Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JerryScript
  • 1 Post By theforerunner
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What exactly is a kernel..?

Ive rooted and romed my phone with IHO backside... now i see all this business about kernels, arent these things just, interface changes? i mean, the ROM is the OS of the phone, so what are the kernels and should i be aware of what they are/do in order to further screw with my phone o.O

ROM
    IHO CM7.2, Honeycomb

Default Re: What exactly is a kernel..?

)

My favorite layman's definition is by dan330:

it helps the OS talk to the Hardware... better efficient kernel.. helps the hardware work more efficiently with the OS.

ex:
    better kernels help overclock the CPU to perform faster.. when the OS needs the power.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

The kernel is the engine, the ROM is the rest of the car. The car won't run without the engine, and will perform better with a better engine. Same with the kernel.
    jdcnosse likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Aha, that makes sense. thanks ha.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    The kernel is the engine, the ROM is the rest of the car. The car won't run without the engine, and will perform better with a better engine. Same with the kernel.
    thats an awesome explanation. I was thinking of a way to explain the kernel to the OP but you did it perfectly.

If anyone remembers the days of windows 3.11 u can compare the kernel to MS-DOS.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Heh, im only 24 and i remember MS-DOS
    jdcnosse likes this.