CM7 with no Rom Manager/Market?

jclark5093

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My first root job (and my first post!)- had my V since they launched back in (feb?) and have been pretty much ok up until now. Now I want faster. And more internal space. SO:

After rooting my V (using this guide here /optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html) I used Rom Manager to download and install I.H.O. Backside (the one released on 11/22/11)

NOW I have no market (I'm assuming this is normal?) Yes, I did my googling and I know I need gapps (google apps?) and I saw that in the RomManager download jawn, but now I have no RomManager. From everything I've been reading, CM7 comes with RomManager... Did I download a barebones rom?

the only way I've been able to do anything (texting and 3G web both work, didn't test anything else) is to restore the backup I made before flashing (had to do it a few times before I realized that I had to not only wipe the dCache but also the other check box for data and somesuch)

Not new to linux, just rooting phones.

So what did I miss, and what do I do now?

Thanks!!!

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
You forgot to flash gapps in recovery. I wouldn't use Rom Manager to install a new rom/kernel at all. Download your favorite Rom/Kernel and gapps, wipe everything in recovery, wipe dalvik cache under advanced options, install your rom, then install gapps.

jclark5093

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, when I clicked the link for AOSP CM7 in the sticky here it says available in RomManager (and couldn't find it elsewhere)

I have no favorite Rom, and there don't seem to be any clear instructions on the order of installing these things - do I flash gapps and the rom at the same time?? How do I do that without a computer? And is there an easy "vanilla" 2.3 rom that is fully functioning that I should use instead of IHO backside?

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
You do everything through recovery, there is no need for a computer to install a new rom/kernel once you rooted your phone.

1. download a rom+kernel and gapps if you are intending to use IHO
2. go into recovery
3. in recovery, wipe data/cache/dalvik cache/system/boot
4. in recovery, install your new rom
5. in recovery, install gapps if your rom is IHO
6. reboot

jclark5093

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
thanks donutdong I'm trying that first, it says it's for CM 7.1.x and I have 7.2 but we'll see (also says android 2.3.5 and I have 2.3.7)

If not, I'll try those steps, demoport - are there non-IHO roms that have gapps? It seems like it would make sense to include gapps in a rom (but again, I'm new to this scene :) )

jclark5093

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
couldn't open zip file

::Oh!:: have to use the rescue mode to install the downloaded zip - guess I ended up doing the same thing in the end anyway!

(This should be added to the sticky with the guide, or the general info sticky in this sub-forum, imo!)

Thanks guys! I think I'm good!! :cool::cool::cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie