Specifications for bootanimation.zip on LG VM670

hidgw

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've a rooted LG Optimus V and a working custom bootanimation.zip that someone else made. (It's a spinning coin-like circle with an Android in it, not that the animation itself matters.) Out of the dozen or more animations I've tried downloading, that was the only one that worked.

Now, I'm getting rather tired of it. It's time for a change. I have several other bootanimation.zip files created for other phones (various Motorola and HTC phones, mostly) but they don't work on the OV.

I have taken one of those files and converted the images from JPEG to PNG, and resized them to be 480px tall (leaving them only 288px wide), and I edited desc.txt with the new resolution. I packed the new files into a ZIP on OS X 10.6.8 using `zip -0r bootanimation.zip .` in the folder with desc.txt in it.

Putting my shiny new bootanimation.zip into /system/media results in my OV using the basic Android logotype animation I lived with for 5 months before getting fed up with it. Android seems to be ignoring the new animation. Putting back the one I've had working works just fine.

What can the OV tolerate in its bootanimation.zip files? Do I have to specify "320 480 30" in desc.txt or is "288 480 15" fine? Should I save the PNGs a certain way? Am I packing the ZIP file wrong?

What's confusing to me is the fact that the phone is ignoring the file. If I got a black screen (I've gotten that when trying other animations I've downloaded) I'd understand it. I don't understand the file being ignored completely.

carterdt94

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! I figured out that the bootanimation.zip also needs to be in another folder location that is "/data/local". It also needs to be in the "/system/media" folder as you said. So what I am trying to say is the bootanimation.zip needs to be in both folders which is "/data/local" and "/system/media" for it to work!

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! I figured out that the bootanimation.zip also needs to be in another folder location that is "/data/local". It also needs to be in the "/system/media" folder as you said. So what I am trying to say is the bootanimation.zip needs to be in both folders which is "/data/local" and "/system/media" for it to work!

That's weird. I have successfully changed by boot animation simply by putting it in the /system/media folder.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what android your running. Froyo and Gingerbread have differenr locations for the bootanimation. You also have to make sure you made named it bootanimation.zip

hidgw

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Both folders? That just eats up storage memory on both partitions. That's not the solution here. (I did try it; no dice. Still no new custom animation. My old one works just being in /system/media.)