[Q] Time Without Signal bug fix?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This probably has more to do with slow downloads than the actual radio. 3g is much slower than wifi. Given equal time running, wifi will use more power, but instead downloads faster then idles down saving power. In idle mode wifi uses less than 3g while active.

When both radios are in the same state, 3g is more energy efficient.
My terminology is off. I am referring to idle as the phone in standby nothing but the occasional email push or weather update. My statement stands 3g would be better than wifi in this state of the phone.

Actually you can, at least on Froyo, it was an old trick to increase battery life before custom roms became mainstream.

Before anyone goes running off to find an app that does it (yes, they exist), keep in mind, that I have no idea how they will work with CM7, but even more worrisome is that many (including myself) have found them to cause network drops. Sometimes to the point of needed to restart the phone or re-activate the phone. Many argued this for weeks, however I could make mine drop the connection repeatedly as could a few others.
In the CM7 setting there is the ability to put the 2g/3g widget in the notifications bar, but if you do its greyed out like it wont work. Atleast for me it is. So I guess I should have said with CM7 roms for our phone it is limited by the rom. And yes I remember the whole debate regarding it.

IMO if you are going to install apps and scripts to limit how much battery is used to the point of making the phone dumb, why not just get a dumb phone? Pick up another battery or a extend battery. I use one app and with my useage it works fine. No special settings just the out of box settings. I do see people running scripts and using multiple apps just to get another 2 hours of battery. But in the end all they are doing is making the phone dumb. Increase the time between checking for emails, and updating the weather apps, rss readers and such. Most apps have a manual update/refresh if you are needing to check for something right then. Otherwise every 30-60 minutes is plenty of time. Plus it will give you more battery.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
IMO if you are going to install apps and scripts to limit how much battery is used to the point of making the phone dumb, why not just get a dumb phone? Pick up another battery or a extend battery. I use one app and with my useage it works fine. No special settings just the out of box settings. I do see people running scripts and using multiple apps just to get another 2 hours of battery. But in the end all they are doing is making the phone dumb. Increase the time between checking for emails, and updating the weather apps, rss readers and such. Most apps have a manual update/refresh if you are needing to check for something right then. Otherwise every 30-60 minutes is plenty of time. Plus it will give you more battery.
I totally agree, I bought an Android smart phone so I could use it as one.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply; I think this is the key:

The biggest point is as long as you limit the applications that use data in the background 3g will be better at idle than wifi. However while actively using data wifi is much better

I'm not interested in "limiting" my phone, personally. I'm at a happy spot now where I get less than 1% battery drain per hour when idle and the only thing I have disabled is Bluetooth. EVERYTHING else is on (GPS, Wifi, background data/sync, etc.). That's as it should be, IMO.

(for the record I was using Mirage, now using Harmonia 2)

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My terminology is off. I am referring to idle as the phone in standby nothing but the occasional email push or weather update. My statement stands 3g would be better than wifi in this state of the phone.

Just to be clear, this is exactly the opposite of my experience with IHO ROMs. My idle battery drain with Wifi turned off is ~3% per hour, vs. less than 1% per hour with Wifi on (and connected of course!). If there's no actual wifi connection (or even worse you're on something like hotel Wifi where the connection eventually times out) then the idle drain on wifi is TERRIBLE (8-10% per hour).

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply; I think this is the key:

I'm not interested in "limiting" my phone, personally. I'm at a happy spot now where I get less than 1% battery drain per hour when idle and the only thing I have disabled is Bluetooth. EVERYTHING else is on (GPS, Wifi, background data/sync, etc.). That's as it should be, IMO.

(for the record I was using Mirage, now using Harmonia 2)

Read my post LeslieAnn quoted. I too dont like limiting what my phone can do just to get more battery life. What I meant by limiting is increase the time between checking for updates. Your phone is still working like it was intended.

I use to try and figure out how to get multiple days out of a single charge then I realized I was turning my phone into a dumbphone. Like I said I use Green Power to extend the battery that is the only thing besides increasing the time gmail checks for updates. Everything else is default settings. On average I get 18-26 hours on a charge.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I know that you can force 1x data instead of 3g by switching to cdma only in the cyanogen settings. Maybe I'm saying something that's common knowledge or useless information, but if you want to slow your data, you can by switching network modes

Garymeister

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I cannot seem to have my 3G enabled. It only enables itself when wifi is enabled. This was never a problem before with original cm7 i don't think. I'm running BACKside IHO CM7.2 on OpV 2.3.7

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I know that you can force 1x data instead of 3g by switching to cdma only in the cyanogen settings. Maybe I'm saying something that's common knowledge or useless information, but if you want to slow your data, you can by switching network modes

Will switching to 1x data help with battery drain? I don't care about data speeds as long as everything still works.

I spent some time in the hospital visiting my dad a couple of weeks ago and it had a real weak signal. As a result I was losing about 15-20% an hour of battery life without even using the phone! Would switching to 1x mode help with that?

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Will switching to 1x data help with battery drain? I don't care about data speeds as long as everything still works.

I spent some time in the hospital visiting my dad a couple of weeks ago and it had a real weak signal. As a result I was losing about 15-20% an hour of battery life without even using the phone! Would switching to 1x mode help with that?

1x would probably drain your battery faster, it would make your phone work longer and harder to load everything that requires data. Your best bet would be to use airplane mode when you have a bad signal

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes but then I can't receive calls or texts. I'm not talking about using it for data during this time.

I know what you're getting at but I don't feel like my phone should go dead in just a couple of hours just because there's a weak signal. I understand how this happens but it seems to me that there should be some kind of setting to maybe increase the amount of time it spends searching for a signal or something of the sort.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If you have weak signal, you can always just disable the mobile data. Settings-Wireless and Networks-Mobile Networks-Disable Mobile Data.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The Time Without Single has more to do with Coverage then with a so called bug with the V. I get terrible single in my home and at times 80% or more TWS and if I leave driving around or go for a nice walk it drops to as low a 0%. Sprint is just very limited with their coverage, and do not focus on covering the Per-Paid as well: my neighbor has Cricket which also uses the Sprint network as as TWS just as bad has mine, and her daughter as a Sprint phone and has a high TWS as well.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
No, sorry, you haven't actually read what the TWS bug is.
TWS is what you claim, however the TWS bug leaves the indicator stuck at 50%.

So yes, while you may get a TWS of 80%, the bug will ALWAYS show you 50%. Almost all current roms have this patched.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No, sorry, you haven't actually read what the TWS bug is.
TWS is what you claim, however the TWS bug leaves the indicator stuck at 50%.

So yes, while you may get a TWS of 80%, the bug will ALWAYS show you 50%. Almost all current roms have this patched.

Oh, okay now I understand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie