**LG Optimus V 2.2.2 Root, Recovery, Rom, + Bonus Tutorial**

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
STANDARD WARNING-- Flashing any custom ROM may semi-brick your phone!
Follow the installation instructions to the letter!
Always backup your apps, and do a backup in recovery before flashing!
This is a WIP (work in progress)
!

Every mod from this guide will void your warranty
. While an unscrupulous person will hide the fact that they modded their phone and request an in warranty exchange in the event of bricking, we know that your are too honest of a person to try such a thing. Realize that bricking and crying may result from any one of these mods. If you depend on your phone, consider the consequences of making your phone inoperable.

Hi everyone,

I have not seen a complete Tutorial out there for Root, Recovery, and installing a rom on the new 2.2.2 Android version Optimus V so....... Here it is--------------------------------------------------->

Special Thanks to: Liquidsword76, bigsupersquid, blarfiejandro, JerryScript, a guest, RevolutionRed , and mmarz.

P.s. Just say NO to Rom Manager! ;)

If you have not yet activated your phone with virgin mobile and you plan on doing so, do it before you flash anything. Activation needs done on the stock rom. :)

Sorry, I'm to lazy to re-type this myself so, check out these tips:

This procedure worked for me with an LG Optimus V I bought on cyber Monday. I am a noob at this, and there's a couple of things that might be helpful to clarify to those who are new with this procedure:

1. Mounting the SD card is essentially plugging it into the USB port of an available computer you can work with. When you are able to transfer files from the computer to the card then it is mounted. To unmount from the computer after transferring fies, use the option in your OS to eject or safely remove and then unplug so it won't remount automatically.

2. In this procedure you have to create the folder CM7 on your SD card when it is mounted to your computer.

3. The root level of the SD card is the top level when its mounted to your computer, but it is located at /sdcard when accessing it in the phone.

4. Watch out for spaces when typing in the terminal. Also, don't type the numbers at the beginning of each line.

5. OI File Manager isn't the only file manager that you can use. I already had Astro so I used that. Also there are several different terminal emulators that will work. I used the most popular one.

So those are just a couple of tips. Thanks for this great tutorial!

STEP ONE

Insure you are attempting this on a 2.2.2 Optimus V. Do this by going to "Settings" "About Phone" and look for heading titled "Android Version" it should say 2.2.2

Next, download from the Android Market: OI File Manager (or any file manager of your choice) and Terminal Emulator. Place these apps on your home screen. Now its time to un-mount your sdcard and mount it into your computer. Download the following:

GingerBreak-v1.20.Apk (Place all files in folder named "CM7" unless otherwise noted) --- GingerBreak-v1.20.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

[RECOVERY] CWMT Recovery 5.0.2.7-th7 (Unzip and place on root of sdcard, rename "recovery") --- http://www.mediafire.com/?201g7ayxbo4kmc2

Flash_image (unzip and place on root of sdcard) --- http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

BACKside-IHO-VM670-03132012 --- http://www.mediafire.com/?39v1znexsz7u18t
gapps-gb-20110828-signed --- Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki **Make sure to flash this right after flashing BACKside-IHO-VM670-11222011**

Flash Image GUI app -- (Optional)

GreenMachineTheme-03132012 --- (Optional) http://www.mediafire.com/?fjdbw6ygguk6ncj

Activate_Bootsound-signed --- (Optional) Activate_Bootsound-signed.zip

Blackmart Alpha 0.49_b92.Apk --- (App Market) Blackmart Alpha 0.49_b92.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

KeyLights-0.2.Apk --- (Optional, Makes hard keys light up per notification) KeyLights-0.2.apk

STEP TWO: ROOT

Re-mount sdcard back into phone.

Make sure USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Open up your File Manager and access your "CM7" folder and click on "GingerBreak". Follow prompts. Once inside GingerBreak app click "Root device". Your phone should now reboot, to make sure you successfully rooted your phone check your app drawer for SuperUser, If you have it your good. Another way to check is to go back into GingerBreak, if it gives you the option to un-root you know your good.

Congratulations, your Optimus V is now rooted! :D

STEP THREE: RECOVERY

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the recovery downloaded.

Or...

Open up Terminal Emulator and type:

1. su

2. mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

3. cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

4. chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

5. mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

6. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

7. reboot recovery

This sequence of commands will install, and reboot you into, the (hopefully) working recovery.

STEP FOUR: CM7+ Bonus

Note: use Volume rocker up and down to go up and down and the camera button to select

VERY IMPORANT , Do not do anything else before you make a backup of your current rom in case something bad happens. Go to "backup and restore" and click "backup". Next click on "wipe cache partition" click ok. Next click on "advanced" then click on "wipe dalvik cache". Now we need to format some partitions, click on "format boot" do the same for "system" "data" "cache".

Now for the fun, :) .

Click on "install zip from sdcard" and then click on "choose zip from sdcard". Now click on folder "CM7" and choose each one and apply them. Once finished go back to the main screen in the cwmt recovery and click "reboot system now".

If you wish to change the boot animation so your not "stuck" with the stuck animation visit this link --- [APP] Bootanimation Utility - 1.0.8 - xda-developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1034679

Congratulations, your Optimus V is now running CM7! :D

BONUS

Re-download OI File Manager from the Android Market and enter your folder "CM7". Click on "KeyLights" then install, :) . Now, be off and customize away. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!! :cool:

Photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315635345117923.94296.100000143801816&type=1&l=6586ed4590

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The tutorial is okay, but you shouldn't really tell people to download apps without listing what they do. Not to mention, some might not want the Green Machine theme or the boot sounds, you should list these as optional.

BlackMarket Alpha is for pirating paid apps. Assuming this is against forum rules. I'd take that off too.

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The tutorial is okay, but you shouldn't really tell people to download apps without listing what they do. Not to mention, some might not want the Green Machine theme or the boot sounds, you should list these as optional.

BlackMarket Alpha is for pirating paid apps. Assuming this is against forum rules. I'd take that off too.

Thank you, for your input and opinion. I added "(Optional)" to optional items. As for the BlackMarket Alpha app, you call it piracy I call it sharing. Just sayin... :)

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, for your input and opinion. I added "(Optional)" to optional items. As for the BlackMarket Alpha app, you call it piracy I call it sharing. Just sayin... :)

But, its against forum rules, so, unless you want your guide that looks like it took a bit to put together taken down, I'd remove that part.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought we were assuming things here, oops.

But, its against forum rules, so, unless you want your guide that looks like it took a bit to put together taken down, I'd remove that part.

Fixed. Btw, Thanks. :)

Last edited:

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's great help to me. But it drove me to crazy when I was inputing commands in Emulator.:confused:

Thanks!

The Emulator can be a pain in the butt, the first time i imput the code i had to do it a few times. Did you have any other trouble with the install? If you have any suggestions or input to update or improve this guide please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day! :)

Reactions: clone_zeta

Otterpapa

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! I gave this tutorial a shot with my new OV and I'm up and running now, but it took three attempts and a "Oh no I bricked it" scare before I got Backside going.

Apart from my own errors, there are a few things in the tutorial that I think should be clarified for someone who is doing this for the first time. I will try to post my suggestion in the next day or so. In the meantime, thanks again for putting this together!

gu357u53r

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! I gave this tutorial a shot with my new OV and I'm up and running now, but it took three attempts and a "Oh no I bricked it" scare before I got Backside going.

Apart from my own errors, there are a few things in the tutorial that I think should be clarified for someone who is doing this for the first time. I will try to post my suggestion in the next day or so. In the meantime, thanks again for putting this together!

Thanks, I would appreciate any information you could add to the OP. I am skeptical to go through with it, as I don't even have a plan on my phone yet, and I would rather not destroy my phone by misunderstanding part of the tutorial. I already purchased an app, GrooVe IP. Would I even be able to use that app under a custom ROM after rooting, and would I still be able to purchase apps? I feel like the main feature that I am really after is flash (To watch JTV, TwitchTV, and Veetle. I don't really want to use Skyfire's video function, it takes way to long.), and possibly the overclock feature to see if it helps with any games. If there is really no advantage in either of these instances then I probably won't go through with it.

mikelz85

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
did this yesterday, worked perfectly.

Also, my phone was new, didn't seem to have any issues with a boot loop whatsoever. Straight into IHO (was on 2.22, brand new phone, likely latest shipment)

Anyways, loving it. Still feel like I need to get my battery situated. Have minmax for CPU set at 728/200 (ish), and keep bluetooth, 3g, sync, etc turned off when not in use.

Should be sure to mention (maybe I missed it) that google apps need to be installed AFTER installing IHO.

Last but not least, follow the directions, BACK UP, and you'll be fine. In doing some reading, I'm not sure if you can actually PERMANENTLY brick your optimus V, besides hitting it with one. Everything seems recoverable, even if it might be frustrating/longer to fix.

Regardless, with this process, I'm not really sure what could go wrong. If something did go wrong, you have a backup to flash back into.

Wife has had this phone for a while, loves it. IHO makes it even better. Clean, fast, flashy. Still sorting the battery life though (then again, was watching video today, not sure how long you can push it with video...)

Big thanks to the OP. Was concerned since I saw issues with older guides and newer phones running 2.22 and shipping with optimus S displays, so I went with your guide since it was new. Great job!

I do think you could idiot proof it a little more, there were a "few" inferences I had to make, but only a few. This really was simple, and if the code lines could be copy/pasted/turned into a script, then it'd really be fast! Just watch out for typos, those command lines are tiny and hard to read.

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

No problem and thanks for taking the time to read and use my guide. I'm glad it worked for you. I will look forward to hearing your feedback. Have a good one! :)

Thanks, I would appreciate any information you could add to the OP. I am skeptical to go through with it, as I don't even have a plan on my phone yet, and I would rather not destroy my phone by misunderstanding part of the tutorial. I already purchased an app, GrooVe IP. Would I even be able to use that app under a custom ROM after rooting, and would I still be able to purchase apps? I feel like the main feature that I am really after is flash (To watch JTV, TwitchTV, and Veetle. I don't really want to use Skyfire's video function, it takes way to long.), and possibly the overclock feature to see if it helps with any games. If there is really no advantage in either of these instances then I probably won't go through with it.

Hi there, Yes you are able to use GrooVe IP on a custom rom, I just did two phones that are not activated and put GrooVe IP and they work great. You are also able to purchase apps, when you install gapps one of the google items is installed is the android market. The flash works great as i use it daily, I just found Veetle and use it almost every day. I'll have to check out JTV and TwitchTV. Now, for the overclock feature, I have mine set at min 245, max825 and dont see any major improvement. Maybe alil bit but not enough to make me jump for joy. I surely would not have taken the time to write this if i did not think it was worth it. In my opinion I think you should do it, the flash is a huge advantage to have. Just follow the guide and ask a question if your not sure of something. :)

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
did this yesterday, worked perfectly.

Anyways, loving it. Still feel like I need to get my battery situated. Have minmax for CPU set at 728/200 (ish), and keep bluetooth, 3g, sync, etc turned off when not in use.

Should be sure to mention (maybe I missed it) that google apps need to be installed AFTER installing IHO.

Big thanks to the OP. Was concerned since I saw issues with older guides and newer phones running 2.22 and shipping with optimus S displays, so I went with your guide since it was new. Great job!

As for your battery issue, JuiceDefender works great for me. juice defender is a powerful yet easy to use power manager app specifically designed to extend the battery life of your android. I would like to thank you for the kind words, :) . I will be making some updates and small changes to the guide soon, thank you for your suggestions.

can someone upload their nandroid backup...their factory backup of 2.2.2

I cant promise anything for tonight but if not tonight i will upload mine tomorrow.

Does this help? I'm having trouble uploading mine. LG Optimus S™ Froyo Software Package------> http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml

Last edited:

Eldon Jackson

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
LG Optimus V, Stuck in boot loop, frustrated.

Can someone please tell me what to copy onto my sd card so that my phone will boot. I may not be very bright so please keep it simple,

Where can I download FILE X from the following procedure?

1) remove sd card from phone
2) read sd card on pc (Windows 7)
3) copy FILE X[/B] onto sd card
4) put sd card back into phone and boot.

My phone is stuck in a boot loop. I get LG screen, VM splash screen, then sticks in "android" screen.

Using the Home key + Volume Down key + Start key puts me into this screeen:

Android system recovery (3e)
Android system recovery utility

reboot system now
apply sdcard;update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

Options 1, 2 and 4 don't help, and I'm too scared to use the factory reset option

My phone is successfully rooted. Trouble occurred when I was "freezing" programs using Titanium Backup Pro. Yes, I know that doing this without proper backup was stupid.

Please help me.

Reactions: Narcissic

gu357u53r

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to check out JTV and TwitchTV.

Did you check out these sites, and if you can play them with flash?

I know it's possible with the Skyfire video function, but it is very slow to load.

Does the flash player load these videos faster than the Skyfire way of playing JTV/TwitchTV streams?

What's the maximum bit rate that this phone can even handle before it starts crapping out?

This post states that the video camera on the V uses a 2000 bit rate.

The V's camcorder records at a video bit rate of 2000kbps, which I find pretty astounding for a phone, especially with a Class 2 card supplied OEM.

So I gather from this alone it would depend on if the streams are lower than 2000 kbps bit rate if they would even play, this is all assuming flash would even work. I know certain streams get special treatment with lower quality/high quality options, but the rest are set by the user. Although even I couldn't really stream 2000 kbps bit rate at 1280x720 on a decent Comcast line with a 3Mbps upload speed, it was hit or miss depending on the time of day. So I doubt there are many streams that go beyond this bit rate.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae