optimus V root w/ mac?

zuul7

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
greetings. newbie here looking for some info. not a super user and not trying to run the world from my phone. just sick of using this crappy rumor touch.

thinking of getting an optimus V and would like to upgrade to a gingerbread rom if i do but i have a few concerns.

1. i use a mac and am worried that most of the root instructions i have read are windows based or the mac instructions i have found are for intel based macs and i still use powerpc macs.

2. i rooted an old school HTC years back using the mac and it was a nightmare don't want to have to deal with all that again. (in the end i got it to work but i was moments away from bricking the thing.)

3. i've already read a ton of forums and was wondering what's the definitive "best" gingerbread root for the optimus V?

4. is it even worth rooting the phone? is gingerbread that much better than the 2.2. the phone comes with?

i also thought of the optimus slider they have for virgin mobile now but can't see paying 80 bucks more for a keyboard. although the phone comes preloaded with gingerbread. are the keyboard and gingerbread worth 80 bucks?

thanks everyone.

Reactions: kcls

tobashadow#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Get a dropbox account (don't even need to install anything on the Mac just use the web interface) move gapps and rom to dropbox then install dropbox app on phone and download the files.

Install and run Gingerbreak to root, install and run Rom Manager and ONLY I REPEAT ONLY!!!! choose install clockwork recovery do not dare choose install rom from there only the recovery!, Reboot to recovery and install rom and gapps from there using normal instructions.

If the recovery screen is blank, reboot back to stock rom by pulling battery and go to market install script manager and download this file from the mac and add and download to phone from dropbox - VM670NH_recovery.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Using a file manager move the above recovery img file to the root of the SD card, then open script manager and type in the following and it will reflash this recovery to the needed style.

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM670NH_recovery.img

After that is done just reboot back into recovery and it will work and then follow standard rom and gapps install.

I did my wife's phone while on a ChromeOS Cr-48 so if i can do it from that using that method a Mac can.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Rooting doesn't really even involve the computer anymore. You simply load an app on your phone, run it, and your phone is rooted. I'd go for the V. Typing, in my opinion, is pretty easy, and I have chubby fingers :p

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non