Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    Electriccars's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by optimusvuser3 View Post
    A nice walkthrough, especially the links to particular apps you used.
    Thanks! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by optimusvuser3 View Post
    ...Once installed, I turned on write access to the system folders and then tabbed over to the terminal, and entered "flash_image recovery /sdcard/a.img" and OMG FINALLY, got it to work.
    Wow, good job man! Why does it always seem like the worst stuff happens to us? Lol. Congrats on getting your phone successfully modded! :-D

    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

    Edit: discovered that its necessary to install Flash_Image before it will work, sorry my bad I seemed to have unknowingly flashed it on our phones when going through "learning curves" and thus didn't know i needed to place it in the guide, i have since changed the guide to include it.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Hey, I used your guide to root/flash my BIL's brand new Optimus V. He bought it for Christmas and we rooted/flashed it last Saturday. I have an older Optimus V that I bought last summer with Android 2.2.1 and had long been lording my "built-in" portable hotspot capability over him. So, he finally dropped his old service, signed up for Virgin, bought the Optimus V, downloaded Quick Settings, tried to activate the hotspot (and failed), and then called me up told me that the hotspot doesn't work anymore (his phone came with Android 2.2.2).

    Whoops! Egg on my face.

    So, he and I sat down in front of your guide last Saturday afternoon and carefully stepped through the guide and ended up finishing it in just under an hour. It was super easy! First time he or I have ever rooted/flashed a phone so we were a bit nervous and were very cautious with each step. I appreciate the work you put into writing and maintaining your thread. After looking at many other threads, yours just seemed really clean. I'm going to have to root mine now!

    If you ever get up to Seattle, lunch is on me!

    cheers.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    Electriccars's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Quote Originally Posted by timid10 View Post
    Hey, I used your guide to root/flash my BIL's brand new Optimus V. He bought it for Christmas and we rooted/flashed it last Saturday. I have an older Optimus V that I bought last summer with Android 2.2.1 and had long been lording my "built-in" portable hotspot capability over him. So, he finally dropped his old service, signed up for Virgin, bought the Optimus V, downloaded Quick Settings, tried to activate the hotspot (and failed), and then called me up told me that the hotspot doesn't work anymore (his phone came with Android 2.2.2).

    Whoops! Egg on my face.

    So, he and I sat down in front of your guide last Saturday afternoon and carefully stepped through the guide and ended up finishing it in just under an hour. It was super easy! First time he or I have ever rooted/flashed a phone so we were a bit nervous and were very cautious with each step. I appreciate the work you put into writing and maintaining your thread. After looking at many other threads, yours just seemed really clean. I'm going to have to root mine now!

    If you ever get up to Seattle, lunch is on me!

    cheers.
    Thanks!

    Rooting a phone is a nerve racking experience, that's why I put together my guide for anyone who wants to do it from scratch, with no experience. I was scared out of my mind when I rooted my sisters Samsung Intercept for the first time, thinking i had bricked it several times. But when I got the Optimus V and had to start from scratch on that phone, I made a few mistakes as well, which i eventually got through.

    There are plenty of guides out there but I wanted everything important and useful for making the phone as awesome as possible all in one place! And that's what my guide is. And all-in-one start to finish guide for anyone who wants to root there LG Optimus V, and I intend on doing the same for my future phones

    I'm happy to see you did it without any issues at all! And will continue to update my guide as new things are found that make it even easier, and safer to use.

    Congrats on your friends root and i'll see if i make it to seattle anytime soon

    Happy New Year! (if i can still say that lol)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  
    Electriccars's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Hey everyone. I just updated the Guide once again to include a 6th note.
    It is regarding the Netflix app which i'm sure some of you have noticed doesn't work. The video and audio is out of sync and unwatchable. So I looked up online and discovered a thread that has multiple hacked releases of the Netflix App, in which they disabled the update check, I installed the first one V1.2.1 and am pleased to report that Netflix is now working and in sync! YAY! so check out the bottom of the guide to get Netflix on your phone! see ya.

    Update: This no longer works :-( I guess netflix fixed the "problem" if you could call it that. Oh well no Netflix on my phone anymore!
  5. #30  
    00_wrath_00's Avatar

    Posts
    657 Posts
    ROM
    Running Quattrimus ICS

    Default

    Good thing for short guide to refresh my memory lol. One thing I had to do to flash my recovery was to type flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/recovery.img. it would not read the SD card without the /mnt/ command. Maybe put that in the op as a fall back if flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img command comes up invalid. Just trying to help.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    i cant get it to root after downloading flash_zip. cvan you please help
    my email is cpinedahill@gmail.com
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    where do i do step 7 at please tell me at cpinedahill@gmail.com
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    hlpi
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    help
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    i really need help
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Electriccars's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Are you in recovery mode? Cause you say your stuck on step 7 which is after you make a backup in recovery mode.

    - Ron Paul Revolution, give us back our Constitution! Ron Paul 2012!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  
    Electriccars's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    And if you are in recovery mode, then just click the back button and go all the way back, then click what i say to in step 7.

    - Ron Paul Revolution, give us back our Constitution! Ron Paul 2012!
  13. #38  

    Default

    Hi my name is joe my email address is joeshelafoe25@gmail.com.

    First time on the site I love the help

    I was wondering if u could help me with rooting my v.

    I got super user on my phone and can't figure out what to do from there if u could help out with extensive step by step that would be gteatly appreciated
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    I want all the bloatware gone and my cpu faster. And anything u think could make my phone better/faster
  15. #40  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    First thing Joe, remove your email unless you love spam.
    Second, if you are rooted and have a recovery, make a backup in recovery, and look into putting a rom on it. That will get rid of the bloat and speed things up. I would recommend starting with Harmonia 1 since it is most similar to to stock. There is a link in my signature.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Very helpful...worked like a champ! Thank you for this!!!

    Got stuck momentarily on a couple things...but not a big deal as answers were all found in replies/comments above (unzip Flash and Recovery [a.img] files, ROM file stays zipped up).

    Runs great...it's like I just got a new phone
    notown likes this.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    thanks man helps a lot
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Please help me clarify this one point. Once renaming the Xionia_cwma... to a.img does it then go to root? Thanks
  19. #44  
    cole2kb's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,975 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Quote Originally Posted by simjacat View Post
    Please help me clarify this one point. Once renaming the Xionia_cwma... to a.img does it then go to root? Thanks
    Yes, you will rename the file and then place it in the root of your SD card.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    I went through all the instructions, and everything worked well!

    One problem has occurred after the fact. I cannot login to my gmail account now. I have a secondary email account that works fine, but my primary, which I have always used, no longer does on my Optimus V on Harmonia 2. It just says the login information is incorrect, which it is not. I can log in fine on any other device. Any precedent for this?

    Thanks.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  
    Electriccars's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

    Quote Originally Posted by nlorentz View Post
    I went through all the instructions, and everything worked well!

    One problem has occurred after the fact. I cannot login to my gmail account now. I have a secondary email account that works fine, but my primary, which I have always used, no longer does on my Optimus V on Harmonia 2. It just says the login information is incorrect, which it is not. I can log in fine on any other device. Any precedent for this?

    Thanks.
    Hmm. I'm not sure what could be causing that problem, try doing a factory reset in recovery, and if it still doesn't work, try re flashing, or flash a different version of Harmonia 2, if all that fails then follow the guide and flash bobzhomes ICS ROM. It is better then Harmonia 2 in my opinion. Unless you have to have a great hopspot, it hotspots just not as many devices work with it as do with Harmonia. Thanks for using my guide and good luck. :-)
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions