Ive rooted and romed my phone with IHO backside... now i see all this business about kernels, arent these things just, interface changes? i mean, the ROM is the OS of the phone, so what are the kernels and should i be aware of what they are/do in order to further screw with my phone o.O
    12-05-2011 01:41 PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)

My favorite layman's definition is by dan330:

it helps the OS talk to the Hardware... better efficient kernel.. helps the hardware work more efficiently with the OS.

ex:
    better kernels help overclock the CPU to perform faster.. when the OS needs the power.
    12-05-2011 03:10 PM
    The kernel is the engine, the ROM is the rest of the car. The car won't run without the engine, and will perform better with a better engine. Same with the kernel.
    jdcnosse likes this.
    12-05-2011 05:31 PM
    Aha, that makes sense. thanks ha.
    12-05-2011 05:56 PM
    The kernel is the engine, the ROM is the rest of the car. The car won't run without the engine, and will perform better with a better engine. Same with the kernel.
    thats an awesome explanation. I was thinking of a way to explain the kernel to the OP but you did it perfectly.
    12-05-2011 06:32 PM
    If anyone remembers the days of windows 3.11 u can compare the kernel to MS-DOS.
    12-05-2011 07:02 PM
    Heh, im only 24 and i remember MS-DOS
    jdcnosse likes this.
    12-05-2011 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD