other benchmarking programs shouldn't mean anything- while they do monitor memory performance (I guess) they also look at read/write performance and CPU speed.
- Monitoring/measuring OOM groupings does mean something as the v6 scripts are specifically for adjusting those. In my tests nothing changed when I use any Supercharger settings.

With how your testing you're introducing governor and clockspeed into the equation. I can't objectively say that wouldn't affect benchmark performance because it would.
Also, the number of apps you have open, which ones, how long they've been open and what they're doing at that time is a picky thing but pertinent. I mean, did you fire up a bunch of random apps or did you start actually playing a game that's running in the background? Throughout an apps use I'd assume memory fluctuates as it's doing it's thing.

Thank you for the input. I realize that this was not a precisely scientific study. More like observations of a modification that is free for anyone to try.

If I get time, I will run another series of tests with your suggestions in mind. Don't hold your breath, though - I'm up to my a-hole in alligators at work!:confused:

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I here ya. I have about as much interest in these things to satisfy my curiosity to a point. Heck, I don't see a perceivable difference with the v6 scripts but I still run them. I know what they do but I don't think my phone suffers with the issues the script says it helps with.

Last edited: